“6 hours and we still didn't see everything!”

Pacific Science Center
Ranked #25 of 460 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Pacific Science Center ignites curiosity in every child and fuels a passion for discovery, experimentation, and critical thinking in all of us. Get hands-on in our Tinker Tank maker space, wander among fluttering tropical butterflies, immerse yourself in a giant-screen IMAX film, explore distant galaxies and meet local scientists and researchers. Don't miss a show in our popular Laser Dome that features a brand new laser system filling the dome with vibrant light and color! Every visit to Pacific Science Center is unique, engaging and fun for adults and children alike. In addition to our daily live science demonstrations, IMAX films, planetarium and laser shows, we feature traveling exhibits that vary throughout the year. Coming up we'll feature Terracotta Warriors of the First Emperor (April 8-September 4, 2017). Discover this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to investigate the scientific underpinnings of one of the greatest archaeological discoveries of our time: the terracotta warriors. Delve into the science and technology of priceless artifacts, behold real figures from the terracotta army and unearth the mystery hidden in the tomb of the First Emperor.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We're visiting from out of town this week, and have an ASTC pass at a "sister" museum, so admission was free. We got to the PSC around 10am (when they opened) and there was still more to see by 4pm when we left. Obviously, I could have pushed my kids to rush through, but they were having a good time investigating the exhibits on their own, and we had nowhere else to be. They enjoyed the insect and animal "puzzles" and being able to open and close the dino jaws with the hand cranks. I would agree with the previous review that the animatronic dinos are a bit dated... BUT... this did not decrease my kids' enjoyment in the slightest!! We sat through a "class" on sound/vibration -- which was GREAT!! My kids enjoyed it AND learned something. :) My only complaint would be the less-than-obvious schedule of IMAX movies and planetarium shows. By the time we decided to pursue one, the timing was not so hot. There are flyers for the IMAX shows all over the museum, but (unless I missed something?) -- you have to go to a staffed desk to ask about what exactly is playing and at what time and in which theater. Even a sign in front of the theater (ie, Next Show at 1pm) would have been helpful!
We have been contemplating whether to come back again before we leave... we really did have a great time here!!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Our family of 4 visited the Pacific Science Center using our CityPasses. We really enjoyed the IMAX film and the kids had a blast with the interactive exhibits. We all loved interacting with the butterflies in the butterfly exhibit and my 4-year old liked putting together the insect puzzles outside the butterfly exhibit. My 5-year old son liked the music exhibit. My 4-year old was terrified of the moving dinosaurs even after seeing how they worked but both kids enjoyed the IMAX film. All in all, I think it was a great way to spend an afternoon for the little ones, and I would highly recommend it for parents of preschoolers and kindergarteners.

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We honestly only visited because this museum was included in the City Pass we had purchased, but very little to do here for adults. After the butterfly exhibit and running through a couple others, we watched an IMAX documentary and left.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We took our two teenagers and they had a blast interacting with all the exhibits. Us grown ups even learned a thing or two. Another great feature of the Seattle City Pass.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Our first time in Seattle and we decided to go as a family to the Pacific Science Center. The entire family loved it! There are so many interactive exhibits that everyone can participate in. MindBall was fun and a challenge to see who could quiet their mind the most to get the ball to move to the opponents side. We made the Laser Light show - this one was a Michael Jackson theme - as did many others and the show was filled with whoops and hollers and just plain fun. There are exhibits indoors and out that beg you to interact with them. And to add a little tropical flavor, we took in the Butterfly exhibit which was well worth the time.

My kids are at different stages now -- teenager and elementary school-age -- and they both enjoyed our day here. I will definitely put the Pacific Science Center on our list for our next trip to Seattle.