“I Was Wowed”

Island Soul Restaurant
Ranked #552 of 4,199 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Island Soul Caribbean Bar and Cuisine invites you to come taste the Caribbean in the heart of Seattle. At Island Soul Caribbean Bar and Cuisine, you will find hand crafted cocktails, a friendly staff, and an array of flavorful island dishes. Our warm atmosphere will allow you to enjoy some soulful options such as Bayou Gumbo, Curried Goat, Savory Oxtails, and much more. Island Soul food is a composed of the cuisines from both Jamaica and Louisiana. Our Caribbean recipes have been passed down through generations. Everything we serve is local and delicious. We also offer catering and private parties, so give us a call if you're interested. Come check out our recently renovated bar and amazing happy hour. We show all of the Seahawks games as well if you're looking for some great food while watching the game. We hope to see you soon at Island Soul Caribbean Bar and Cuisine.
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Although crowded this was truly the best food experience I had in Seattle. For a moment you feel as though you were in the Caribbean. There was some very good live entertainment and the service was excellent. The food is amazing and we sampled serveral items that were lipsmacking good. Our favorite were the coconut muffins and oxtail soup with rice. This is not in the tourism district but worth the trip over. Bravo to Island Soul.

1  Thank cyounghill
There are newer reviews for Island Soul Restaurant

Reviewed May 11, 2012

My daughter first introduced me to this gem in the Seattle neighborhood of Columbia City. Island Soul is just that! Soul (comfort ) food of the Island. I ordered the oxtail stew on my most recent visit, at lunch time. Great flavor and seasoning. Fall off the bone tenderness. Just good food!
The service was "laid back Island" just as I experienced in the Bahamas, which was fine with me. My group was not there a hurried experience, but to savor the feeling of being far away for just a few moments.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

Before I get to the food, first I have to say the atmosphere and decor of this place is so perfect. Loud colors and beautiful paintings in just the right amount. I couldn't stop looking around and just wishing I was actually sitting on the beach in the Caribbean! And then came the food and I knew I was in love! I had jerk chicken with rice and beans and my boyfriend had the jerk ribs. So unbelievably good! Our server made sure we ordered some corn bread and I now know why! Its coconut corn bread and is so sweet that its a perfect compliment to the spicy food. We even ordered more! I just wish this place was next door to my house and not in Seattle!

Reviewed September 21, 2011

In our ongoing effort to experience a variety of cuisines, we had lunch at this place on a mild afternoon in late September, 2011.

I ordered the Jerk pork spare ribs, my companion ordered the curry chicken, and we sat back and waited for the food to arrive. Over the next thirty minutes, other customers arrived and some of them received their food before our waiter informed us that there was no curry chicken.

When we changed the order to jerk chicken, our plates were delivered pronto.

The chicken was somewhat dried out, but my pork ribs were tender--if a bit too fatty. Both plates were served with a salad and red beans and rice cooked in coconut milk, which was not as tasty a side dish as we had anticipated.

The room is pleasant and there was reggae music in the background, but it was drummed out by the noise of trucks and other traffic coming though a door propped open to the street.

Our waiter was a pleasant young man who had not yet learned how to do two things at once, and there was an attractive woman floating around the room, sipping a beverage, but doing nothing to make things run more smoothly.

We were annoyed that it took over a half hour to serve us food that had been fully cooked long before we walked in the door. While the food was o.k., it wasn't special enough for us to again drive six miles, scramble for a parking place, and wait an unreasonable length of time for it to be brought from the kitchen to our table.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband's entree. oxtail stew, had just a few forksful of meat,. When he commented that fact to our waitress, she shrugged her shoulders. The rice and peas in coconut that accompanied all three entrees was, in fact, flavorless rice and beans. The other two entrees were both chicken curry, ample meat but - flavorless! Our shared appetizer, fried plantains, were a success.
The three of us agreed that we will not return. Our conclusion: High prices for uninspired food!
The restaurant could also use some sound baffles. We three sat at the front window, far from the kitchen in back. We could hear the chefs chopping, sounding as if were sitting by the kitchen door. Also, guests voices bounced as well. This evening out was not one of our better experiences.