New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great hotel...too bad it's full of drunk morons on the weekend.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Maxwell Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

The Maxwell Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
Ranked #12 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Great hotel...too bad it's full of drunk morons on the weekend.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to take a trip to Seattle for our anniversary and chose the Maxwell Hotel based on positive reviews. We found it charming, clean, and inviting, but there were a few issues. We spilled leftover food onto the bed, so we left the card out saying we wanted the linens changed, but they weren't. Luckily, we had a room with two queens so we could just hop over to the other one. Also, the conditioner dispenser in our room was leaky, so by the time we woke up to shower, all of it was on the shower floor, and there wasn't any left. Lastly, and worst of all there was an incredibly loud, trashy, obviously drunk wedding party(or something along those lines) that ran around our floor until well after bar time both Friday and Saturday. I called the front desk to complain, and they said they'd be up to take care of it, but the obscene yelling, and noise persisted intermittently until well after 2:00am. Perhaps because they were a large group their comfort superseded my own, but I know others must've complained because of excessive shhhs and at least one crying baby coming from nearby rooms.

Overall, the hotel was a lovely place, but if the typical clientele is as sloppy and rude as our fellow floor mates from this trip, then I don't see us staying here for our next trip to Seattle.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Slock90
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
We are certainly happy that you enjoyed our charming and inviting hotel! We very much appreciate the feedback as we can improve on our services. I can assure you that our normal guests are not rude and unruly like the past weekend. We had a wedding party in house and we had trouble confining the noise. We are taking steps to ensure that our peace loving guests enjoy the environment of a family-friendly and quiet hotel.

I hope that you come back and see us soon. You will see that it was just an exception to the amazing environment that we are trying to have here at the Maxwell.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Here's the review I just sent to them - I LOVED the hotel! If in Seattle proper, choose this. If Seattle airport...well, there's one close to that which is awesome, so have to differentiate the two. We ADORED the Maxwell!

I selected this hotel based on rate (and free parking!), location, and reviews. And all three were fantastic, the latter of which, well-deserved and true! Although we arrived early, the friendly, efficient, and helpful staff checked us in without delay or problem. The complimentary shuttle was easy to book and incredibly helpful. The room was fantastic, roomy, and awesomely decorated in retro-chic. The room was sparkling clean, beds comfortable, and very quiet. Anytime we had a question, the staff was incredibly helpful, super-friendly, and very knowledgeable. From the shuttle driver to front staff, housekeeping to barista – all were fantastic! And location, location, location! A short walk to the Space Needle, a short (FREE!) shuttle ride to almost any downtown location, walking distance to fantastic Queen Anne area restaurants, parks, and pubs – couldn’t have been better! And since they have free parking – the rate is even better! When we had to travel to another part of WA for our trip – we missed this hotel and the staff! I could not say better things about it, and highly recommend it. As someone who tries to find the best value in location, quality, and overall price, I have stayed in a variety of hotels (from Motel 6 to Four Seasons), and the Maxwell is at the top of my list. We even took pictures of it from the Space Needle :) My best friend and I were in Seattle to celebrate my 40th birthday (and my friend’s 39+?? Birthday) thank you to your staff for adding to the fun, housekeeping for an exceptionally clean room, the shuttle driver for laughing at our lame jokes, the barista for being nice & super-quick, especially when we needed that espresso ASAP, and the decorators for making the hotel beautiful and chic! We loved it so much that I have already recommended it to two other friends who have already booked their stays! And if I’m lucky enough to visit Seattle again – this is the only hotel I want to stay at!

Room Tip: Not a tip for room - but for nearby food & happy hour: NY Pizza (happy hour 2x/day, great pizza...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and sharing with everyone the wonderful time you had at the Maxwell Hotel. We aim to please and I'm glad that you enjoyed the complimentary shuttle and driver along with it.

Come back and see us soon!

Gig Harbor Wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

My daughter and I stayed in the Diva’s Dressing Room suite for three nights March 21, 22 and 24.

We purchased a Seattle City Pass for $74; this gets you into the EMP, Pacific Science Center, a ride to the top of the Space Needle, the Aquarium, an Argosy harbor tour and either the Museum of Flight or Woodland Park zoo. The pass is a 43 % discount off of admission to all these places and can be bought at any of these attractions. We skipped the harbor tour as we’re boaters and the ride to the top of the space needle because I’m terrified of heights.

The Maxwell was an excellent base for us.
We walked over to the Seattle Center and took the Monorail one day, did the Market and Aquarium then walked back through Bell Town to the Maxwell.

We ate at the Rock which is attached to the hotel and just across the street at McMenamins,
I highly recommend both places.

I don’t know what more I could say about the Maxwell that all of the great reviews here haven’t already covered. It’s a great hotel; the staff was amazing and the room as well.
I loved the fact that all of the soap and lotions were in dispensers not little bottles.
The parking was free and in a secure underground garage, free parking in a big city is worth its weight in gold.

My only complaint and I’m stretching here….is that this room is the only room with a balcony and there are no chairs to sit on out there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pyrrat
What a fantastic review! Thank you for taking the time to leave it for us and for sharing all the amazing sights that you and your daughter enjoyed. We hope to see you back with us soon.

Very best,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels I ever stayed in. Keurig coffee makers in the rooms, mini fridge and microwave. They even provided free popcorn. I loved how the rooms were hardwood floor and the shower was really neat. Quick walk to the space needle but a long walk to Pike's Place. Upon checking out we noticed they provided bikes for their guests (wish we knew about that option). Overall fabulous stay and I would recommend to every one.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thank you for letting us know how your stay went! We know Pike's Place is a bit of a hike but we also have a complimentary shuttle that can take you there as well as the complimentary bikes.

Come back soon and I'll drive you down there in the shuttle myself!

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I would rate the Maxwell as a high value stay for the price. For $150/night, it's tough to beat. They have a complimentary shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 15 min radius of the hotel. Very convenient and a $$ saver. Within blocks is the Seattle Center, Queen Anne neighborhood and space needle. Its a 2 mile hike or ride to the water front or pikes place market. Complimentary bicycles are available too upon reservation. Not a high frills hotel though. No conceirge or room service. The staff and front desk are very helpful though. Free Wifi. I would go back!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Woody B, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for the review and we are glad that you enjoyed the complimentary shuttle and the friendly staff. Come back soon!
All my best, Woody Braden
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is my (new) favorite of all the Seattle hotels I've stayed in, so far.

The location is excellent - it's a couple blocks from the Space Needle, EMP, tram, etc. If you get a room on a side of the building other than the side we were stuck with, you might get an awesome view! Our view was mostly of residential homes in Queene Anne, but that's ok too.

There is free covered parking and plentiful handicapped spots. Major kudos for that.

They have a small indoor pool downstairs (no spa) that was kept quite clean.

I know they also lend out bicycles for free, which is a neat idea.

There's no continental breakfast served here, but they do have a small "cafe" (booth) downstairs that will sell you similar items.

There are free mini pineapple (the fruit seems to pop up in much of their branding) cupcakes served in the lobby every afternoon. Yum!

The decor is extremely updated and much higher-end than the price might suggest. The bed was probably my favorite part; the matress is extremely comfortable and the bedding was very nice. The flat screen tv included a dvd player (there are free dvd's to rent downstairs) and more cable channels than you expect to see at a hotel. The only thing I didn't like in our room was the water pressure in the shower. It was kind of ridiculous, really. Yes, the shower itself is gorgeous and the whole suite is for that matter -- but a girl needs to rinse her hair.

Overall, this is a lovely hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
wbraden, Manager at The Maxwell Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write such an amazing review! We truly appreciate the feedback and are glad you enjoyed all that the Maxwell Hotel has to offer. Please come back and see us soon.
Lagos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Maxwell Hotel is situated within walking distance to many places of interest. Primarily I had work at the Gate Foundation which is on 5th street and only a 5 minute walk but you will not lack local attractions to go to around this hotel.
I stayed in the Pineapple wing, the beds were comfortable so much so that I missed my night flight and had to stay an extra night. The rooms are clean, comfortable and the layout well thought out. The work area with the leather swivel chair was very much appreciated and general style and uniqueness decor of the room were impressive.
The hotel had a relaxed feel to it with the "The Rock" cafe just downstairs on the side - if you are a pizza fan please try it. I never knew pizza could taste so good!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We truly appreciate you staying with us at our comfortable and relaxed hotel. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is a wonderful client and partner and we welcome their guests with open arms.
Please come back soon!