“Great on a fine day”

Ranked #20 of 107 Outdoor Activities in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: For over 30 years Seattle Seaplanes has proudly operated on Lake Union, just minutes from downtown Seattle.Our pilots have logged more than 20,000 hours of flying time and countless water landings.At Seattle Seaplanes, we take pride in our high standards of service! Our experience and enthusiasm will be evident when you choose to fly with us. We're ready to take you there.The entire Seattle Seaplanes crew look forward to welcoming you on-board our seaplanes!
Brisbane, Australia
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great on a fine day”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Try to get last minute stand by seats for reduced fare. Great views across Peugeot sound and Seattle. Too quick for me I could have stayed up there for hours to enjoy the views!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank roses4me2

new westminster
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 230 helpful votes
“great family fun at the SKY”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had a very fun and memorable family experience with Seattle Seaplanes in this wonderful 20 minutes in the air. The pilot did a great job of pointing out the sights and explaining what we were seeing. The takeoff and landing were very smooth. We paid $87.50 per passenger, our 20 minute scenic flights were a great way to see Seattle. The scenic route included: The Ballard Locks, Gasworks Park, Downtown Seattle, The University of Washington, Bill Gates' Estate, The Space Needle.....Parking can be very tough in downtown seattle, so free 2-hour parking is available just south of seaplanes, in front of 1177 Fairview Ave North or free (limited) parking on the street along Fairview Ave East or take mass transit and stroll through downtown and get there.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank jack m
Burleigh Heads, Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Buzzing the Space Needle”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Did the 20 minute scenic flight. I would have liked to do a longer flight, but as a solo traveller it's expensive unless other folk are already booked on a flight, so had to content myself with the 20 minute one. The girl who took my call was excellent at answering all my queries and helping me make a good decision. She informed me that I would need to pay a surcharge of $30 if no-one else booked onto the flight and I was happy with that. As it turned out another couple did show up at the last minute so my fare was reduced back to the advertised rate. Our pilot (I think her name was Kim) was professional and informative. She was clearly very relaxed and experienced which instilled a lot of confidence. The takeoff was smooth and Kim maintained excellent control of the aircraft throughout. She pointed out a number of good sights like the Gates residence, the floating bridges etc. I got some great photos and enjoyed the thrill of a very smooth landing on water. I just wish it was longer - happy to pay more for it!

1 Thank tpw226
Palm Beach, Florida
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 259 helpful votes
“the best”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Seaplane travel from Seattle up to the Islands is fabulous. Old small planes flying over the whales to the places you fish, terrific

Visited July 2012
USA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Good tour if you understand what you're getting”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

First, the good. If you've not been in a seaplane before, there is something really fun and unique about the whole experience of taking off and landing on water. That was probably the best part for us. I would definitely rate the tour as fun, and everyone else on board (all 3 of them) seemed to enjoy it too. The pilot was friendly, and everyone we dealt with was nice and accomodating, which is always a plus.

On the downside, the tour is quite short and most of the narration about what you are going to see takes place on the ground. Our pilot gave us a pretty good verbal tour before takeoff, but then as we started moving we were informed that not much would be said while in the air, due to the need to concentrate on flying duties. That may be unavoidable, but if I hadn't already known what I was looking at, I probably would have missed a lot of the sights.

This is not the best way for out-of-towners to really get acquainted with Seattle. That said it was fun little ride and we enjoyed it. We had the Entertainment Book coupon for buy one, get one free, so that was a bonus. If you are on a budget and want to see all the touristy sights, pass on this and do a longer, cheaper city tour. But if you don't mind spending the money and just want something fun to do on a nice day, this fits the bill. Overall, a good tour.

Visited August 2012