“Imbiss food at a great price”
Review of Bratz! - CLOSED

Bratz!
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: University District
Panama City, Florida
“Imbiss food at a great price”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This spot is in the U district and I struggled a little to find a parking spot nearby but in the end it was worth it. I had a schnitzel with pepper corn cream sauce with fries and cucumber salad - very authentic on all items. It reminded me of the kiosk food (Imbiss) you can find in Germany that is tasty, fast, and inexpensive. You have a wait a few minutes (nothing major) as the dishes are made to order which is fine with me. Staff was friendly and helpful. Prices are great and there's a good variety of sausages and schnitzel with sauces. I'll be back next time I'm in town.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank rex7269

Seattle, WA
“Must Visit!”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We live in Seattle and are always looking for new dining adventures. Bratz is funky but great. Not a date place but great when you just want to go as you are for good food. Located in the basement of another restaurant. Wood tables, German brothers run the place and they strive to please. Fine selction of German beers you won't easily find elsewhere. Soccer usually playing on the TV's.
The place is totally casual. Order at the counter and have a seat. Must try the desserts as well. Pictures of the menu items help you select. Food quality is excellent and prices are very reasonable. Closed on Sundays.
Two requests to make this even better: Metal silverware vs. plastic and add a couple of salads to the menu!
We keep going back every couple of weeks since discovering.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank EscapingSeattle
Seattle, Washington
“You don't have to be a Bettelstudent to enjoy”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Although the name is off-putting to the German ear, this little daylight basement restaurant is as authentic as your grandma's Sauerbraten. Egged on by my son, who sniffs out these good deals, I finally stopped by to sample. First visit, I tried the Currywurst (a roadside dish that GIs dote on but is virtually unknown south of Munich). OK, so it's a nice, not spicy Wurst covered in a mix of curry sauce and lots of ketchup - not haute cuisine, nor even up to Gasthaus standards. But the price was right ($5). Was shocked to the core to see photos of Bratwurst held prisoner by a bland-looking soft round bun. Sacrilege! Faux pas! Clearly an American custom has sneaked in the menu - German Wurst always is displayed proudly NEXT to the bread, not encasing it.Left hand holds the crusty bread, right hand the Wurst. Remember that, travelers. You'll get strange looks if you are going hot dog. . .

My second visit (with my son) was much more satisfactory. I gamely ordered the Schnitzel platter with Spätzle and Rotkraut, confident that the kitchen could not meet my high standards. What a revelation: the two (2!) breaded pork cutlets that made Vienna famous were perfectly seasoned, with breading intact, and well-pounded, yet juicy tender ("mürb" we call it in Austria). Accompanied by the required slice of lemon, a flawless execution of the red cabbage - not too sweet, not overcooked, with a good red wine taste. The Spätzle also were nicely home-style, but with the odd addition of a bland hunter sauce. Reminded me of that Canadian monstrosity Poutine. But the combo did make a mark: Try that anywhere outside of the Alpenland and you will be lucky to hit one of three. This is a home run at less than $8 per plate!

I talked with the owners and tried their version of another Austrian standard, the Gulaschsuppe. This often very spicy thinner version of the Austrian/Hungarian national dish Gulyás was a bit too minestrone-like and the bits of tomato and onions are not found in an authentic Gulaschsuppe, because the classic recipe uses tomato paste and the onions are caramelized and reduced to the lovely deep red sludge so beloved by Gulasch- and chili-heads alike. Also was a little light on the caraway. A Gulaschsuppe also gets its spice from a proper Debreziner (like a Frankfurter, but packing HEAT). In Austria, the Gulaschsuppe is often served way up in the Scoville scale. But then again, there are many variants of Gulyás and many ways to reach a higher culinary state.

The owners are from the Pfalz (Zweibrücken) so for the Palatines the wine selection would be first choice. But this is a beer joint, and the selection is as authentic as the Schnitzel platter I consumed. If you are looking for heavier or dark beers, there is only an Ayinger Weißbier (Hefeweizen to you mispronoucing Americans). They also make their own pastries, so I will try these next time. Meanwhile, take my word - at last a good German place with authentic dishes, German TV and an astounding bargain all around! Time to move our Stammtisch. Hut ab!

• Visited May 2011
4 Thank Matrose
Tacoma, Washington
“A superb student hangout!”
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Hey - this is NOT a full service restaurant, so whatever service you get is bonus. But the Jaegerschnitzel I ordered was as good as any I ate throughout Germany's roadhouses and Imbis-places. The place is located in a half-basement and the ambiance is what I enjoyed as a student in the Milwaukee, WI area - good German style cooking, good selection of import beverages - all at affordable prices.
I've been to other places around the Seattle area that claim German-Austrian-Swiss connections, but many of them scalp you with prices that are astronomical and unaffordable on a student budget. And senior citizens can afford these prices as well. The only problem is parking - not much free space available.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank KindheartedSir
“Brats is the Best Thing West of Berlin”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Brats is great! I've lived in Germany off and on for my 40 years. The currywurst is as good as anywhere on the planet.
I saw the rather odd review by SurfnStyle; it seemed to miss the point in every possible way. The service is more than friendly, the food is exceptionally good and reasonably priced. I can only think that SurfnStyle might have presented himself as belligerent or impaired on his visit.

2 Thank soi11