“Downtown Beauty”

Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square
Ranked #46 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed August 26, 2012

When I go to Seattle I usually stay around Seattle Center because it is "closer" to the things I am doing. This time, however, I tried the Courtyard Marriott at Pioneer Square. Whoa! I have status with SPG and Club Carlson, and no status with Marriott, but this hotel could sway me. It is new as a hotel/remodeled, but is in an old historic building. Our room had windows which were about ten feet X six feet. The ceilings were maybe 15 feet? I asked if all rooms had the high ceilings and the front desk said yes. Re: windows, she said most.

In terms of location -- great. AGain, I have for years stayed around Seattle Center but in fact it was super easy to walk one block to the bus tunnel (free zone) to the monorail station at Westlake, and get to SEattle Center that way (tram stop from airport also stops right there). The benefit is, this hotel is also close to sports stadiums, Amtrak, and the waterfront (strolling, ferries, aquarium) so really is an ideal location. I didn't do any of those things, but it was really nice having a new venue and seeing that I so easily could. Definitely staying downtown gave me more a feel for the city vs staying around SEattle Center, which is going to be mostly all tourists. I am one, nothing wrong with that -- but nice to pass people walking dogs, etc and imagine life for "real Seattleites" too.

Didn't eat in the restaurant or use pool/exercise room.

Staff was all nice and helpful, from valet to front desk. On edge of Pioneer Square. Felt completely safe traveling with a six year old.

Hotel prices in Seattle seem pretty standard (there aren't necessarily areas with better deals than others); given that, choosing this hotel would be a no brainer in the future.

Room Tip: one with the large windows
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank mackymac23
OwenLeinbach, Manager at Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

What a pleasure to learn of your great experience in both the hotel and neighborhood. Making a new fan of the Pioneer Square Courtyard is our goal, one guest at a time. I look forward to your return!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed Sunday and left the following Saturday. Great location. Could walk to the waterfront, the Public Market, and Westlake Center (to get the monorail to the Space Needle and to Ride the Ducks). It is a historic building nicely renovated. Room was a bit small (king size bed), but a very roomy bathroom. We were on the 13th floor, so not a lot of street noise, except for sirens every once in awhile. There was a Seattle's Best across the street, which is where we had breakfast each morning. Staff was friendly and helpful. View was other buildings.

Room Tip: High floor, less street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
OwenLeinbach, Manager at Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thanks for the very kind review. We are lucky to be in the hart of the cities busseling tourist area and are a great option for “leaving your car behind”. Your comments on our staff’s ability to help make your stay more enjoyable is also most appreciated and I will be sure to share it with them.
Your business is appreciated and I hope we will have the chance to be of service in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in June. Took the light rail from the airport and saved a great deal of money. The station is around the corner.

We enjoyed this Courtyard because of it's convenience and location. We did not eat in the dining area. Not sure about room locations as the hotel is in the heart of downtown. We had a room facing the main street so traffic noise was constant.

The workout room was great and equipment was in working order.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on your recent trip to Seattle and the Pioneer Square Courtyard. We are fortunate to have access to Link Light Rail for travelers who don’t need a car. Our central location to many of Seattle “must see” attractions is one we are proud of and it appears to have been a plus for your travel needs. The night time activity on the street and any lost sleep you experience is regrettable and I do offer my apologies. Please consider joining us again and reach out to me for placement in a non street facing room. Thank you for the business.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

OK let's start with the bad things of my experience in this downtown hotel in Seattle. I 'm giving it a bad review because they gave us the worst room in the hotel. Our room overlooked into an alley, a filthy and scary looking side street in the back of the hotel. Right in front of our windows, no more than 8 yards away, we had the other side of the alley which was a parking building in horrible condition, neither the walls nor the windows of the parking building were painted. So our view was awful. The alley remained in the dark most of the day but at nights it became a scary place to look at so we actually left the curtains closed mots of the time.

So for us it was a GREAT dissappointment to have this kind of room. I'm certain that at least 3 or 4 rooms of each floor have this kind of room. The sad thing is that the room had a standard price, no special reducton applied. So we paid full price for an ugly view. Therefore my bad grading of this hotel.

We complained to no avail.

I'm really dissapointed that being a member of the Marriot Rewards card they give me this kind of room. So I wonder what they'll give to the non-members?

The cleaning team was extremely noisy, all speaking and/or screaming in the foreign languages, so that was very annoying too. We heard a heated argument one day and it was them again so we called reception.

