“Faultless!”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #8 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed May 29, 2011

My husband stayed here for 3 nights before going on an Alaskan Cruise and I cannot fault anything about the hotel. As we were celebrating our 50th birthdays and 20th wedding anniversary whilst at the hotel, we were upgraded to a suite. Great amenities, really clean and free pineapple cupcakes in the afternoon! Staff were very friendly and efficient. Yes, its a bit further from the city centre than a lot of the hotels, but everything about it, more than makes up for it. Highly recommended

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tricia063

Reviewed May 29, 2011

New hotel (one year). Interesting decor... funky but cool... modern. Impeccably clean. Blocks from attractions like Space Needed, Experience Music Project, Duck Tours. Free locked/secure parking.

No restaurant or breakfast in hotel, but blocks from some that are great... Peso's food was wonderful. Coffee, water , refrig and microwave in room. Coffee bar with very lite fare in lobby.

Recommend for couples, families>

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of the space needle..
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeanspo
Reviewed May 26, 2011

After all the reviews I read, I decided to book The Maxwell. It was an excellent decision. We parked in their garage with no problem. Check in was easy and after getting in to our trendy room, we walked from hotel to Space Needle and Monorail with no problem. When we returned in the afternoon, they had coffee and cupcakes set out which was a nice treat. It was very reasonably priced also. I had written a comment when I reserved the room and asked for a view of the space needle. When I got into the room and opened the curtains, there was the space needle right across from us. I highly recommend staying here if you visit Seattle.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erin29
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Excellent quiet location, friendly staff and comfortable rooms. We chose this hotel for a family Victoria Day long weekend get away. The hotel was offering a buy 2-nights get 1-night free so we decided to try it after reading the reviews on TA. The hotel is located within walking distance from the Space Needle. We arrived in Seattle by the Victoria Clipper ferry and used the Town Car service to get to the hotel (cost us $20). Taxis are also available at the ferry terminal but we opted for Town Car because of the size of our party. You get a variety of restaurants and coffee shops near the hotel (Thai, Vietnamese, Greek, Italian, etc.). There's even a small supermarket closeby. Make sure to try Toulouse on Queen Anne Street for breakfast (loved their Creole dishes) or dinner at Gloria's Greek Deli (as featured on DDD). Great food and atmosphere.

We found the front desk very friendly and helpful, especially Melanie. Overall, the service was excellent. The pool was small but just perfect for our little ones. They loved the complementary "kids cart" that came with games, legos and other goodies. Request the cart when you check in and they will bring it up to your room, if it's available. The hotel also has a small fitness room with treadmills and exercise equipments. The lobby is huge with a warm fireplace and lots of sitting areas. Parking is free, but not enough stalls for larger vehicles. We had a mini van, and only on one occasion, we couldn't find a stall that wasn't a tight fit.

Our Prima Donna room was spacious (2 kings and a sofa bed), modern through out and very clean. Large flat screen TV with lots of channels, Keurig coffee machine with complementary coffee, free water bottles everyday and popcorn for the microwave all made our stay very enjoyable. The bed is very comfortable if you prefer soft mattress and fluffy pillows. The large bathroom came with a jetted tub and rainfall shower. Only complaint is that there's no fan so it can get little steamy if you like long hot showers.

We enjoyed walking around the Space Needle park area and the big water fountain. Our 4 year old joined in the fun with the other kids running through the water sprays and getting all wet. We also spent a day at the Woodland Park Zoo which had a special dinosaur exhibit at the time. The animals were amazing to watch; there's even a petting zoo for the kids. We saw everything from penguins to snow leopards. A must visit if you have small children who love animals.

For shopping, we went to the Premium Outlet (45 minutes by car) and downtown Seattle department stores (5 minutes from where we are). Stocked up on sports clothing at the new Under Armour store from the Outlet. If you need a car for the day, you can conveniently rent one from the downtown Hilton Hotel (Alamo/National). Lots of stores but not enough time.

All in all, I would say the Maxwell is a small-to-medium family oriented hotel with all the amenities of the high end downtown hotels, but without the extra costs. Our family would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Check hotel website for deals.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank FamilyGuyBC
Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed two nights at Maxwell at a great rate from their website. The service is great. We arrived early, at 11 am, and not only did they have a room but a free upgrade to a Space Needle view. The staff also gave good advice for restaurants and arranged someone to drop us off at the train station for free.

The room was very good and we had no problem with noise as mentioned in other reviews, but the hotel was not that busy. We walked everywhere and found the location to be ideal in a mixed residential / commercial neighborhood with lots of record stores and good food. It is about 1.5 miles to Pike Place Market but an easy walk we did 3 times.

Overall the hotel presents a terrific value with great service over the upscale chains downtown. I highly recommend for leisure travelers in the area.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I stayed one night at the Maxwell for a work trip and would definitely come back for both work and personal travel. When other hotels nickel and dime you for all kinds of charges -- like internet service and bottled water in the room -- it's refreshing to have a hotel like the Maxwell reach a higher level of customer service by providing these amenities and features for free. I loved the hardwood floors in the rooms -- a very nice change from the usual musty hotel carpet. The rooms include many features that make your stay more comfortable -- a fridge, a microwave, a DVD player, multiple electrical outlets on each wall, and coffee maker. Pineapple cupcakes and complimentary coffee are available in the lobby throughout the day. Most of all, the rates were cheaper (more than $100 less per night) than comparable Kimpton and other smaller-scale hotels. I will definitely return to the Maxwell for my next visit to Seattle.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mcvu
Reviewed May 18, 2011

This hotel is beautiful and the rooms are spacious and up to date! I loved the contemporary feel of this hotel. However, there are a few things that I would like to point out. Quirk #1, Upon arriving and checking in I was greeted by a rude woman at the front desk. She was short and snappy with any questions that I had. I asked her where the stairs were to get to the 2nd floor, she told me, obnoxiously, there weren't any and that I'd have to take the elevator and she looked at the man standing next to her and rolled her eyes. I thought that was a joke, I mean what hotel doesn't have stairs? Also, telling me "good luck in finding a parking space" However, upon checking out 2 days later, the gentlemen at the front desk were more than helpful with any questions I had and even with helping me locate a cart for my luggage. The maid service was also very friendly in asking how I was and if I needed anything. Quirk #2, The curtains on the 2nd floor are see thru, which meant that the people outside could see in, I even had a complete stranger start waving at me from the street and there was no way to close them. Not comfortable at all knowing that anyone could see in. Quirk #3, You can hear very clearly thru the walls and since there are nice hardwood floors, you can also hear the people above you walking around and babies crying next door. Parking wasn't really an issue, it was secured and right under the hotel so I didn't have to walk our into the rain or pay for parking. The wireless internet kept going in and out and was hard to get access to. The bathroom was amazing. It's size was perfect and it had plenty of space and counter space, the open shower was a nice touch as well. The room decor was a perfect flow with the contemporary hotel feel. The bed was soft and new, and so were the pillows. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again and I would recommend it to friends. I would just forewarn them about the things mentioned above first.

Room Tip: spacious rooms, contemporary, elevator only.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends