“Good location right next to Bolt Bus stop” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel

Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel
Melbourne
“Good location right next to Bolt Bus stop”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I used this hostel because was going to Portland the next day. A night at this hostel they are clean, from what I heard good breakfast and staff is super helpful. The big part to me is a good bathroom, for the ladies bathroom the shower curtains was not enough to cover everything. There should also be hooker inside the shower curtains so you can get changed in private. Its a average hostel.

1 Thank SophyC09
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. Our shower curtains are big enought to stay private. We also have private bathrooms if you don't like commercial showers. We appreciate the input and hope your travles are safe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had a very enjoyable stay here, nice people clean, good facilities...Even had a TV room with flat screen to watch weekend football games.

Breakfast was fine, lots of choices, plus refrigerator and storage areas.

I've been in Int'l District numerous times, never felt unsafe, just use good judgment, esp. very late.

Lots to good, very reasonable food choices nearby and easy access to light rail and buses, plus nice walk to downtown, Pikes Place, stadiums, etc.

Room Tip: I prefer a high floor, but I got 2nd floor. Bring a lock.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. Travel safe and come back soon!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here two nights in October. Staff were very friendly and helpful, it was clean and decent. Bathrooms are pretty nice for a hostel. Breakfast was ok. You get 15 mins free use of computers in the hostel, including printing, which is helpful. Rooms are a decent size (we were in a two person room).

Location is good for transport, but it is in a very dodgy area where I really didn't feel safe at all. (Have just travelled up the whole west coast of the US and I think this is the first time I have really felt unsafe.)

There are some other issues: the wifi is free but really terrible all over the building. Our room had a heater turned on which couldn't be turned off and which made an awful tapping noise that kept us awake. The blinds are useless and don't keep the light out. So not a good nights sleep!

Room Tip: Ask to be kept away from the seagulls!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thanks very much for your kind comments. Always be sure to let us know if there's a problem in the room. Cheers
Reisterstown, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

When I arrived to this Hostle the guy behind the counter was so ignorant, and gave me one of the hottest room without A window facing A wall. He was not telling me the truth when I found out that there were other rooms available the next day with A window.
So he sent me to another room that night where there was trash all over the place, so again I had to go back to the desk, and ask for another room. Lucky there was another person while he was taking A break gave me A room with fresh towels, and A clean room with A window.

The worst part was that no one told me that I couldn't park my car in the parking lot, since an event was to be the next day. When I left the parking lot early that morning there was nothing that said no parking, or towed away anywhere. When I arrived back in the parking lot it was very dark, but when I woke up the next day my car was gone. The people at the Y.H. Didn't warn me, nor was there anything visible that says No Parking. Only one little board that said, No Parking as you drive into the parking lot. Anyone could of miss this.
No one at the Y.H. Would drive me to get my car, so I ended taking A bus, and the bus driver told me to watch my back where she left me off. It was near A train track, in back of A building in the most dangerous area of Seattle. Graffi were everywhere, and gang were very scary, and known to be there in A abandon area. It took me almost 5 hours to find this place, and I was in tears. I had to risk it, and saw A door open, and ask for help to find where the towed area, and so filled with anxiety of no one to help me. I found A lady begging her to please help me, and she told me that this area is meant not be walking around. So after all of this the towed place charged me 600.00 dollars. Never again will I ever go back to this Youth Hostle.

Room Tip: Find another Youth Hostle that will help you, and to satisfied you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GWYNNE W
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thanks for writing your detailed response. I have to point out a couple details. We have no rooms in the hostel without windows. All rooms have at least one window and some have two. My apologies for the less than satisfactory service. I will certainly review with all staff at our next meeting. If you were towed from the IPM parking lot, I've very sorry. They usually post a sign clearly stating parking will be unavailable if there is a neighborhood event. The streets are signed as well. Again, so sorry you had such a tough time finding your vehicle. I can clearly understand why you would be angry. Our building is quite old and has no A/C so on warm days it can get stuffy. We do have individual fans next to each bed to give some breeze. Feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss this further. Cheers and travel safe.

Travelers are raving about these Seattle hotels

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Was my first time in Seattle, the was the first hostel I ever stayed in across the boarder so maybe my expectations could be higher than norm. For the most part the place was great, the desk was nice and helpful, the room was very clean. Just about everything was excellent except for two things.

One was the noise, could basically hear any conversation going on the next rooms no matter how low or high which can be annoying when you are trying to get a early start on the next but you can't because 6 guys are joking around in the next room. Also could heard basically everything else going on in that wing.

Second which isn't so bad but annoying was the WiFi was terrible, when it was working it was ok but that was it, when it was working. Most of the time it was cutting off and I would have to wait 5 minutes just for it to allow me to go onto the next page. Maybe it was the weekend when their server was unstable but for that weekend the WiFi connection was horrible.

Outside of that I would recommend this place to anyone, it is close to the train station, place is clean and you can't really complain about the price.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Glad your stay was relatively good. We are working very hard on the Wi Fi connections. Hope to see a big improvement soon! Cheers and travel safe.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was my first hostel to stay in, and I must say it was a great first experience. The staff were friendly, the price is very affordable, the kitchen was well equipped with all you need to cook and there was plenty of seating. The internet in the rooms was a little sucky, which just poached me into the communal areas, which for me was a good thing as I was travelling solo and for my first time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Chloe B
We really appreciate the kind comments. Glad you connected with other travelers as hostelling is meant to connect folks from other countries. We are working on the internet as I speak and hope to improve our entire Wi Fi experience.
Coos Bay, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

i stayed at the american hotel in china town seattle. i had a relaxing time there also the place was very quiet. they also have cookie night and movie night there.i will stay there again the hotel was over all clean.

Room Tip: always ask to get a bottom bunk next to a window either call or ask the desk.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for your kind comments. Travel safe and we hope to see you again.