“Had an excellent stay”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #8 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed May 29, 2010

I stayed here for a week with my girlfriend. The hotel is new and the room was spacious with an extremely comfortable bed as well as a safe, coffee machine, large tv with dvd player (can rent films from the front desk) and a microwave. No bath (not sure we would have used one anyway) but a walk-in shower instead.

All the staff here were extremely friendly and helpful. Location wise, it is slightly out of downtown - about a 5 minute walk to the monorail at the space needle or about a 3-4 minute walk to the bus stop to go into downtown. There are also some restaurants on Mercer street that are only about 5 minutes walk away. We did hire a car for a day and parking overnight at the hotel was free.

One or two minor niggles - there was no bar which would have been nice but the hotel does provide coffee and fairy cakes (for free) in the lobby and also has a small shop that sells fruit / pastries / soft drinks etc. Also, there was some noise from the street when we first arrived but when we mentioned it to the front desk they had no problem with moving us to a room at the side of the hotel where we couldn't hear the cars.

Other than that, the hotel also has a swimming pool / gym and free wifi. We would definately stay here again if we come back to Seattle and would not hesitate to recomend it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,818)

Reviewed May 29, 2010

We loved the close location to the Seattle Center and the free parking. Our young children loved the pool, which was perfect for their swimming abilitiy. However, between the hours of 1 am and 3 am we didn't get that much sleep due to the loud voices and pounding of doors. Overall we enjoyed our one night stay. We would most likely return with ear plugs.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Well, first and foremost, it's new. Along with most new things, you tend to "overlook" the details because everything is shiny, new and pretty. The decor is ultra modern and beautiful. The lobby is gorgeous and contains many little nooks and areas to lounge around - be sure to check out the mosaic pineapple on the floor when you walk in.

Back to the rooms. Pros: NEW, very comfy beds, awesome bathroom with walk-in shower (no bathtubs), mini-fridge with microwave, large flat screen TV with DVD player. Cons: LOUD due to the wood laminate floors in rooms, traffic noise if you are at the front of the hotel, poor water pressure (water saving shower heads), small, did I mention loud? All in all they are very nice but you can hear doors shutting, ice machines (if you are lucky enough to be by one), voices in the hall, traffic noise, and people walking above you and beside you.

Overall, the hotel is a good value for the location. You can walk to several restuarants and if you are in town for a concert it is only a couple blocks to Key Arena and city center. Biggest plus: FREE PARKING. This is almost unheard of in Seattle. Beware, however, the spots are tiny and hard to come by. Get there early and leave your car or you won't have a spot when you come back. I would stay here again the next time I'm in town for a concert, but other than that it's not for us.

Reviewed May 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Maxwell for 5 nights during our visit to Seattle. We were very pleased with the location and loved the hotel itself. The decor is warm and modern and the staff was wonderful. I'd found a less expensive rate through a travel site after initially booking our room, the staff was happy to match the lower rate that I had found.

There were great restaurants within walking distance and we expecially enjoyed stopping into the Metropolitan Market just a couple of blocks away for wine and snacks. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed May 27, 2010

Went to Teatro Zinzanni for a wonderful evening. Because my car had been broken into before in this vicinity, we took my handgun into the hotel and locked it in the safe. Aside from the gum lowlifes leave on the floor in the parking garage and walkways, the cleanliness was good. Our room had good location and decor but as mentioned before by other reviewer... the insulation for sound is on par with a prefabricated manufactured home. If you are lonely and spent $163 dollars to be close to other people, this allows you to know when your neighbor is upstairs or next door. Its great at a hotel when you see few other guests but can still hear them. My wife and I were on our anniversary and I hope they could hear us too:0

So aside from lack of sound insulation, I was having general good impression of the place until... I left my HK40 locked in the safe. called and talked with receptionist who refered me to Keith. Keith asked for safe code and told me he would put it in the hotel safe. I suggested that I'd come Sunday for it but he said the manager Linda would not be there and she had sole access (combo) to safe. Keith said Monday was holiday so Tuesday was next workday. He then called and said Linda thought that was too long. I said I would come tomorrow then and call if I could not come tomorrow (Friday).

