“Fun but needs a few quirks worked out.”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #7 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fun but needs a few quirks worked out.”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

This hotel is beautiful and the rooms are spacious and up to date! I loved the contemporary feel of this hotel. However, there are a few things that I would like to point out. Quirk #1, Upon arriving and checking in I was greeted by a rude woman at the front desk. She was short and snappy with any questions that I had. I asked her where the stairs were to get to the 2nd floor, she told me, obnoxiously, there weren't any and that I'd have to take the elevator and she looked at the man standing next to her and rolled her eyes. I thought that was a joke, I mean what hotel doesn't have stairs? Also, telling me "good luck in finding a parking space" However, upon checking out 2 days later, the gentlemen at the front desk were more than helpful with any questions I had and even with helping me locate a cart for my luggage. The maid service was also very friendly in asking how I was and if I needed anything. Quirk #2, The curtains on the 2nd floor are see thru, which meant that the people outside could see in, I even had a complete stranger start waving at me from the street and there was no way to close them. Not comfortable at all knowing that anyone could see in. Quirk #3, You can hear very clearly thru the walls and since there are nice hardwood floors, you can also hear the people above you walking around and babies crying next door. Parking wasn't really an issue, it was secured and right under the hotel so I didn't have to walk our into the rain or pay for parking. The wireless internet kept going in and out and was hard to get access to. The bathroom was amazing. It's size was perfect and it had plenty of space and counter space, the open shower was a nice touch as well. The room decor was a perfect flow with the contemporary hotel feel. The bed was soft and new, and so were the pillows. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again and I would recommend it to friends. I would just forewarn them about the things mentioned above first.

Room Tip: spacious rooms, contemporary, elevator only.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gagirltravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Avon, Connecticut
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We transferred from the Grand Hyatt in Seattle to this gem of a hotel. It's near the Space Needle and Sound Experience and interesting theaters in a hip part of town called Lower Queen Anne. Beautiful, hip decor with all the amenities including coffee and mini-cupcakes during the mid-day. Parking was FREE (instead of $40 a day) and so was Wi-Fi. Beds were very comfortable and the furniture terrific. Small refrig and microwave in room, a well as a Keurig coffee machine. Walking distance to great restaurants and bars and the staff very helpful. The price was 1/2 that of the Grand Hyatt and much more comfortable. Bravo!!!! Hope the rates don't increase after all the great reviews. Would go again!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler5055
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I picked this hotel based on its location and all the glowing Trip Advisor reviews. It did not disappoint. I emailed ahead and asked for a room with a view of the Space Needle and they came through even though the place was pretty full of folks there for a film festival. When we checked in, the gal at the front desk told us what was going on and said not to hesitate to let them know if it got noisy but we never head much even though we were close to the elevator. The location can't be beat. We really appreciated the coffee (and tea) machine and fridge in the room, as well as the free WiFi. Overall, a very hip but classy hotel.

• Stayed April 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed May 8, 2011

I was surprised to find this hotel, tucked away across the street from the new "Teatro Zinzanni" venue next to the Key Arena. It's on the other side of downtown from the Space Needle and the Pacific Science Center. This acts as an effective buffer between the hustle and bustle traffic noise so prevalent in SEA.
Locals know this area as "Lower Queen Anne" and it's an iconic SEA neighborhood. It's got its own hoity-toity supermarket (Metropolitan Market), some great coffee shops (Cafe Zingaro) and incredible restaurants like Toulouse Petit (ate their twice!).
The Maxwell has no restaurant, so you're free to roam the area to forage for food. I ate lunch at the Metro Mkt (salad bar). We even hiked up to the top of Queen Anne Hill (huffing, puffing) to the 5-Spot for breakfast.
The hotel is essentially brand new--lots of modern touches. EXCELLENT hi-speed wireless internet. Great dark-wood floors. Comfy beds. Modern finishes in the bathrooms. I'm not a TV watcher--but they're big. There's the one-cup Keurig (sp?) coffee makers in the rooms. Very nice. Special touch: they put the 1/2+1/2 in the fridge. NICE TOUCH.
Beds were comfy, towels were fluffy...there's a bedside alarm clock that holds your iPod.
I could see the Space Needle out of my window--it stuck up over the parking lot.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank geefour907
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I stayed at the Maxwell to visit the attractions at the Seattle Center it was very close to before moving to another hotel for Sakura-Con, and I must say that I wish I could have stayed at the Maxwell for my whole trip!

Let me give you a quick list of the things I loved: the room, bathroom, and shower were nice, clean, and very very roomy; I found the bed to be very comfy; there were a lot of good restaurants and 2 good grocery stores within walking distance; a fridge and a microwave I made good use of; every staff member I ran into was very polite and friendly; it was good to have free wifi and a flat screen tv that got HD channels.

There were a few things that did not lessen my opinion of how awesome the hotel was, but could be a potential dealbreaker for others. You can really hear the people walk around and roll luggage on the floor above you pretty clearly. The nice big tvs in the rooms had a shelf near it that looked convenient if I had brought a video game console. However from what I could tell, there were only had composite video inputs and not the hdmi I would have preferred. Also, the hd channels on the tv weren't on the hotel provided channel listings, but were there way past of all the other sd channels and seemed to be a pretty random selection of what was there. The shower was designed to not need any sort of curtain or door, but it seemed to me that to make it work and not get water all over the bathroom the shower head was pointed towards a corner and was not adjustable at all. That made the very roomy shower seem kinda cramped as I had to huddle in the corner of the shower to stay in the water flow.

All of that said, I loved, loved, loved the Maxwell Hotel! The next time I stay overnight in Seattle, they will be my first and probably only choice!

Room Tip: Top floor for the least noise
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank candancejade
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2011

very good location, friendly staff, clean, modern, plenty parking for the car, fantastic room, couldn't be better.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed May 3, 2011

They really thought of everything at this hotel. First--it looks GREAT--extremely stylish. They also have Seattle touches everywhere--hidden Tim's Cascade Chips, for example. Coffee & sweets in the lobby. Everyone who worked they was extremely pleasant and they do not accept tips.

I fell in love with the hotel when I realized they had thought of the one thing I complain about at EVERY hotel--an outlet with a shelf for your phone. In fact there were outlets EVERYWHERE and they were all easy to get to.

There's a computer with internet in the basement, which I didn't realize until we left. I had to work during my stay and I forgot my computer charger, so I rented their netbook--free and an amazing feature.

I really wouldn't stay elsewhere if I had the choice!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends