“Great for Business terrible for Romance/Relaxing”

Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square
Ranked #42 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Puyallup, Washington
“Great for Business terrible for Romance/Relaxing”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

The courtyard pioneer square was very sterile or modern looking. We were on a "romantic weekend" in seattle, I disliked everything about the hotel style wise. The check-in looks like a airline check in station, and the room.. well that looks like a 26 year old male's studio apartment. The bathroom looked just like a Days Inn bathroom, white, sterile with the exception of a granite slab. Thin and scratchy towels. Really UN ROMANTIC. I can see how this would appeal to a business man traveling and just wanting a room, in some ways, however the sofa in our King room was bizarre, it was some kind of weird fabric I could not identify (shiny polyester burlap) with what looked like oil stains (3 or 4) on the arms and cushions, I turned the cushions over, but still icky. IT was also so deep that me with my 5'4" frame could not sit back - i had a solid 8" between my back and the sofa back, so I couldnt be comfortable at all, they had roll cushions there because they must have known that -but then I had to lean back in a weird way to sit. unpleasant. Since we were relaxing, I indulged in a couple of long hot baths and I have long hair and used most of the shampoo and body wash, the next day after the room had been cleaned I wanted to take another bath before our dinner reservation only to find that the maid didnt replace any of the shampoos etc... I had left them in the tub, and she moved my nearly empty ones back up to the sink area like they were new. I ran out of everything. She also took our coffee cups and never replaced those, The decor was also bizarre. The vase in the room which looked pretty from a distance, when you got close up you see that the vase design is made to look like someone just took a lead pencil and scribbled stuff on it. really really ugly. The bistro was lame. we asked if we could get our breakfast sent to our room.. SImply NO - No room service. . THe booths again are made only for business men. I couldnt sit back and had no back support while eating breakfast. (we sat at a table the next day) , the second day (first day we had to place our order at the counter like a luncheon counter - for some reason they seated us and took our order the next day) the waitress had no idea what I meant when I said I wanted some herbal tea. REALLY?? even after my husband explained it she still couldnt understand.... I had orange juice. We changed rooms on Saturday afternoon when I just wanted to sit and watch TV for a while and couldnt because the sofa was so uncomfortable and STAINED. I forgot 3 items of clothing including a nightgown on the back of the bathroom door, 3 hours later after dinner we were changing to go out to a movie when I realized my clothes were still in the room, We called the desk and they said that my clothes were "LOCKED AWAY" in lost and found or housekeeping or something and we couldnt have them till the morning. ARE YOU KIDDING? my nightgown was there, I only moved down 1 floor!! so I had no nightgown, and luckily had other pants to wear. The next morning we called for my clothes and Shockingly they brought them up just carrying them, didnt even bother to put them in a bag,,, again, I had a really delicate nightgown in the clothes. I was so ticked off I couldnt speak. then just to add insult to injury they then charged me for valet parking (32 per day) when it was included in our package price of $154 per night., even though they confirmed with me 2X that I had the cars sleep free promotion. Yes they took it off when I called down. SO my experience was terrible, luckily seattle is such an awesome city that our day trips and restaurants, and movies were so great I still had fun, but every minute in that room was a STINKER. ALso the noise form Pioneer Square was loud till 2am even on the 11th floor. I was surprised. THis was the most Unromantic and un-inviting room I have ever paid $154 for!! But Yes, the bed was comfortable, thank heavens - and the Valet parking was good. Ill add pictures of the weird pencil scribble vase and uncomfortable couch soon.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nkearns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We had a very nice corner suite with a micro and fridge. We could walk to almost everywhere we wanted to go! This was a beautiful hotel and the bistro and bar were great! The staff was friendly and very helpful. The sofabed had a lot to be desired, but when we complained, they brought us a very comfortable cot. The traffic noise can sometimes be loud, but it eventually quiets down. Our entire stay was close to perfect!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
alaska
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Terrific hotel in a terrific location! Very clean, nice rooms with great service at the front! I only wish every Courtyard was as nice. Took the shuttle from the airport, which is within a block, and everything is so close and within walking distance! Loved this hotel; loved the staff. Everyone was wonderful!!! I will be back!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver Island
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Very comfortable bed, great room, very clean.
Best of all, was the staff. From the valets to all of the desk staff ( we talked to 4 of them) all were very friendly and helpful. They helped us pick our a restaurant, even looked up to menu on line to help us decide. We choose the restaurant "Purple" and it was awesome.

Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We booked last minute to take my sister in law to Seattle. I didn't really research much beforehand and so just assumed this would be near the downtown code of shops and restaurants. Hotel itself is very nice, remodelled to the new style of Courtyard and clean, warm with friendly staff who make an effort to accomodate any requirements you may have (lile finding milk for our son at 10pm - very handy!).

Location not the greatest. Let's just say it's a bit 'rough around the edges'. We were fine, I personally am not intimidated but some people may find the area a little too edgy for their liking. That said, it's not too far to walk to the downtown shopping core (~10 mins) and the friendly staff can help direct you ion the right direction if needs be.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TaysTea
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2011

My favorite courtyard that I've stayed in. The hotel obviously was some sort of department store/office building before because the windows are huge! I booked a standard king and it had a little mini-fridge area and a little living room/sitting area. A lot roomier than most other courtyards. We had a view of Qwest Field from our room and it was beautiful. It's right downtown so it can be a little bit noisy, but that stuff doesn't bother me all that much. We walked down across the street and took the Underground tour which was pretty interesting. We also walked a few blocks to the Pikes Place Market, so it's very convenient to a lot of the city's main attractions.

The hotel has valet parking only, but it wasn't that overpriced and the valets were very nice and friendly. They brewed fresh complimentary coffee in the lobby and there was a little coffee shop (starbucks? can't remember) attached to the lobby as well. I really liked hotel and highly recommend it for business or a romantic getaway.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chaub
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 23, 2010

Paid less than $100/night for a nice, clean, downtown hotel. It's a block from the underground station, and a block from all of the major bus routes. You do not need a car to get around downtown seattle, in fact, good luck parking. Many restaraunts and shops in the area. Pioneer Square is an edgier part of town than the Pike's Market area. Pikes Market and the Main downtown shopping area are in walking distance, but you may prefer to grab a bus or cab up to that area. Straight downhill walk, about 3 blocks to the wharf and Washington ferries to Bainbridge and Bremmerton.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo