“‘20%’ saving - not”

Holiday Inn Seattle Downtown
Ranked #68 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I had prepaid 3 weeks ago at a ‘20%’ saving but checking the web site the days before I would have been charged the same price. At check-in there was no acknowledge that I was a Gold club member, I asked if an upgrade was available and was told no but they did not charge the $10 per day parking.

The hotel was not busy and they are renovating so the entrance was a mess and a number of workmen where around all the time. The room was nice enough and had been updated but the window faced another wing of the building about 25 feet away. Carpets in the halls were filthy and some wall papering was done but not for the whole floor, a bit here and a bit there.

On the first night a child was running back and forth upstairs and it was VERY loud (not sure if the parents were there or not) called the front desk and about 10 minutes later it was a lot quieter. The second bight was better but still bouts of running.

Not overly priced for close to downtown and within walking distance of most interesting spots. A few blocks (6) from the Space needle and about 20 minutes from Pike Place Market & 15 from the centre of the city. About 3 blocks from free bus service in the downtown area but only used it to go to the football game.

I noticed that a few rooms had newspaper delivered to their door in the morning but not all. This place has to have the sloooooowest elevators (2). After waiting a few minutes I actually timed it and it was another 4.5 minutes for one to arrive. On another occasion someone said they waited 15 minutes for it to show.

They have a limited room service menu, a 2 dollar delivery fee, an 18% gratuity change, plus leave space on the bill for a tip.

Would I stay again, maybe, but would check out the HI Express right behind, at least you get breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tailes2
hijhatfield, Manager at Holiday Inn Seattle Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2011

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel!

I will look into the 20% discount issue that you mentioned, but I haven't come across any strange discrepancies like this yet with our system. I know that our rates, and hotel rates in general, do fluctuate, and that depending on how far a reservation is made in advance, it's not impossible that the room rates could rise or fall from that original rate prior to the check-in date.

Platinum members of Priority Club are guaranteed an upgrade that is based on availability to the best room of their room type, but we do our best to get everyone into a room that they will be happy with. Sometimes, such as on nights when we sell out of the more expensive rooms, upgrades like this are not available, and we have no choice but to give even Platinum Members the rooms that they actually reserved. I'm glad though that the desk attempted to get you into a nicer room, and that they made an exception for you regarding our parking policy. Hopefully the next time that you stay with us we'll have a better room available!

I saw you mentioned the Holiday Inn Express beside us, and I want to say that it is a great property as well, and if having a free breakfast and a pool is a defining factor of your hotel experience, I would highly recommend them. They, too, have a warm friendly staff, and we work very closely together as members of the IHG family. While we don't have the complimentary breakfast, or the pool, we have a greater focus on in-room amenities, such as the in-room microwaves and mini fridges mentioned in some of the other comments, larger rooms, and our full service restaurant and lounge, the newly remodeled Emerald Grill.

Reviewed November 17, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn. It is just a little walk into the heart of downtown(about 10 minutes), so it was a great way to start your day before grabbing your first cup of coffee. Super easy hotel to find, quick walk to the Light Rail, a few minute walk to downtown to all the restuarants and things to do. Close walk to the Space Needle.

The hotel was always very clean and they were doing matience, which they had signs all over for, but I never heard anything, and other than the signs never saw anything.

Our room had a kitchenette outside the bathroom that was great for me to get ready there while someone else would be taking a shower. Our room always was clean and tidy when we would come back at the end of the day. I never felt like anything was out of place or missing. The bathroom and room were up to date and well maintained. The bed was adequate and had plenty of pillows. Lots of extra room to hang up clothes or put them away.

The only downside was there was no breakfast, even to grab a quick piece of fruit before starting the day.

The front desk was helpful and kind, it was usually the same guy in the mornings that made sure we knew where we were going or if we needed anything else or had other questions. The only issue was when we were leaving and asked to have a cab to take us to the Light Rail Station. There was a lady at the front desk, who just gave us a blank stare and didn't help us and acted as if we were her biggest problem of the day.

Room Tip: Grab a snack from the market for breakfast. Know your streets to walk on to get to downtown. Take th...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We got this hotel using Hotwire...great deal!

It looks a bit older from the outside, but the inside is newly renovated and very clean. The desk staff was very friendly, and we were given a little bag with a bottle of water and microwave popcorn on arrival.

Our room was new and had a fridge, microwave and flat screen tv. They also provided a few disposable plates/cutlery for the microwave...fantastic idea!

We asked for a few extra towels as we had our two little girls with us...they were delivered to our room right away :)

We walked to the Space Needle and it took about 10 minutes. The hotel is on the other side of Aurora Ave (very busy road!) I wish the hotel was on the same side as the Space Needle, but oh well!

