“Cheaper than the Needle and Better.”

Sky View Observatory
Ranked #7 of 467 things to do in Seattle
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Don't get me wrong: As a tourist, you're basically obligated to at least go to the base of the space needle, but if you balk at the $20 or so that it takes to go up, then check out the big black building instead. You go up almost to the top and can see more of Seattle than from the Needle, and you get a spectacular view of the mountains. It's only a few blocks from the central library which you might be visiting anyways.

6  Thank SeattleFlyerGuy
Write a ReviewReviews (2,145)
All reviews
"columbia center"
in 139 reviews
"space needle"
in 981 reviews
"tallest building in seattle"
in 42 reviews
"views are amazing"
in 21 reviews
"mount rainier"
in 42 reviews
"great view of the city"
in 28 reviews
in 28 reviews
"visiting seattle"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed July 17, 2010

I decided to do this instead of going up the space needle as it was close to where I was staying. I was so pleased I did - excellent views for a quarter of the price of the space needle!!

The man at the security desk directed me where to go on the ground floor and after two trips in the lifts I paid the $5 and spent a good half an hour observing Seattle from above. You look down on the space needle - how cool is that?! Also it was empty when i first arrived, got 'busy' when there was ten people in there then emptied out again. If you have half an hour to spare, do it!!

3  Thank Englishbrit
Reviewed July 13, 2010

My partner had been up the Space Needle years ago and said it was overpriced. I found this place mentioned on TripAdvisor and saw it was only $5 so we gave it a try instead. Admission was still just $5 (with reduced rates for students and seniors), which is cheaper than the Space Needle. This building is much taller too, so much that you are looking down on the Space Needle. The observation floor was enclosed with air conditioning and windows all along to get a great view of the city and the mountain ranges beyond. The main points such as the mountain ranges and towns beyond were even labeled at the base of the windows and in the free leaflet. We went during the summer so there was a guard on the observation floor (73) to take the money; other times of the year you might need to go through the main entrance at the bottom to get access.

2  Thank Davewise
Reviewed February 7, 2010

For the first time we went up here in august 2008. There was lots of activity going on down below as we scanned the views. There were lots of airplanes flying over(very low) hading for seatac, a seattle mariners game was in progress at safeco field a sounder commuter train was leaving the railway station heading south and tons of ferries arriving and departing colman dock. This view is definately better than the space needle and the smith tower and price is cheap. Will definetely head back here.

1  Thank trainfan01
See more reviews
Reviewed October 22, 2009

My husband was skeptical of what the views would be like, so he insisted that we go to the top of the Space Needle. We were in the Pioneer Square area the next day, so I suggested a visit to the observation deck - well worth it!

It's a little tricky to find the security desk, depending on what floor you come in. The security guards were a little gruff - it's definitely a different experience. You're literally visiting an office building with an amazing view.

Once we got up to the 73rd floor, the views were amazing. We were lucky enough that the day's fog had burned off and we had great views. It is a shame that you don't get 360 degree views, but what you get is great. It was neat to be able to look down on the Space Needle and we had a great view of Mt. Rainer.

Well, well worth the $5 per person! Skip the Space Needle!

5  Thank tuffy0317