“The Best Zoo I Have Been To So Far”
Review of Woodland Park Zoo

Ranked #23 of 443 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nationally award-winning Woodland Park Zoo is a 92-acre zoological garden dedicated to the conservation of wildlife. Featuring more than 1,000 animals representing nearly 300 species from around the world, a visit to Woodland Park Zoo will make your day and a difference.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Shelton, Connecticut
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“The Best Zoo I Have Been To So Far”
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I don't know how anyone could make bad reviews about this zoo. Maybe all the animals were visible on the day I went. All I can say is that I have been to a bunch of zoo's around the country and this is with out a doubt the best zoo I have ever seen. I have not seen San Diego Zoo yet so this may change after I see that one. The displays of animals in their natural habitat were amazing, something you don't notice as much in the east coast zoos. I was just amazed at how big this zoo was and how many animals they had. As I said maybe because it was a cool August day that they all seemed to be visible.

1 Thank emdpetey

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Beloit, Wisconsin, USA
“Absolutely Fantastic”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I went to this zoo on a Monday in July with a friend. It was a wonderful zoo that we both thoroughly enjoyed. Having been to at least 7 different zoos throughout the US, I think this is one of the best, if not THE best, I have ever been to.

Dallas, TX
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“If member of another zoo, admission is free. Positive review stops there.”
Reviewed August 18, 2010

This zoo is in a park and has a nice setting to walk around. However, there isn't much to see otherwise. Approximately 75% of the animals were not even in the cages. We went on snow leopard day. I saw signs everywhere about the snow leopard. What did I see? The snow leopard's cage. No snow leopard.

Same goes for the bears, tigers, orangutans and many others. We were not alone on this. We would go 10 minutes between seeing animals. When we finally saw one we applauded and were joined by others. The person who called this a nature walk was spot on. Nice pretty walk with lots of trees and well-shaded.

If you have small kids, don't go. All of the viewpoints are built for someone at least 4 1/2 feet tall. Kids can't see without being picked up, or in some cases put on your shoulders. Not fun for them or for you.

The park also zig-zags a bit and makes you re-walk many of the same circular patterns to exit an area. Not well designed.

I recognize that having 2 small kids who love animals has turned me into a bit of a "zoo snob" but this was probably the worst zoo I have been to (well behind San Diego, Oregon Zoo (my current favorite), Dallas, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Phoenix, DC, Bronx zoo just to name a few I have been to in the last few years). After 75 minutes my kids were bored and not upset to leave.

If you haven't been to a zoo in 10 years you may not be disappointed. Be advised that at 16.50/ person it's a ripoff though. If you're a zoo member at a reciprocal zoo however it was a welcome surprise to find out admission was free. that works well when you realize it wasn't worth your time in the first place.

Seattle is a great city with tons to see and do. Skip this attraction.

Johnson City, Tennessee
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not impressed at all”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

This was just a walking park. Very natural yes. No decently paved pathways. We had just seen the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium a few days prior to our visit of Woodland Park Zoo. Go to Point Defiance Zoo it rocks in comparison. We are from TN and came to Seattle on a vacation. We had purchased the GoSeattle Card for area attractions. This was our least favorite attraction. Granted it was hotter than the average Seattle day, when we visited. The animals were probably in a cool area. We didn't see very many animals, did a huge amount of walking to see nothing, and the animals we did see didn't seem to have enough water to keep them cool or hydrated. We couldn't even find a beverage cart to purchase drinks from they were all closed up 2 hours prior to the park closing. The kids were very concerned about the animals being thirsty. Not a good experience at all. No employee spoke to us, except to take our money on admission. This was a flat disappointment to us. Go to Point Defiance Zoo, its laid out nicer and is very kid friendly.

2 Thank nurse2trucker
Seattle
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Excellent "nature style" zoo!”
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Woodland Park Zoo is a Seattle treasure. I love animals and this zoo has taken great pains over the years to create as much of a natural habitat for the animals as is possible.

They are always improving and adding opening new areas. Just last month, the Humboldt Penguin habitat opened and it is wonderful!!! The penguins can be easily viewed through several large glass windows as they swim, twirl and splash. The penguins have a nice roomy outside area resembling their Peruvian habitat.

The Rain Forest aviary is beautiful and relaxing as you are able to watch the birds fly around, perch, and hear their calls to each other.

Check out the raptor shows....you will love it.

The landscaping/habitat is lovely with a mixture of plants including some timber bamboo here and there along the winding paved pathways.

Some here have complained about not being able to see some of the animals. That is true, sometimes you won't see certain animals because they have retreated for a rest or to take refuge from the heat or even the stress of crowds. But by allowing the animals to "be themselves" reduces their stress and keeps them healthy and happy. And if you are patient and observant, you will see some amazing things. Today, my husband and I visited the zoo and most of the animals were out and about and active.

Going in the morning and/or early part of the afternoon is usually the best time. On a very hot day, some animals will seek shade or their indoor shelter. Today it was around 72 degrees and most of the animals were out and about and loving it.

So much thought and care (and lots of money) have gone into the design of The Woodland Park Zoo.

The WPZ is, hands down, better than the San Diego Zoo. Yes, the San Diego Zoo has more animals but most of their animals are in awful cages which doesn't really provide for great viewing or to observe their natural behaviors.

3 Thank littleleers