“Total scam artists - use another company!”
Review of Seattle Tours

Seattle Tours
Ranked #96 of 163 Tours in Seattle
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I've lived in Seattle for 13 years, but my mom lives in Virginia. She only wanted two things this last trip - to see me, and to see some whales. She booked a whale watching excursion through SeattleTours.us. What a bunch of crooks!

Maybe that's unfair. Perhaps I should just say that they have engineered a system whereby they are extremely likely to take an exorbitant amount of money from you without providing any service WHATSOEVER.

After her purchase was made online, we received an email stating 1) That this was not our ticket; 2) that our ticket would be emailed to us "before our trip" (which was scheduled for the next morning), and 3) that ALL PURCHASES WERE ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NON-REFUNDABLE, NO MATTER WHAT. (That part was reiterated for several paragraphs. Red flag? Should have been. But let's continue.)

This email also contains no departure point information. I recheck the original listing - no, there's no address. "Check the FAQ," says Mom. I do, and lo and behold, it says that the departure point will be revealed to us, like some mystical secret, on our ticket email. Which should arrive, as I said, "before your trip." Uh... Okay.

Bright and early the next morning we check for the email. Nothing. So we call the number on the confirmation email. The representative puts us on hold and tells us that the tour company has informed her that there's no possible way we can make our 1:30 tour if we're still in Seattle. "That's ridiculous," I say - "it only takes 90 minutes to get to Anacortes, and it's 10 a.m."

"Oh, you have to take a ferry to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island," she tells me. Well, this is why the location might be a good thing to let people know. Does it change? Why the secrecy? Even the representative seems to think there's something hinky going on here, so she puts me on hold again. She comes back to tell me that they've rescheduled us for the 5:30 trip.

Okay. Great. We hop in the car at noon and start driving - better ridiculously safe than sorry, right? We grab some drive-through fast food, take a quick bathroom break, and arrive at the Anacortes ferry terminal at 2:20, and inform the ticket agent that we are going to Friday Harbor. He laughs. I wonder why. We've just missed the 2:00. The next sailing is hours away, and arrives on San Juan Island at 5:50.

I call the tour company, and a smirking woman tells me that the boat will be gone by then. They can't hold the boat 20 minutes because "then we're dealing with sunset." Um, no, you're not. I live in Seattle. Unless the laws of physics are reversed here, the days are not getting shorter the further north you go in June, and last night it was light until 10 p.m. It's a 3 hour tour. But whatever.

Where I become convinced that this is all by design, though, is that when my Mom goes to see about a refund of get $60 ferry fare, she doesn't even get the words out. "We were going to catch a whale watching trip -" she begins, and the ferry agent finishes, "and you need a refund." Seems this happens ALL THE TIME. When he called for assistance with the refund, the manager knew what was up before we could tell her, too. As it turns out, all the tours are scheduled half an hour BEFORE each ferry landing, so you either have to get there hours and hours early and sit around, or you're going to miss your tour. The ferry agents were sympathetic, and almost as disgusted as we were. "Next time, you should take one of the ones that leaves from Anacortes and skip the ferry altogether," the agent tells us, and recommends a couple REPUTABLE ones.

Too late for us, but maybe not for you. Take our advice and book elsewhere.

9  Thank ClassicGirl79

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I would suggest this tour to anyone who wants to be shown not only all of the touristy area's of the city, but also to get the history of the entire city. This was suppose to be a three hour tour which turned in to a four hour tour because of our Guide "David". David did an excellent job as our tour guide and not only made sure that we saw the area's we were suppose too, but also several others which were not on the brochure. We saw all of the city of Seattle including the very different residential area's. We were also given several opportunities to get out and get some pictures of the city, and visited several unique businesses. This tour was well worth the time and money.

5  Thank Bob P
Reviewed May 30, 2013

If you like to be trapped in a mini bus for 4 hours driving around Seattle, not able to get out when they drive you by the market, Space Needle... This is the tour for you. I think the driver/guide lost me when he made a remark while driving in Chinatown: I hate Chinese food because Chinese people eat anything that moves. Really??! When we decided to leave the tour I was forced to give the driver $10 for disrupting the tour. Visit Seattle on your own!

2  Thank Vicente R
Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a wonderful experience and so reasonable at 94.00 each! The tour picks you right up from the hotel in Seattle and you have a 6-8 tour of mount rainier. The tour guide has jackets snow shoes and lots of information to share.

We love it and I highly recommend it.

1  Thank Annette M