The decoration of some rooms is bad, they put awful ceramic jars or pots, of doubtless origin which don't match the otherwise contemporary look of the hotel. The material of the main couch of the room was a weird kind of plastic or pleather, which made it very unconfortable.

The location, I must say, is great. It is near everything and within a walking distance of a lot of interesting places in the city.

The valet parking team were friendly, not the reception people, they were OK, just OK, not specially willing to help.

Both the lobby, the business center, the fitness center are good, very mjuch in the Marriot Courtyard style.

I hope this is just an exception, I still recommend them as a chain but I cannot recommend this hotel in particular at all.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

First of all, thank you for your business yet clearly we did not meet all of your needs/expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you to discuss your experience and ask for you to reach out to me at your convenience.
Owen.leinbach@Marriott.com

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I am a Marriott Rewards Elite level. I reserved 2 nights at the Courtyard for the start of my son's honeymoon cruise because of all the great reviews about location and service. We were not disappointed as everything lived up to prior billings and more. When I mentioned the honeymoon to the hotel staff and asked if there was anything that could be done to make it special (like a water view), little did I know that they would go above and beyond and provide a top floor suite! Wow! Son and wife were so suprised. They appreciated all the smiles they were provided as well. Everything was great. Thanks so much!

1  Thank Russ B
OwenLeinbach, Manager at Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

First of all, congratulations to your son and his new bride...here's to life time of happiness! Your review is most welcome as is your loyalty to Marriott. Thank you for allowing us to be the host for this very special occasion.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Lovely building, very well-appointed rooms. Well located, with walking access to SAM, the library, Pike Place Market, light rail, and all the character of Pioneer Square, of course. Departing for SeaTac from this destination without a car could not have been easier: 1/2 block walk to the light rail, and off you go.

We had an upper floor with a lake view, which allowed us to watch the ships loading in the port of Seattle, the ferries coming and going, and the ever-changing sky and water. It was a nice touch.

Laundry room in basement was useful, especially since the kids could swim in pool in next room while we did it, but we had to jockey to get a washer and then a dryer. Time your trip downstairs strategically.

We purchased the "Breakfast Included" package, which made mornings a breeze. We didn't have to think or weigh options beyond what looked good. For dinners, hubby and I ate at the cute little Italian place around the corner (great!) and got the kids pizza on the same block.

Room Tip: Middle floors have a bear of a time with the elevator—they're full coming and going. We had some...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank catsav
OwenLeinbach, Manager at Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Many thanks for your compliments to our location, amenities and appointments. Your business is appreciated and we look forward to being of service on your next trip.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our family travels regularly and we frequent Courtyards given the nice setup for meals (if you want to eat at the hotel), lounge/bar option if Mom/Dad want a drink in the evening without straying to far etc. We've always had good luck with Courtyards and for the most part, found our experience to be the same here. Rooms were nice and clean, staff was friendly (especially in the restaurant/bar) and location was great (as other reviewers note) allowing easy access to many of the major tourist attractions on foot. (We did not rent a car.)

Our concern was the noise. Generally, we can tolerate some noise, but the noise level at this hotel was ridiculous. While I hate to rate the hotel as average as it was a little better than that, I can't give it four stars (very good) as we were awakened every morning (typically around 5 or 6) to the sounds of a trash truck emptying dumpsters in the alley behind the hotel. This sound was amplified by the fact that you have this narrow/tall alley, but given we had a full wall of windows on that side of our room it was extremely loud. They even decided to empty the trash at around 1 AM on the Friday night we stayed in this hotel. We were only there for three nights and didn't want to hassle moving to another room (they were booked anyway as I understand it), but if I went back to this hotel I would absolutely demand a room that does not back up to that alley. If a 'non-alley' room is not available, I would NOT stay at this hotel.

Again, beyond the noise issue, great place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid a room that backs up to the alley!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank weathermankc

Thank you for taking time to share your experience while at the Pioneer Square Courtyard. Your compliments on our staff friendliness throughout the hotel and good location for seeing the best of Seattle is most appreciated. The disturbance due to the city street/ally garbage is very regrettable and I apologize for your lost sleep. No excuse can be offered, yet we are unable to dictate collections times, which are ever changing. When you return, please call upon me directly to ensure you have a room of your choice. We want to exceed your expectation and be a 4 or 5 star on your next visit.