“pretty darn good stay”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown
Ranked #44 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed December 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed here recently as we were attending a show at the paramount theater. Check in was a breeze and the front desk were very friendly. I was also pleasantly surprised with our room. I thought, since we had a room with one queen bed, that it would be small, but the bathroom area was nice and spacious, we had a small couch and a patio. The complimentary microwave popcorn, water and coffee in room was a nice little touch too. The view from our patio wasn't much to look at, an old building with ugly curtains, but not a big deal for me. We walked downtown to the paramount among many other places and location was great for that (was about a 10-15min walk to Pike St). We returned to the hotel by taxi cab and it was cheap (about $6!). The free parking is quite cramped and very limited, we were lucky to get a spot although, we did arrive early, so I would recommend that, if possible. For the price I paid, I have to say that I was pleased with our stay. If your just coming into town for a show or sports event, I would totally recommend this hotel, however, if youv'e never been to Seattle before, I would stay somewhere closer in to the center of town with a nicer view and surrounding area.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wine O
Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

Reviewed October 25, 2010

This hotel is in a good location with great WiFi, large clean room,fridge, microwave, coffee maker and a balcony with a view on the space needle. There is also a pull out couch in the room. Staff were very good with a hot breakfast served each morning. Free parking is available both on and off site. Tours pick you and drop you at the door. Bottled water and popcorn greet you on check in.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank cleoder
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Generally a good standard. Noticed a few cleanliness issues which would have been simply resolved with a wipe of a cloth so I think cleaning regime needs reviewing. My Wife notice a stick sugary stain on a table outside of elevator and it was there for the 2 nights we stayed i.e. no cloth run over this common area.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed August 18, 2010

The hotel is close to the space needle, and not too far from the Pike Place Market and has reasonable (for Seattle) rates. While the hotel could use some work, the staff is pleasant and helpful, and the beds are super comfortable. This alone goes a long way to making me happy. We stayed pre and post cruise with them, and were satisfied with the choice of hotels.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SherW24
Reviewed July 20, 2010

The curtains fell off the wall the 1st night while we were sleeping which is s problem with an office building directly behind us. The phone didn't work. The air conditioning barely worked. The worst thing was that the bottom of the bathtub "squished". I can only imagine the amount of mold under the tub!! On top of that, a guest pulled the fire alarm and we were visited by the local and professional fire fighters at 3:00 AM. Without a car, you will do a lot of walking since the location is closest to but several blocks away from the Space Needle, shopping and public transportation. The best thing - it was a block from Whole Foods. The staff was friendly but powerless to do much about the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Merlot2010
Reviewed June 30, 2010

At 6AM in the morning, a violent and insistent phone ringing woke me up. I jumped out of bed to answer it, dreading some kind of horrible urgent news, only it was a pleasant recording informing me that this is my wakeup call. But we had not requested one.

“What's going on?” my husband's sleepy voice asked. And our two young children began to roll in their bed, and rubbing their eyes.

So I dialed the front desk to find out.

“Your wake up call service just called our room at six, except we didn't request this wakeup call!” I announced the complain in my most irritated quiet voice.

“....I didn't do it.” the voice on the other end said.

What kind of answer is this?! I found out that the voice belongs to Aldrich.

“Well, who did?” I had to go along.

“...let's see...the person before my shift...could be Cory,” Aldrich.

This surprised me even more that his first reply. I had not expected Aldrich to actually produce a prime suspect for me. It is too early to keep this going.

“Actually, I don't care if it is you or Cory, don't you think you should apologize to me?” I opted to suggest the most entry level customer service etiquette to Aldrich.

“Would you like to speak with my manager?” Aldrich asked me.

“Why?” wondering why he didn't just issue me an apology.

“Because you sound upset,” Aldrich dryly stated his reason.

I declined Aldrich's invitation. Because I much rather go back to sleep.

At 9AM, I decided to see if another hotel representative might like to apologize to me.

Marisol was equally unapologetic, plus a tense and defensive face, minus the humor that Aldrich unwittingly indulged. The conversation with Marisol mostly consisted with a series of possible excuses to explain how none of this is anyone's fault. The most interesting excuse is that their wake up call system will sometimes just randomly call and wake guests up. Marisol assured me that it only happens about once every 3 months, plus the one time, when their phone system kept call this one room everyday for no reason. She said they are machines, so mistakes can happen with machines.

Actually, by this point, I had my own suspect in mind.

If it is intentional, it had to be the person that checked me in the previous day. I think her name is Yesenia. We wanted to check in early, and was told the room would be ready by 1:45PM. Well, we didn't check in until a little after 3PM. Yesenia reminds me of someone who has been in the service industry for too long, and is so jaded, that she harbors a disdain for anyone walking around with luggages. She was unfriendly and rude. As I finally got my room card key, I couldn't hold it in anymore, and I told her that she could be nicer.

Later that evening, my husband picked up the phone and called the front desk, and requested a 9AM wake up call. We did this just to avoid another potential 6AM call.

Their menacing wake up call rang our room again at 6AM! I kid you not!

FURIOUS!! MAD!! I dialed the front desk again. Somehow my furor toned down a bit when I heard Aldrich's voice on the other end again. He needed to be dealt in a different way.

“Aldrich, Cory woke us up again.” I informed Aldrich. At least this time, he came up with a slightly more appropriate response.

“OH NO!” Aldrich.

I asked Aldrich to tell his hotel management about this and went back to bed. Later that day, we left at 11AM, and came back to our room a little after 5PM. Our room had not been cleaned. So we called the front desk to request our room cleaned and for new towels. They told us that housekeeping has left for the day.

We were excited that we were leaving this hotel the next day at 5:30AM for an early morning flight.

If you are someone who like to pay $185 a night (tax included) for a small and outdated room, managed by 3rd world country motel operators, then this place is a special heaven for you. But I still urge you to not stay in room #603, because this is the room that their wakeup call machine likes to call for no reason.

La Quinta should be ashamed!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank HappyTraveler852
Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is not the Ritz....it's a La Quinta that has really good prices for the Seattle area. My husband and I stayed two nights pre-cruise. We stayed on the third floor in a corner room with one queen bed. The room had a balcony and a pretty good view of the Space Needle. It was actually a pretty large room. There was a separate sink in the dressing area with a large mirror and then another sink in small bathroom with the toilet and bath tub. The breakfast was fine, with Belgian Waffles, toast, cereal, biscuits, gravy, fruit, and yogurt. The location was about a ten to fifteen minute walk to the Space Needle and probably a 20 minute walk to Pike Market. IThe La Quintat is located a few blocks from the Light Rail Westlake Station, which takes you to Sea-Tac airport for $2.50 in about 30 minutes. As has been mentioned before, there is a Whole Foods market a couple of blocks away as well as a wonderful pizza place (Tutta Bella Neapolitan Pizzaria) that is located in the shopping area upstairs from the Whole Foods by the Pan Pacific Hotel. The hotel front staff was very nice and held our luggage for us while we did some last minute sight-seeing before leaving for the cruise terminal. We had the front desk staff call for a Town Car to take us to Pier 91 (where Holland America docks). It was about a 15 minute drive and cost $20 before tip. I was pleased with our stay there for the two nights. We didn't have a car with us, but they do have free parking and free wireless internet. It isn't super fancy, but I found it to be clean and very acceptable.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple