Japonessa Sushi Cocina
Reserve with OpenTable
Japonessa Sushi Cocina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #130 of 4,321 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Union
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Am a Seattle native and loved to discover this sushi restaurant in the middle of downtown Seattle. The atmosphere was really awesome, the people watching out the window fun. I got the chicken yakisoba, brown rice, and salad and it was $9-that was incredibly reasonable; my family split 3 sushi dishes, loved them, and couldn't finish them (which is a rarity). You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had a good meal at this restaurant. Hostess was friendly and attentive, giving us updates while we waited a short 10 mins. for a table. The decor of the restaurant was fabulous. Our waiter was amazing. He was so friendly and knowledgable, I swear he could have been the owner. We started with their fabulous miso soup! It was fantastic and only $2! Our orders included the Legend roll, Salmon, Ultimate Dragon roll and chicken yakisoba. Everything was absolutely delicious. The only thing that would be nice is a few more options for those who don't like sushi, but would like to eat with their friends that do.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been here dozens and dozens of times and it is always happy hour with 1/2 price sushi rolls! Fabulous place!

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I was in seattle for a conference and had a craving for sushi. Ran across this place on 1st Street and it was a great find. I got the spicy redhead, spicy yellowtail and plum wine sangria. Everything was great the waiter was attentive. I sat at the sushi bar and the chief was very nce and talkative. The only reason i dont give it five stars is the hostess was very slow and it tool her 15 min to even address the the couple in front of me to put there name down to be seated. Its like she didnt care about our time. Once you get past that hurdle its a great experience.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Let me start by saying that I love sushi though (especially after watching the film Jiro dreams of sushi) I know very little about the "art". I do know, however, that I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who liked sushi and found themselves in downtown Seattle.
Pro's: I first have to give it up to the wait staff. If I am going to what is supposed to be something a bit higher end than the Golden Corral (with all due respect), I expect some professionalism in the staff. I don't know if it was just this shift but we showed up around 1:15 on a Sunday afternoon and were treated amazingly by the staff that was so efficient and helpful they added to the dining experience. As to the food...the I got the Bento and my wife ordered the Tres Diablos. The miso soup was the best I have ever had. The Tres Diablos roll? We ordered it because (as others have pointed out) part of the charm of this place is to find (fusion) sushi...not your typical roll. It was delicious! The first bite and I just had to make a little yummy dance...and it takes a lot to force one to make a yummy dance in public. The last pro would be that the lunch specials and menu was top notch and reasonably priced (but did not feature the Tres Diablos roll).
Cons: We were able to be seated with relative ease though the seating was "tight" and when we went in were asked if we had reservations...translation "It gets busy and I suspect we were somewhat lucky to get a table right away". The prices were reasonable but this is not your conveyor belt sushi prices. I have a problem saying it is a "con" but just know what you are getting yourself into. The lunch specials were defiantly a value but if you order off it you miss out on the special nature of the place.
Bottom line is the pros well outweigh the cons of this restaurant. There are some stellar sushi restaurants around the sound but I challenge you to find one better than this downtown.