Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Not impressed. Firstly, this is the only hotel / hostel I've stayed in over 3 months in the USA that did not include the tax in the ''payment upon arrival'' total on the receipt. I understand it doesn't show on the price quote, but when it says 'total payment upon arrival', to not include the tax is misleading and all other hotels do this once a booking is made. An extra $25 was added which actually is enough to make one look at other establishments. It's like a restaurant getting me to sign for a bill and then doing a seperate charge without my permission. The front staff did not seem to care, the heater in the room was so loud it was unusable at night time, the shower curtain rod kept falling down, the window was so poor it was almost just as quiet if it was open which also meant the cold air came in, the price that I was charged I expected much better quality and value for money than I received, would have been better to pay slightly more for a hotel or even stay at a motel 6. I've been to 20 countries world wide and this is the worst hostel I've been to value for money wise. Look elsewhere if you can

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TheTravelingPanda
Larry L, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

AJ1189, So sorry your experience wasn't what you expected. None of our booking engines quote tax. I agree the statements on these sites can be misleading. So, please accept my apologies. I hope your future travles are enjoyable and problem free.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Within one block of the International District light rail station, four blocks from the Amtrak station, the American Hostel in Seattle is everything you expect in a well-run hostel. The place is clean. The staff is helpful. The bathrooms function just fine. The stairs up from the street are a bit intimidating for a heavy pack. Nice place!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Rakkasan68, Thanks so much for the kind comments. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again!

Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is located in downtown area. Close to the public transit tunnel. Lots of restaraunts around, esp Chinese food and other Aisian foods. Can't get acess to the Internet in the dorm. Some homeless people hang around the streets. Be careful if you come back late! The hostel is safe with secured gate and dorm door! Good price for its value.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank GlobalTrotter81

Thank you Global Trotter 81! We appreciate the kind comments. Enjoy your travels.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

When my friends told me that they've found a really cheap hostel to stay in Seattle I was a bit preoccupied what the conditions there might be. It turned out to be so much better than I expected. Everything (to my attention) was decently clean (bathroom, kitchen, rooms etc). It was really value for money. The only thing that it is a bit scary, is the location. Everything seems fine during daylight as the china town is close and the bus station. But in the night you can hear and see homeless people having fights just outside.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aeternia

Aeternia, Thanks so much for the kind comments. My apologies for the street noise. Travle safe.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I am a normal hostel guest and a HI member so I am well versed in the hostel life and what to expect. After just returning from a trip from Seattle..

Pros
Its so close to Amtrak and the Bolt Bus.

Local mass transit it right there and you can get anywhere.

The kitchen is amazing

Most of the bathrooms has been clean

Cons:
They advertised events that did not happen, no spaghetti night Saturday, no Cookie night Sunday. Dont plan on events happening.

There is grafatti on the wall of one of the WC bathrooms on the second floor.

The neighborhood is as sketchy as most people describe it.

They put me in an all boys dorm when I am obviously not a boy. It took all of us in the room to get me moved. The staff acted like they could care less, and as a hostel member I really do expect more.

You dont want a room near the bathroom because its non stop noise. This is one of the few hostels I have stayed at that only has a very small amount of bathrooms to share among a large group of people.

Its not the worst hostel, but its not the best eaither... Its defiantly a great place to spend a night and get sleep

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bonnie W
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Bonnie, Please accept my apologies for your less than satisfactory stay. I will certainly address my staff using this review as an example of where we can improve. I'm looking for the sign about spaghettie dinners as we hanen't done them in almost a year. Sounds like we dropped the ball on the cookies! Our bad.

Thanks again for the honest review and I wish you safe travels!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed here for a week last December. I got a good weekly rate for just $200 and spent the week touring Seattle. I had a shared room with 4 beds but only 1 roommate. The room and bathroom was clean and their wasn't very much noise. The neighborhood is kind of sketchy at night, a lot of homeless people and drug addicts. I got panhandled or offered drugs every night on my way back to the hostel. But the location is good and close to everything since you are downtown in the Chinatown/International district. The hostel serves a free breakfast of bagels and toast, bananas and oranges, and stuff like that. They also have a tv room and a couple of pinball machines downstairs. The people at the front desk were friendly. There is a laundry facility downstairs too but I never used it. There is a lot of good Chinese restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank James R
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thanks so much for your kind comments. We appreciate the patronage. Come back soon!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very nice Hostel in great location. I have been here for two nights and very much enjoy the property, location and surroundings. I am about one block from Am track and within walking distance of downtown. Many restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and eye shades. Hallways are noisy and blinds don't keep out enough light