“Large and stylish king room”

Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square
Ranked #41 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Really nice hotel. Large stylish bedrooms. Pool very small, kids enjoyed the gym! Friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Orange-Boven

Reviewed January 5, 2012

The staff was friendly and efficient, the hotel is clean and modern, and the rooms are spacious with all the amenities.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Tiki Chris
Reviewed January 4, 2012

This is my second stay in as many years. I gave it 4 stars the first time but decided to bump it up for this review. I've been here over Thanksgiving both times and have enjoyed this hotel thoroughly. It is easily accessible to all local transportation options, which are extensive in seattle, so no car needed! It's a cool urban hotel with the new courtyard design. Surrounded by many local establishments. Easy walk down to the pier and Ferry terminals. The light rail to/from the airport is 2 blocks away. I can't think of anything they did not take care of, from early/late check in, to loaner umbrellas. I can't think of a better value in any of the major cities that I travel to.

Room Tip: High floor facing west or south get's you a view of quest field or the bay.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank azroyalsfan
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Seattle's center may have moved but Pioneer Square is where it all started and Marriott has placed a new hotel square in the heart of the old city. This is a 15-story hotel, so it's not typical of a suburban Marriott Courtyard but it uses the urban model of a high rise, limited amenity hotel.

The location is terrific. It's a block from Pioneer Square and a block from a light-rail stop that takes you to/from Sea-Tac Airport in 37 minutes for $2.75.

The staff is terrific. I cannot recall a more engaged, friendlier staff at any Marriott property I've ever patronized.

The rooms are pretty good. This hotel has been installed in a former office building called the Alaska Building and some of the old building shows through in the lobby where you can see mid-20th century marble and the old-style, multi-story mail chute dropping into a large brass mailbox in the lobby. You'll also see some of the old buildings in the windows, which use the old casings equipped with new double glazing. Our very large room had a terrific view of Seattle's sourthern downtown. Two flys in the ointment for us:

1. The room chair (an adjustable desk chair) was uncomfortable due to its design. This is the first such chair I've encountered at a Marriott Courtyard and I hope it's not the new "official" desk chair.

2. The credit-card room keys just didn't work well and we had a second set made (done cheerfully, of course). We had to try 3, 4, or six times before the door would open. We had similar problems with using the key in the elevator to access our floor from the lobby (a good security feature in any case).

From this hotel, we walked to the ferry terminal for an inexpensive ride to Bainbridge Island (free return!), to the famous Pike Market to see fish tossed around by loud fishmongers, to the Underground Seattle tour (highly recommended), and to the light rail stop for a return to the airport. This area is well served by the Seattle mass transit system.

The hotel has a restaurant and bar called The Bistro and we ate three meals there. Frankly, the food was good twice and mediocre once but the service was always spectacular. Note that this restaurant has a somewhat limited menu (hence the name), but you should be able to find something to dull your hunger. They serve Starbuck's coffee, in case you're an addict. Otherwise, there's a Seattle's Best coffee shop across the street.

There was a ballroom located on our floor (14th) and we snuck in to take a peek. It was set up conference style and could accommodate about 50 people at tables set up in a chevron pattern. I'd certainly locate a conference there given the opportunity.

Room Tip: The higher the better for the view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Steven L
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Despite having an excellent stay in another property the last time we were in Seattle, we decided to stay here this time around. For >$100 per night less, we had a similar sized room (1 BR, 650 Sq, Ft) that was every bit as nice. Granted, the bathroom in this hotel isn't as nice as the other property but the hotel does feel almost (but not quite) as upscale. As another reviewer mentioned, this property seems more like a Renessaince than a Courtyard.

The hotel is located in the Pioneer Square District which could be viewed as a strength (proximity to tours, market, etc) and a weakness (number of homeless in the area). As someone else noted, the windows in the rooms do not seem to be the type that reduce noise and we did have a lot of street noise even though we were on the 12th floor. This doesn't really bother us but if you are the type who needs quiet when you sleep, you should be aware of this issue.

All in all, we thought this hotel was a good, solid choice. When price is considered, we thought it was a bargain for Seattle and we don't regret our decision to stay there in the least.

One other tip: As others have said, do use the Link light rail to get here as the Pioneer Square Station is literally a block away and the cost is less than $3.00 each way.

Room Tip: We thought the price we got on the 1 BR was a great bargain. We did end up having a rollaway bed bro...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank benfbrown
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I was in town for business. The location is only 1 block from the Light Link Rail - Pioneer Square stop, so it was exceedingly easy to get to from the airport. And since I was visiting a company only 2 blocks away, there was no need for me to rent a car.

The hotel was in excellent condition, perhaps recently remodeled? I asked for a high floor, but was told that the rooms up high were smaller, and they recommended a lower floor. I believe I ended up on the 4th floor. The room was great - it reminded me of a modern room I stayed at once in Tokyo. And it was very clean. It was fairly quiet from within the hotel, although I did hear a siren or two outside.

The fitness center was great! It was fairly large, had a number of treadmills, a couple bikes, and a couple ellipticals, along with weights. Everything was in great shape, and it included towels and wipes for the machines. The pool appeared to be a typical hotel pool - nothing you'd attempt to do laps in.

There's a restaurant in the hotel where you can buy breakfast (and lunch & dinner, I believe). The breakfast was delicious and reasonably healthy, but I thought it was expensive. Regarding the downtown, it seemed like most of the restaurants closed early, leaving only the more fancy places open for dinner. I did, however, locate a Thai place about a block away (to the south), and an Indian place about 10 blocks away (to the north), both reasonably priced for dinner.

Room Tip: According to hotel staff, the higher floors have smaller rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank cable_consultant
Reviewed December 23, 2011

In town for a family reunion and saw this beautifully remodeled Courtyard on Marriott's site. Upon arriving, I was not disappointed with our accommodations. The one-bedroom suite was perfect for our small family. The tall windows, high ceilings, and fabulous corner location with a view of the Sound elevated this Courtyard stay to near-luxury levels. All that was missing was the day spa!

I'd argue this renovated property is a notch above other, less modern Courtyard locations, so if you think all Courtyards are alike, goes again. Be sure to view the photos for each property before booking. You just might come across a location like this one.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family