“A Really Cool Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Streamwood, Illinois
“A Really Cool Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I loved this hotel. It was very hip and trendy. Cool art on the walls. Great location - the hotel is located close to the Space Needle. The staff is very friendly. But they don't offer bell service or at least not what I would normally expect as bell service. When we first arrived at the hotel via taxi, we got out of the car and a man in a gray suit with a name tag on it said, "I'll help you with your bags". He took the bags from the taxi driver one at a time and placed them on the curb in front of the hotel. He then left the bags and walked over to the front door and opened it for us. We had to drag our bags into the lobby of the hotel ourselves while he held the door. We later learned that he was a hotel manager. They had luggage carts we could use ourselves but no one employed by the hotel to pull them. It struck me funny in an odd sort of way but it didn't detract from the enjoyment of my stay.

The seating area in the lobby was a decent size and looked like a nice place to hang out. The hotel offered mini cupcakes and coffee in the lobby in the afternoon.

The rooms were very modern and clean. The Tommy Bahama bath products were a nice touch. The coffee in the room was Starbucks. A small bowl of individual coffee creamers is available in the room fridge. They have a small convenience store near the registration desk where you can buy breakfast sandwiches if you're in a hurry in the morning.

The restaurant in the hotel is called The Rock. Their bbq chicken wings cooked in their woodfire oven are worth the trip to Seattle. They also have extensive pizza and beer menus. We stopped here for a late lunch. The restaurant manager was very helpful in providing recommendations on what to do in Seattle as well as providing directions. I highly recommend including this in your gastronomic adventures in Seattle.

They have a free shuttle that drops you off at the waterfront near Pikes Place Market.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LotusExplorerTravel
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thanks LotusExplorer! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't bring your bags up to your room for you. We can always provide that service upon request and are all happy to help. The Rock does make some mean chicken wings and I'm glad that you enjoyed them.
Please come back and see us soon!
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Capitola, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed two nights at The Maxwell in July (2013). The hotel is located in a great neighborhood with great restaurants close by. Hotel close to the Space Needle and walking distance to the waterfront. The hotel is clean, modern with large rooms, large bathroom (no tub, but large shower) and amenities including coffee makers, small fridge and microwave. Lobby is open and inviting. Have stayed at the waterfront many times and definitely prefer this location and the surrounding vibe. I would recommend this hotel as a central point to any location in Seattle. the hotel has a free shuttle to downtown and again walking distance to waterfront and Olympic Sculpture Park. Lobby has small cafe for takeout breakfast. Great hotel for a good value, we will be coming back to the Maxwell in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank grace o
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here at the Maxwell Hotel. I'm glad that you were able to use the free shuttle and enjoyed the Pineapple Espresso cafe. Please come back and take advantage of the free parking, free water in the rooms, and the cupcakes and coffee in the lobby every evening from 3pm to 7pm.
See you soon!
Warm regards,
IAH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Hotel is located in a nice location. Close to Space needle, Kerry park, restaurants and not very far from the downtown. It was also very quiet.
They have free shuttle service to downtown and also have free bicycle rental. Limited free parking is a great perk esp. almost all hotels charge for parking in the area.
I agree with most of the reviews. This is a nice, clean and comfortable hotel. Our room was spotless, super clean, comfortable beds, and nicely appointed. Bathroom was spacious and it had a standing bathroom not tub but that's fine. I just can't find anything wrong with the hotel or the room. From coffee maker to toiletries everything felt upscale.
Staffs at the front desk were friendly. They have a small cafe for quick breakfast.
Only tip I can give is check in early to get a parking spot and don't drive back very late in the night, you may not get a parking spot. They do have plenty of parking spots underground but enough for the entire hotel and also most spots are tiny barely fits a compact car so you would see lot of people double parked. If you try drive a large car (anything larger than newer Corolla) you might have hard time parking in these tight spots.
For the location, it's a great value.
I would recommend this to anyone and would stay here again if I come back to the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
It sounds like you had a wonderful trip enjoying the hotel and exploring the area. I'm glad that you found Kerry Park. The views can't be beat. The parking certainly can be a bit tight so we keep the price down (complimentary) and there is also plenty of street parking after 8pm. We hope to see you back with us soon!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed one night in Seattle recently and enjoyed The Maxwell. East to reach and a pretty quiet location for downtown. Rooms were nicely outfitted and provided coffee makers, large shower, and plenty of space. Lobby is open and large with plenty of seating. There is also some outdoor seating along the street that is nice if weather is cooperating. Complimentary cookies, lemonade, and coffee in the afternoon is a nice touch as well. Overall, I found the hotel to be well run, helpful, and a good value.

Room Tip: I would request a room that is off of the main street, facing the rear of the property or at minimum...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you Russell P! I'm glad that you enjoyed our spacious hotel rooms and our other terrific amenities such as the complimentary coffee and cupcakes in the afternoon. Please come back and see us soon.
Warm regards,
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Maxwell for three nights, June 14-17, 2013. We are in our late-40s and we did not bring children.

(Our stay was a tailgater, so-to-speak, before our flight back home to Phoenix from a 12 day trip to Maui that we take each summer.)

Overview: The Maxwell is an upscale boutique hotel located in downtown Seattle, approximately 30 minutes from Sea-Tac airport. It should be noted that while renting a car is not a necessity for a downtown stay (and, in fact, could be somewhat of a hassle) the hotel, like most other downtown hotels, does *not* provide airport transportation. (We used a town car service to-and-from the airport -- $55 is the regulated rate.)

