“Nice, but nothing spectacular. Far more interesting places to stay than here.”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
l.a.
“Nice, but nothing spectacular. Far more interesting places to stay than here.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

Nice folks and nice moderate amenities, but nothing that makes an especially memorable place to stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

I was in search for a hotel that my family and I could stay whenever we were in Seattle for our short getaways from Vancouver. When we arrived I was surprised to see how modern and new it was, the lobby was huge and a great place to lounge. The front desk told us the hotel would be one year old in two days. They were extremely friendly and even helped me find a tire shop where I could fix the nail in my tire that I encountered on the drive down. He printed a map for me and all the contact info. It was very helpful since I didn’t know that part of town.

We stayed on the 3rd floor looking out to the parking lot, not a big deal for me since I knew there would be no traffic and noise. The rooms were amazing and very clean…I love the Keurig coffee makers (you could choose what flavor of coffee or even make tea). They are way better than those cheap coffee makers in other hotels. There was a nice LCD hanging on the wall that actually gets HD channels if you scroll the channels high enough (it doesn’t mention it on the channel guide they give you). This was the first hotel that I stayed at that had true HD quality. Plus free internet and parking…you can’t go wrong! I forgot to mention the pillows…nice big fluffy pillows and 4 on each bed. I really only needed one, but the more the merrier. Only problem I had with our room was the hardwood floors…you can hear people walking above you. We were lucky to have people that weren’t heavy on their feet and only heard them once in a while.
Great location with plenty of restaurants and walking distance to the Space Needle and monorail that takes you downtown.

The only disappointment we had was that the pool was closed for a couple of days during our stay. I mentioned that to the front desk. They said there was some blood found by the pool and they had to drain the entire pool and fill it. I thought that was great for them to do it for safety reasons and it showed this hotel has a concern for their guests. Most hotels would mop up the mess and add a little more chlorine in the water and be done with it.

I really wasn’t expecting anything, but because of the pool not being open. The front desk person gave us a discount coupon for our next stay. Plus he told us to ask for him the next time we make a reservation and he will give us a great discount. Now that’s what I call customer service…very proactive. We didn’t even have to ask!

I can’t wait to go back!

Goodland, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2011

The stay was comfortable and very well accomodated. I did miss having a Gideon Bible in the room. Should have asked about it, maybe it was only missing from my room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

The Maxwell Hotel is a fantastic hotel. I loved the free parking, the decor and the coffee maker. That's right, the coffee maker. The coffee maker in the room is one of those that makes coffee with the little cups, it was delicious! I have never enjoyed hotel room coffee as much. The room was very clean, the shower was nice and there's a McMenamins pub right next door! The Thai place on the other side is good too. Overall, I had a great stay at the Maxwell Hotel and I will be back. Remember this hotel is not right downtown, but it's not that far away.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

We normally stay at national brand hotels because we are in two frequent-stay programs, but we booked the Maxwell because we couldn't get a reservation over Spring Break on short notice. The Maxwell is independent and locally owned. It is exceedingly well designed and well run. We stayed there with our two young children, but I would go again for a romantic getaway. Parking is free, and we took the monorail from City Center when we wanted to get downtown. There are great restaurants within walking distance, as well as all the Seattle Center attractions, such as the Space Needle, Children's Museum, Pacific Science Center, and Experience Music Project. The Pineapple Express located in the lobby offers espresso, breakfast sandwiches, pastries and more at very reasonable prices. We did not miss room service at all. In addition, some restaurants deliver to the hotel. The pool is a bit small, but it was fine for our needs. There is a lot of local art throughout the hotel. We loved the design and layout of the room--plenty of storage for a family of four, plus a microwave and small refrigerator.

1 Thank thriftybonvivant
vancouver,b.c.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

My family and loved this hotel so much I had to write a review. Beautiful rooms, spacious, well thought out design and great coffee!
Very nice staff.

• Stayed March 2011
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed here March 15-19, 2011 and really enjoyed our stay. First of all, parking is free, which is a big deal in Seattle. It is also very secure, requiring a room key to open the garage door. This hotel is a two block walk from the Space Needle, so it is not in downtown. However, it is still convenient to downtown since you can catch the monorail from the Space Needle to the Westlake Center Mall at 5th and Pine. A one-way trip is $2 per adult, 75¢ per child, double that for a round-trip. Note that if your room faces the Space Needle there are telescopes up there and people can see right into your room if you leave the curtains open. We found that out when we went up there and could see our jackets on the chair by the window! The hotel is brand new so everything is new and clean. The rooms are beautiful and the beds are very comfortable, even the sofabed in our room made for a wonderful night's sleep. We had two king beds and a sofabed in our room so we had a lot of room for our family of 5 (3 adults, an 11 year old and a 14 year old). There was a lot of room for our luggage, and we had plenty of luggage. It wasn't a suite so there was one bathroom and one t.v. for the 5 of us to share, but as long as we could all stay together we were happy. There is free wifi in the room, and also a business center in the lobby. There are no restaurants in the hotel, except for a little snack shop in the lobby. We saw many restaurants nearby though and the hotel staff can recommend some others for you if you ask. It is convenient to Interstate Highway 5, if you head east on Mercer Street which is a block south of the hotel. The front desk staff was very nice but there was a little communication problem between them and the housekeeping staff. We needed 5 bath towels in our room every day and told the front desk to notify housekeeping about our request, but we had to ask for extra towels every day. It was a minor detail that we could overlook though. We loved the decor of the hotel (art deco perhaps?) and how new everything was. We would definitely stay here again since we were so comfortable.

1 Thank Dottybug