“great hotel”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #8 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My wife and I were in town for the U2 concert. I had read great things about this hotel and was pleased to find they were all true. The room was great. It was clean, modern and very spacious. Parking was free,a great bonus in this town. There was a pool, looked clean but I did not have a chance to use it, The work out room was tiny. I preferred to go out for a run rather than use it.The only negative thing to report is one day, despite the "Do not disturb" sign on the door, housekeeping opened the door and woke us up very early.The staff working the desk were very helpful and courteous. When checking out we mentioned this incident. They were very apologetic and deducted $50.00 off our stay.My wife says the only thing she would have liked to have seen is a restaraunt or lounge in the hotel.
The location was good, it was within walking distance of grocery, stores, restaraunts and small shops. Just don't eat at the Mcminmins on the corner. Great for a few beers, but lousy food.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,818)

Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed with my two daughters, 10 and 8 as part of a precruise package.I did choose it due to the price and the reviews on line. We arrived in the rain on an early flight and were hoping like some of the reviews that we would be able to check in early. No such luck. The staff appeared somewhat clueless and confused. However, I did notice they were much nicer to older couples with out children. Maybe that was my clue that the place was just too hip for children. However, I've stayed at two placed owned by Joie De Vive in California and they are what I would call hip. Not this place. And they were nice to my children.
From a a first time in Seattle person I felt I had arrived in nowhere land although that could have been the rain. The staff sent us down to a breakfast place that seemed to be the only place in the area open. It was quite good. When we got back I saw the staff checking in people and I went up and asked to be checked in as well. I was told I had a room with a view that was not ready and the other people didn't. At that point the kids and I went exploring and found we really weren't so far from many attractions including the Space Needle. we went on a Duck Tour which was really fun and then got something to eat at a food court that was lively and had music. We got back at 3:00 -check in time. And guess what no room. At 4:00 we checked in. The room was very nice and quite large. Guess what our view was of - the parking garage. I had to laugh by that time and was just glad to be in a room. We enjoyed the in door pool and were the only people in it. I could have gone for a spa - but it was nice anyway. The next day I went down to get the breakfast sandwiches and drinks included in the package. The staff appeared confused about how to handle it but did give me the food and were nice. The transportation to the airport was on time and efficient.. We later came back and stayed at the Inn At the Market. The two experiences were like night and day - but the Inn at the Market is also much more expensive. I don't think I would ever stay here again even though the rooms are nice.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Trip advisor reviews never seem to let me down and this hotel was yet another gem I found on this website. The Maxwell Hotel was clean, spacious, reasonably priced and had friendly front desk staff. The hotel had really funky decor which was colourful and fun! The rooms were not your standard hotel room. They had lots of character. Colourful paintings can be found all over the hotel. The lobby is particularly inviting. The pool area and gym looked clean and well-appointed, but we didn't have time to try it out. We will definitely try to use them next time we stay here. The location was an easy 25 min walk to the main shopping district and market area and was very close to the Space Needle and the EMP. There is a huge but quaint grocery market quite close by where you can get just about anything you need for snacks and drinks. The rooms have microwaves and small refrigerators which are really handy. They even had a package of complimentary microwave popcorn for a late night snack...nice touch. The hotel offers free wireless which our teens fired up with no problems after our busy days on the town. We had no issues with parking as some have stated in their reviews and we were there on a holiday weekend. The car slots are tight, but there were plenty of them to choose from when we stayed. The parking garage is secure and safe. Overall, a great find and we definitely will be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I stayed here for three nights with my husband and my in-laws (separate rooms). The rooms were big and comfortable with a mini fridge, a microwave, and a coffee maker. There was even microwave popcorn in the room. The staff was always friendly and helpful. We arrived at the hotel much too early for check in and the hotel staff worked very hard to get us into rooms. Then on our second day my mother-in-law messed up her room safe and couldn't open it. One call to the front desk and it was fixed very quickly. We never had a problem parking in their garage, which is free. Also the Maxwell is in a good location, close the Space Needle. The only thing I would have like was a stronger wi-fi signal, but being that was free also, I can let it go. If I am ever back in Seattle, I will stay at the Maxwell.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

The Maxwell is on the border between tourist area and Queen Anne neighborhood. So from the hotel you are a walk from museums, the waterfront, and tourist sites and a beautiful hilly neighborhood with charming houses and great views and neighborhood restaurants. We went to the Seattle Art Museum and waterfront one day, but then ate at neighborhood spots. We also went for walks just up the hill and around Queen Anne just looking at the houses and stopping to look at the views of Mt. Rainer on one side, and the mountain range on the other side. The hotel made a major mistake in our booking - we had signed up for a package that included a 2 hour cruise of the lake, and when we got there they had not purchased the cruise tickets and could not get us onto another. BUT, the way they handled it was inpeccable and left us feeling initially disappointed, of course, but no lasting pain. The manager came up to the room immediately in person, with a bottle of champagne, to personnaly appologize and offered to comp one night of hotel plus arrange for a lovely brunch (on them) on the waterfront the next day. I think the in-person apology and quick response and rearrangement plus the comped night were as good a response as one could hope for, and we appreciated them. Anyone can make a mistake, and they dealt with it very well. If you were booking a package, I would confirm and reconfirm. The Maxwell has hardwood floors which initially sounded good, but actually is a little hard on the feet after a day of walking on pavement. Beds VERY comfortable, nice bathroom with excellent lighting, quiet despite busy neighborhood, free parking. Front desk staff other than the manager were clueless - asked for several tips about the neighborhood and none of them knew anything about the neighborhood. Japanese restaurant? Had to look it up but there was a great one just down the street whcih we found. Desert at night? No clue but there was a coffee and pastry shop right down the street which we found. What restaurants and stores were at the top of the hill? No clue but we walked up and found great stuff. So don't count on the front desk people. If Melonie the Manager is there, she's the only one who knows what's what. Swimming pool and fitness room were small but perfectly adequate, and all machines worked.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

We only booked one night for flying out the next day. The parking garage was full, but we had no problem parking in the check-in spot. The little tea cakes at the lobby were good while we waited to check-in. The room was large. The bathroom is large also, but does not have a tub. The hotel is walking distance to the Space Needle where the Folks festival took place when we were there. We got to enjoy Seattle in the short amount of time we had thanks to the convenient location of the hotel.

1  Thank JohnnysWife
Reviewed July 2, 2011

By all means this is a great place to stay in Seattle. Very beautiful and well maintained property. Rooms are spacious and very clean. within walking distance to the space needle.Staff is very courteous. Love my stay here with my family.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family