“Good museum trip - lots of Seattle history on the native americans and founding families”

Museum of History & Industry
Ranked #23 of 460 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Museum of History & Industry (MOHAI) is dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region and the nation.
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I took our teenage boys here for the first time and we enjoyed the visit. We spent several hours going through the exhibits. I thought the native American history section was very thorough and they had quite a few exhibits on Seattle founding families. I found some of their other sections a little small - e.g., Microsoft. They didn't appear to have much on Starbucks either. They had an innovation section sponsored by Amazon which was interesting but not my favorite section. I liked the Seattle Journey the best. It is focused on the older history of Seattle when it was founded so this would be a good museum to visit before going on the Seattle Underground tour (which is a favorite of mine). It's a smaller museum so I wouldn't want to visit it very often. My sons thought it would be better for younger kids although I thought it had enough for all ages.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

The museum itself is wonderful! It has something for all ages and the local history section provides a realistic look at Seattle's varied past. In addition to all the stuff going on inside, the park around the place, which used to be a Naval Armory, is very nice for picnic, walking, enjoying the beautiful South Lake Union area. We lived across the street and a bit north of the Armory and watched the conversion to the museum. It is also on the waterfront, so there is interesting history and beautiful boats to see right there as well. A very special treat for us, leaving at night when it was dark (and not overcast or raining), is what I think is a FANTASTIC view of the space needle!!! Oh!! Also, there are "travelling" exhibits that change every so often -- so there is something new to see every couple of months (or weeks?) -- not sure how often they change it up.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Perhaps the finest exhibit I've ever seen of local history, the Museum of History and Industry gives visitors an outstanding education on Seattle's history.

Engaging, interesting, and fun, we spent several hours here on the last day of our trip to Seattle. I wish we'd gone the first, as I think it would have given us much better perspective on the city.

It covers how the City grew from its Pioneer days up to present times, including the founding and growth of Microsoft, the grunge music scene and the origins of dot coms, like Amazon.

MOHAI also covers Seattle's original inhabitants, the Native Americans who populated the area long before the pioneers.

Great for all ages, the museum is also a great example of adaptive re-use; It is housed in the former Naval Reserve Armory in South Lake Union.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

The name is dry and boring, but the museum is anything but! Fun for the whole family! Ask for the explorer packs for the kids - full of creative and educational activities to enrich their museum experience. Don't miss the Great Seattle Fire Musical - weirdly and unexpectedly hilarious and my favorite part of the museum! My kids loved EVERYTHING, from the ducks out front, to the interactive exhibits inside, to the scavenger hunt, puzzles and books in the backpacks provided to them by the front desk. Will definitely visit again - especially because it's REALLY affordable!!!

2  Thank Cari E
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This new location of Seattle's Museum of History and Industry is wonderful. The exhibits are well done and really take you through Seattle's history in an interesting way. There are numerous interactive exhibits. Loved the video exhibit with the Native American storyteller! We got there right at opening time and had no trouble parking, however by the time we left 2 hours later the small lot was full.

Been to Museum of History & Industry? Share your experiences!