Now the slick part... I hate it when you talk directly with someone multiple times working out details and then?!?!? .... that person and others do whatever they feel is convenient to him or them and this has lasting inconvenience. Linda told Keith to call the police and officer Monson 4161 was asked to take my gun. This ended up with it being impounded and I got 4 more calls from cops. I can pick up the gun between 8-5pm after a background check which takes 2 days. Tuesday at the earliest.

So then today as I was getting out of my car with my bum R wrist, I was held hostage by a guy with a box cutter who stole my kids candy while I said "I see you brought a knife to a gunfight" and pulled out my empty hand . nah not really. I'll just stay in my house gunless.

So Linda was uncomfortable locking away my gun where she has "sole access". Keith was too secretive to call me before mucking up my whole next 4 days. He thought I was calling to request help but actually helping me.... bah call the cops and confiscate my legally owned and purchased gun for which I have a concealed carry permit. Peter says I can leave a message... for Linda, then that she would call but she did not.

I would suggest recommend this hotel to anyone out of prison or of color. The Maxwell House will make you feel at home if you are accustomed to being treated with, suspicion, distrust and disregard. If you like to have police involved at every step of the way and the hotel responsible make excuses and ignore you.

I should have booked another night tonight then drove back tomorrow to get the gun in the morning. Being honest and asking for help was a mistake. I berate myself for this failure. I mean I left a gun in a safe.... how foolish. I only paid for one night and only $163. If yoy want respectful service.... one has to pay $400 night and go somewhere that requires a membership card!

5  Thank animalchen
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Two cons & four pros. (Con: 1) We checked in 4 times. The first time we were given room keys to a room that either had people still staying in it or it hadn't been cleaned yet (tv was on, pizza box in bathroom, bed a mess). The second set of keys was for floor 2 and we reserved a room with a view. This room overlooked the 3 story cement parking garage. Granted you could see the Space Needle if you really looked up, but it wasn't exactly a "view" room. The third room they gave us keys to, again had people staying in it. We walked in and the room was tidy, but there was luggage, a woman's purse. The final attempt to check in finally worked (mind you it's been about 45 minutes at this point). We were on the 3rd floor which still overlooked the parking garage but you could see a little more sky line. (CON: 2) All the floors are laminate wood flooring so you can hear people walking above and beside you. If you want a quiet place with a REAL view, this may not be the hotel for you. Also, I question the security since we were given access to a room with other people's personal belongings in it.
(PRO: 1) Nicely decorated. Everything is new. (PRO: 2) The people who work here are very friendly. (PRO: 3) Great location to downtown and walking the city. (PRO: 3) Rates include parking.

4  Thank PDX-DUO
Reviewed May 20, 2010

The Maxwell is a new hotel opened in March 2010 . We had a room with a kingsize bed, bed was super comfy. Bathroom is nice with a good sized walk in open shower. The room has no carpet, has a laminate type wood floor and very modern boutiquey type furnishings. Room also had a big flat screen and dvd player, a microwave, mini fridge and coffee maker along with an in room safe.
We were on the street side which has the view of the space needle but you will have a little it of traffic noise on the street side. Hotel is within walking distance of Seattle Center which has the space needle and a nice little park that has the international fountain and the nearby monorail. Monorail takes you to Westlake and Pikes Place market is just a 0.2 mile walk from there so we found the location very good. The staff were very nice and helpful with any questions we had about local restaurants etc... In the afternnon the lobby has free coffee and mini cupcakes and they also have an espresso bar . The hotel also has free parking for residents of the hotel which is a rare luxury in Seattle. We would definitely stay there again.

2  Thank Londonles23