“An oasis in the middle of town madness”

Talaris Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 27 Seattle B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Talaris Conference Centre last week. Let me tell you about our experience! Very well situated with a central location neighbour to the University of Washington.

Not only the room was nice, well decorated and comfortable but the landscape on the premises was very impressive. The breakfast were so completed and well organized every mornings. An "oasis" is seriously an understatement!!!

And what to say about the staff?!?!? They were so nice, always willing to help out in anyway possible. So knowledgeable about the city and how to go about to visit the town! Always smiling when we would go in to ask questions.

Hopefully there will be room again for my next Seattle visit!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
TalarisCC, Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear guest-

All I can write is "WOW"!!

You did an amazing job of capturing why Talaris is such a special place. Thank you for telling the world and for sharing your time with us. We welcome you back any time.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel was very clean and well kept, the rooms were quiet. The Keurig in the rooms was a treat. The property is absolutely beautiful; we saw an eagle's nest while we walked the grounds. The view from the breakfast room is gorgeous and relaxing and the breakfast was delicious; a very wide spread for a Continental breakfast. The staff was friendly and helpful and the room was very affordable for the area. Very close to Seattle Children's if you are wondering. I was very pleased with what I received for my $.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking, be sure to let them know when you book a room; because some of the room...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
TalarisCC, Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear guest-

Thank you very much for your kind review! I am so glad you got to enjoy our resident eagles while relaxing at breakfast on the waterfront!

Please come see us again.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Needed a hotel to stay at for my son's upcoming surgery at Children's Hospital. This place was so utterly gross, we left after one night at went elsewhere. Huge spider on wall, gnats all over, the tiny room we were in only had 2 double beds, and there were 4 of us. Our bed was 3' from the door. The a/c was weak, buttons missing on the thermostat, the bathroom had bacteria growing in the grout, weird towel bar in an inconvenient spot in the shower, no microwave, only 1 K-cup of regular coffee (for 4 people?), no directional signage in parking lot to show where to park or check in, not enough electrical outlets to plug in phone chargers, bathroom door wouldn't even latch closed, cobwebs around door hinges, ripped carpet....should I go on? This place needed remodeling a long time ago. Never coming back. They required a 72 hour cancellation policy, and by the time we arrived it was too late for us...We travel quite a lot, and have stayed in many hotels....this was just creepy. Two of us got flea bites on our ankles within a few minutes of arriving in our room.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest-

I am very sorry to hear of your experience at Talaris. I apologize that your room was not up to our standard in terms of cleanliness and appearance.

Clearly we could have and should have done better. I would love to speak with you directly to attempt to resolve your concerns if possible-please see my contact information below.

Thank you for your feedback, it only helps us improve.

206-268-7000

Reviewed June 6, 2013

In the midst of a hectic family event, we were able to retreat to our room in the midst of huge, old trees, vast expanses of lawn, ponds with fountains as if we were miles away from the traffic and noise of the city. The calm and serenity was so appreciated as well as the courtesy and genuine hospitality of the staff. Talaris has more the feel of a B&B than a conference center. Although if I were hosting a multi-day meeting, workshop etc, this would be "the Place"!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
TalarisCC, Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear guest-

Thank you for your amazing review!

I'm sorry to hear about your hectic family event-but glad we could be part of the solution!

Come back anytime-for an event or just for some overnight relaxation. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

As some other reviewers have already mentioned, I almost don't want to tell anyone about this place and instead keep it as my little secret. Upon arrival, we couldn't believe how gorgeous the property was - acres of greenery just a couple of minutes drive from downtown Seattle. Something like 31 units on 18 acres of land - with fountains and trees everywhere. They allow dogs (and only charge a flat fee instead of a nightly fee) which was great. The place was clean; staff were friendly; and surroundings were unmatched - and the price was very reasonable as well. Far cheaper than anywhere downtown where they'll also charge you at least 30 bucks a night to park your car (Talaris has free parking). Anyway, I can't say enough good things about this place - we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest-

Thank you so much for telling everyone about your secret!

Free parking, low-priced dog friendly, and free breakfast? That's us!

Thanks for your kind words-we can't wait to have you back.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

This place was exceptional and a gem to find. I would stay again in a heartbeat. We went for a couples vacation but this is the perfent place for a conference, course and many people stay while they are having treatment at the university or childrens hospitals.
Breakfast was wonderful and the grounds are so peaceful. The staff is fab.

Room Tip: Check in advance as they do not have king rooms, only queens and two beds in the rooms. We booked wi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
TalarisCC, Manager at Talaris Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear guest-

Thank you so much for your recent visit and review.

I am glad you were able to enjoy the serenity of the grounds and feel like you've escaped even though your right in town!

We look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Talaris is a clean, well-equipped, very cost effective property on a beautiful 18-acre campus. This conference center hotel is perfect for a business traveler, unless you are a literal or figurative prince or princess.

I had business in West Seattle, where hotel space is extremely limited. An associate lives near Laurelhurst by the UW campus. I had no need to stay downtown, nor could I find anything that didn’t look immediately questionable for under $300 per night. Talaris had good reviews, and it was under $150 so I booked and decided to car pool with him across the city.

The staff was always very friendly. The room was slightly out of date, but VERY clean. I am picky about gross rooms, missed vacuum spots, questionable bedding, etc. Talaris had none of that. The continental breakfast was appropriate. Realistically, this is a very clean 2-star hotel. I gave them 5-stars because they did it right, all-around, and I intend to stay here next time I visit our office.

The campus reminds me of a high-end summer camp, kind of on a hill with a handful of numbered buildings, each with 6-8 rooms. I did not use the conference center rooms at all, but there does appear to be some large meeting spaces. The buildings surround a few ponds, there are giant trees on site, and a big grassy lawn. One morning I walked 5 minutes and cut through a nature trail to the UW campus, where the new track was open so I took a few laps. In the evening, I walked 20 yards just past the Talaris entrance to a string of restaurants and shops. Talaris negotiated day passes with a gym that is right next door as well. I did not have a car, and did not have any problems getting what I needed due to the location of nearby businesses.

My only hesitation with giving a five-star review is 100% selfish. I don’t want others to know the secret and bomb this place, because I’m coming back and I want to pay the same rates.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest-

Thank you so much for your over-the-top review of Talaris!

We love the "high end summer camp"--I think that's going to be our next Marketing strategy!

Thanks so much for being our guest and being so complimentary to the team here. It is very much appreciated!