I've been to Seattle many times and have paid $200+ per night to stay at places like the Edgewater and the Monaco. I must say that this hotel is a FAR BETTER deal!

We will definitely be back to the Holiday Inn on Dexter! Thanks!!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank ChristinaK2011

Thank you for taking the time to fill out such a wonderful response about our hotel on Trip Advisor! We are actually still in the process of renovating some of the areas of the hotel, but so far everything that the renovations team has touched has been completely transformed, and we are on the edges of our seats, waiting for everything to be finished so that we can show off our beautiful property! I'm glad that you got to be a part of this process, and that you get to share in our excitement for the changes that are taking place.

Please come back and visit us soon, and prepare to be even more impressed!

Reviewed November 9, 2011

My 2nd stay at this location. The rooms are clean and well layout. There is underground parking and always availabe spaces even late at night. The hotel is in a quiet area but just a few driving minutes to the popular areas. I like hotels like this when i am traveling on business. A nice and clean hotel to rest after a day of hard work.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay, it really means a lot to us!

I hope you come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed October 26, 2011

A bit of a walk to Pike Street Markets. Not many restaurants within walking distance. If you have a car it is easy to get around. I'd recommend for couples or the busy traveller.

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you so much for your feedback!

It's true we are about a fifteen minute scenic walk from the Pike Place Market, and the front desk is always willing to point out some good places to eat on one of our complimentary local walking maps, and have proven to be a valuable resource to many of our guests as far as making reservations at restaurants, and making recommendations on things to do in the city. There are actually quite a bit of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, including our own restaurant the Emerald Grill, which has great daily specials, as well as the Flying Fish, the Hurricane Cafe, SeaStar, Shilla, Blue Moon Burger, Portage Bay Cafe and more! We love being in a location that makes both the Downtown and the blossoming South Lake Union areas only a short walk away.

Thank you again for your comments! We're excited that you enjoyed your time with us, and that you took the time to give us some feedback about your experience, and we can't wait to show you some great places to eat next time you're in town!

Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed there for 3 days (2 rooms). Both rooms were not cleaned at all for 1 day, after complaining they apologized and offered fresh towels! When we arrived we couldnt park on the curb for check in because the manager told us big buses would be arriving and we had to make space for them, the entrance was being painted so we couldnt park there either so we had to find a spot down the street. On our last day although you have to pay for parking, it was full, after asking where we could park we were told rudely to find a spot on the street, but there was no spot on the street, so we asked if we could park in the check in zone and were told we would be ticketed if we did. After getting a bit upset the person in charge offered graciously to take the charge for the parking off our bill as a solution, but we still had no parking space, after back and forth he wrote us a note so we could use the parking space of a parking lot 2 blocks away.... This would all not have been a big issue if the staff would have been friendlier but they were short in responses and acting like nothing was their problem. Too bad the service was like this, the hotel is nice and the location great but I would never stay there again! The emerald grill whish is beside the hotel and offers breakfast, lunch and dinner is great! The staff there was the opposite of the hotel staff! Food was good and people superfriendly!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Anjafr
hijhatfield, Manager at Holiday Inn Seattle Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2011

I want to apologize on behalf of my staff. As you can see from the other comments on Trip Adviser they typically excel at providing excellent customer service to our guests, and we pride ourselves in our service culture and our ability to truly make a guest's stay with us special. I am going to hold a meeting with my staff to make sure that this never happens again, and ensure that they are properly equipped to uphold the experiential quality that our guests have come to expect.

While I can see why they would suggest the street parking, as it is free for a duration of the night, there is no reason to suggest it in a rude way. Sometimes guests staying with us will bring more than one vehicle, and this can potentially result in the parking garage becoming full, and because of this we've made a deal with a third party parking lot, who offer our guests discounted parking, which as you mentioned, is roughly a block south of the hotel.

Again, I can't stress how sorry I am that my staff came off as rude, and I hope that the next time you stay with us your experience, and the experience of our other guests, will benefit from and be improved upon because of your comments, and the actions that we are taking to prevent similar concerns from surfacing in the future. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and your concerns, and for your patience and your understanding.

Reviewed October 1, 2011

We stayed here after booking through Priceline. The staff was very friendly when we checked in. When we got to our room, we realized it had two queen beds, so I called the front desk and asked if we could have a room with a king. Not only did they accommodate us, but they gave us a spacious corner room!

Everything was very comfortable and relaxing. The construction was a bit of a downer, but they apologized in advance, and it will be even better when it's done. Also, the parking garage is a little wonky; the place to swipe your room key is on the left side of the entrance so it makes it rather difficult when you first go in. If they could move it to the middle, it would be much easier. However, it's a secure garage and pretty comparable to any other parking in the area at $10/night. Definitely worth the money, and we'd probably do it again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple