“The most unfriendly Holiday Inn Express I've ever stayed at.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline
Ranked #70 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I'm being nice by giving it a "poor" rating. The staff was very unfriendly. Whenever we went in and out, they never even bothered to look up from their computers or personal devices to greet us or even give us a smile in the lobby. We didn't get our priority club member box of goodies when we arrived either. The breakfast was not up to par. When they came to service the room, they threw our extra blankets on the floor and even forgot to refill the toilet paper. When we are back to the Seattle area next year, we will definitely find a better place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 717Lee
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear 717Lee,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused you. I have taken note of your comments regarding housekeeping and the staff, these will certainly be looked into. We do value the comments we receive from our guests as these help us improve the quality and service that we offer.

Connie D

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Pros: fairly economical, free continental breakfast that is typical of Holiday Inn Express hotels (though the replenishing of food was a little delayed due to many people in the hotel)

Cons: in a shady neighborhood, not located in the hub of Seattle (although downtown is about 20 min away), tight parking.

The building is going through construction, so the rooms are all updated, clean bathrooms. I was disappointed by the lack of friendliness by the staff.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd pick another hotel closer to the city for a few more bucks.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dallasworldtraveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear Dallasworldtraveler,

Thank you for taking time to write us a review. I am pleased you liked our room accommodations. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience the staff may have caused. I will follow up with the staff to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Pam G.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently had a booking issue at this hotel, and the hotel manager was fantastic in dealing with it. He made things right and really went above and beyond to fix the situation immediately. We would definitely stay here next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a good Holiday Inn Express, a remodeled property in North Seattle. The Northgate shopping, dining, and entertainment area, as well as the University district, are close by. Initially I was worried about the morning and afternoon commute to/from downtown, but I-5 was surprisingly free-flowing for most of the drive to and from on all three weekdays that I drove. The hotel is a typical HIE with all the standard amenities and standard breakfast found at the hotel chain's properties. I had no problems with the stay, and my room was clean and comfortable. The only two gripes that prevent me from giving the hotel a rating of "Excellent" are these: a tiny parking area that fills to capacity some nights, a part of which only compact cars are able to fit. At least it was free of charge to park. The other issue was the horrible internet access. When it worked, it was fast, but frequently throughout the evening, every 20 minutes or so the router would redirect my browser to the log-in page - over and over and over. Once is enough for the whole stay, thank you.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ajnuff
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed here on business and it was poor to ok. They had renovations going on downstairs which wasn't such an issue. Some reviewers said it was for them. They appeared to be at the tail end of the renovations. The issue was the location. It was in a busy area with nothing desirable around it. It was very loud at night due to 99. Also the parking lot was small and the renovation truck took up a lot of spaces. Not many available. I should have stayed further north near at the HIE in Lynwood area. I will next time I go back to Shoreline.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CBH_16
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear CBH_16,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with the location of our hotel, the noise and the parking area. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Karen C

Reviewed June 20, 2012

it was kind hard to find that location in first time, but room and breakfast was good.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mona9929
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Stayed here with friends (8 of us; 4 to a room) for a couple of nights (June 15th & 16th, Friday and Saturday) on a trip to Seattle and our stay was ruined both nights by apparent complaints about the noise that we were apparently making. The first night after the notification of complaint from management, we quieted down our chatter and laughter, which already was strange because it did not seem to be at a level that was in any way unreasonable. 15 minutes later we received a call from management again, telling us to quiet down, to which we responded that there was no noise coming from our room. The complaints ruined our plans indoors for the evening, so that was night one.
Second evening, after coming back from dinner, 3 of us were in our room at about 10pm. The TV was on, showing Spiderman, and none of us were talking, when the manager Tim visited again, complaining about noise from the rooms "in our area". It must be noted that our room was left half an inch ajar with the latch when this happened. I asked Tim whether he thought the noise level he'd heard from the hallway (while the door was ajar) was unreasonable to him, to which he responded "no, it is not unreasonable to me, but it is my job as manager, when we receive a complaint, to investigate and resolve the issue." He went on about how this was the protocol to follow at the hotel, though my impression was that he was stuck with a complaint that was unreasonable in the first place, but he didn't know how to resolve it besides pointing fingers at the first room he'd heard sounds coming from in that area - REGARDLESS of the fact that even HE did NOT think the noise was at an unreasonable level. My friend and I at that point lodged a complaint to Tim against the unreasonable complaints that had ruined our stay, to which he assured us that it would also be addressed. Tim went on his way to alert our friends in the next room, which prompted my friend who'd booked the rooms to formally lodge a complaint downstairs in the lobby. Tim promised my friend a 5% discount off our rooms, which did not undo the damage, but we stayed the night feeling like trapped prisoners, yet again. Next day, our promised discount was not included in our checkout bill, and talking to the day manager did not help things, since he maintains that Tim had pointed out that it was specifically our rooms that had been making all the noise the night before. So, it's now a game of he said she said, with us coming out the accused perpetrators with the dissatisfied experience.

So the lesson we learned is, if you want to turn on a television, and chat with your family/friends without getting a noise complaint, don't stay at a Holiday Inn, because they either have very thin walls, their visitor demographic is people who needs complete utter silence to sleep, or they have management who could think of no other alternative to deal with a complaint than pointing fingers, even though on principle they don't think you are at fault. I know we won't be coming back.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 412 & 413, where our normal chatting noise level apparently provoked complain...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank from_van_BC
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear from_van_BC,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Seattle. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Zelyn N.