Price/Value: We paid an average of $209/night. We found this rate to be in-line with, or perhaps a smidgen lower than, that of other boutique downtown hotels. Surprisingly, and with much appreciation, we were given a complimentary upgrade to a Queen View from a Queen Hill for our 10th anniversary. The room had an amazing, dead-on view of the Space Needle.

Accommodations: The Maxwell is an impeccably clean and well-maintained hotel (completely spotless, really), with very new, modern, and stylish furnishings. We like more traditional furnishings (Westin, Four Seasons, JW, etc.) but The Maxwell got the decor just right -- very chic, but not *weird* and non-functional chic. Space in our room was ample, with a desk, a somewhat small tv, love seat/couch, table, and a mini-fridge. The bathroom was shower-only and single-sink, but, again, all modern and new. The Maxwell has ingeniously installed shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel dispensers in the shower (and a liquid soap dispenser by the sink) instead of providing those dinky and tacky little 1/2 ounce plastic containers of toiletries -- again, stylish, with Tommy Bahama-brand toiletries. Oh, and you get a complimentary umbrella for your stay.

Service: The staff seemed uniformly polite, especially the front desk girls, who really were the only staff we encountered as we did not use the pool or order room service. The Maxwell provides a limited area shuttle to certain attractions, which we made use of twice. The second time wasn't so good as the driver missed us at the pick-up location -- we ended up waiting an hour to be picked up.

Restaurants: Because we spent time sightseeing in the city, the only meal we had at the hotel was a late dinner one evening at the only restaurant in the hotel, The Rock Wood-Fired Pizzas. It's mostly a hipster rock-n-roll nightclub/bar, but has a fairly large menu. The Rock provides the room service as well, since the hotel itself has no true restaurant itself, but is not open for breakfast. This was an issue for us as we like to get up early and enjoy a big, traditional breakfast before venturing out to do tourist stuff. There are actually two lobby coffee shops, but these were mostly coffee-only, no real meals. So we had to hoof it to local eateries -- the best breakfast was at a hole-in-the wall called the Mecca Cafe, located 5 blocks away on Queen Anne Blvd. Total dive bar (would hate to see the 2:00am crowd) but an 8:00am breakfast was incredibly good and quite reasonably priced.

Clientele: The overwhelming number of guests that we saw at The Maxwell were couples, most of them youthful 40-somethings and 50-somethings like ourselves, along with some business-types. (Indeed, for one of the days of our stay there appeared to be a small convention of some sort.) The Maxwell customer base seems to be couples looking for romance and business persons wanting a central location, and not really aimed at families I think.

Area attractions: restaurants, nightlife, and culture in the downtown area are so extensive that it would take 50 weekends to experience all of it. Seattle very much reminds me of a mini-Manhattan -- much of it is walkable, if you're up for it, with eclectic restaurants and clubs tucked away in nooks & corners of the city. While it is, admittedly, touristy in places (such as the Pike Street Market), Seattle is also incredibly diverse with enough experiences to satisfy any taste. The Maxwell is somewhat to the east of the piers, Pike Place, and Safeco, so a taxi or the hotel shuttle would be needed to get down to attractions located there.

The hotel is located right next to the Seattle Center, with the Space Needle, International Fountain & Park, and monorail station.

I would also note that, although not the hotel's fault of course, regrettably the city has a definite seediness to it, with staggering bums, mumbling crackheads, castoff youth, and other elements of the social substrata lurking about the streets, both in the day and night. My wife was quite uncomfortable one early evening as we walked back to the hotel.

Summary: We plan to make a tailgate stay in Seattle at The Maxwell a normal side trip each year coming back from Maui. It really was that good.

Hope this helps! Feel free to email with questions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Profnickd
Thank you for your expansive review and your wonderful feedback. We would be happy to welcome you every year after a great trip to Maui. Next time bring me! ;) Let me know if we can make your next stay more comfortable.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was just perfect! It is within walking distance to several local attractions, including the Space Needle. It is everything you would want in a hotel. From the contemporary eclectic decor to the spacious and very nice rooms and on to the helpful and friendly hotel staff. I would not change a thing.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Hello SusanneCooper! Thank you for the wonderful review and the kind words. We strive for perfection and I'm happy that we are close to the mark. We promise not to change a thing!
Bremerton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was the first time I have stayed here and I will definitely stay again when I have a chance. I chose this hotel to stay the night, to celebrate my daughters 16th birthday. It was comfortable but also very trendy, lots of parking, the front desk was very friendly and helpful. There is so much close by in walking distance ,QFC grocery, lots of restaurants ,the Seattle center, if you can't walk to it there is the mono rail to Westlake mall, they also offer a shuttle at the hotel or you can rent bicycles from the front desk. There is a small cafe in the lobby for coffee or foods, but we ate at The Citizen cafe for breakfast, it's just down the street and that is now a new favorite place, great food.
The room was very nice, comfy beds, the small couch was also a fold out, Keurig coffee, flat screen and DVD, free Internet and they have Tommy Bahamas soaps in pumps on the shower wall. Don't forget the free coffee and Pineapple Express cupcakes in the lobby.

Room Tip: I called the hotel directly to request a room with a view of the Space Needle the street side of the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
What a terrific review! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review and to give praise to the hotel, staff, and the neighboring restaurants and attractions. We will have more cupcakes and coffee for you next time around. Please come back soon.