“Would've licked my plate!”
Review of Book Bindery - CLOSED

Book Bindery
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Reservation for 5/23 - we thought ... wrong, made it for the 30th but they graciously sat us at a table near the bar and our evening began. Not stuffy; very warm and friendly. Every dish was amazing. Lobster risotto was plate licking worthy! Pork belly was tender and full of flavor. Sea scallops melted in my mouth and duck breast was to die for. Once again, not foodies - just diners looking for meals worth our hard earned dollars. Would go back again but heard they're closing in June.

There are newer reviews for Book Bindery

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Wonderful location next to the water. Very professional service. Beautiful presentation. Very fresh Halibut. Did a wonderful job of modifying a past dish for a vegetarian.
Would love to return.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I was very excited to try the Book Bindery after hearing a lot of hype, so I went there with a friend celebrating a special occasion.

It was a mixed experience.

Service was mediocre. We were warmly greeted by the hostess and promptly seated. We then waited 20 minutes to be acknowledged by a server, which I find unacceptable at a restaurant of this caliber and price point. At this juncture, we ordered cocktails; these took another 20 minutes to arrive. So, 40 minutes into the meal, we had cocktails--no discussion of the menu, etc. Thankfully, it had been some time since we'd seen each other, so we were able to laugh off the awful start and focus on catching-up with one another.

Thankfully, the attentiveness of the service improved after the slow start. However, the pace of the meal was VERY slow--we had an 8:00p reservation and were not done until just after 11:30p. The server brought us complimentary glasses of a delicious dessert wine in acknowledgement of the slow pace of the meal and to thank us for our patience, despite us not having said anything. I thought that was a very nice gesture, and it ended the meal on a nice note.

Ambiance was a mixed bag, too. I thought the main restaurant was really great, with a lovely bar and a relaxed, house-like feel. Unfortunately, we were seated in a glass enclosure just off the bar. This felt like a glass garage--little to no decor beyond the table and zero "vibe." I guess I expected something better than that given the price point. If I go back, I will definitely ask to be seated in the main dining room.

The food had highs and lows. The tuna crudo and white beans and clams were a superb start to the meal. A third member of the party ordered the foie gras terrine; whilst beautifully presented, its flavor was average. For the main, one person got the rabbit, which was delicious. Two of us got the pork rib-eye and found it mediocre--the meat itself was dry and needed flavor (what accompanied the pork was excellent). All food was gorgeously presented. Overall, however, I felt it was not nearly as good as other Seattle establishments with a similarly expensive price point.

So, it wasn't so terrible that i would not return, but I would not put this at the top of my list of Seattle "must try" dining destinations.

1  Thank brmusicman
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Loved looking out at the scullers going by on the river/canal. Fabulous service. Pasta was incredibly delicious; halibut was good but essentially halibut. Enjoyed lobster risotto and some kind of pork belly starter--both were yummy. A beautiful restaurant and we thoroughly enjoyed dinner.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Food and service is amazing, restaurant has a spacious feel. Great place for a special occasion
The wine tasting upstairs was a tasty, wine paired well with the rabbit, steak and scallops; beautiful
presenation