Woodland Park Zoo
Ranked #23 of 461 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nationally award-winning Woodland Park Zoo is a 92-acre zoological garden dedicated to the conservation of wildlife. Featuring more than 1,000 animals representing nearly 300 species from around the world, a visit to Woodland Park Zoo will make your day and a difference.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed March 30, 2010

we enjoyed a sunny saturday at the zoo met some extended family from bellingham here while we were in town for a conference. we spent about 6 hours enjoying the exhibits, we packed our own lunch, and with a coupon from the hotel it was a very inexpensive trip (did pay $5 for parking.) It was too nice of a day for the inside zoomazium but it did seem like there were enough things to do even if it was raining.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,710)

Reviewed November 19, 2009

Reading the previous reviews, I can see that a lot of positive reviews were based on feeding and interacting with animals, petting zoo, things for children, etc. That's not what a zoo should be. Woodland Park Zoo is a big park with animals and I do agree it's really for kids. Having moved to Seattle from Washington, DC, I was very disappointed in the quality of the animal exhibits/enclosures. They seem very old fashioned and small. The fabulous snow leopards don't seem to have much more than a suburban backyard swath of grass. I think the zoo is trying, but still not world class yet. If you've never seen a zoo anywhere, this is a start. Otherwise, not worth the trip. I felt depressed when I left.

1  Thank GrayFrida
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Love this zoo! We bought an annual pass this year, and have been many times over the spring and summer. We love the winding paths which makes it feel like you're in the wilderness. We love the gorilla and other primate exhibits. The African Savanna is gorgeous. We love the outdoor play area (the indoor one is nice too, but some of my kids are too big for it - so we usually skip it).

Reviewed August 17, 2009

We've been to many zoos and only went to this one as we had tickets as part of the Seattle City Pass deal. However it was EXCELLENT and can be thoroughly recommended. Even the food was good!

Reviewed August 1, 2009

The Woodland Park Zoo is a good example of to each his own. I have seen other reviewers, and even heard two people complaining about having difficulty seeing the animals. These complaints do have a lot of validity. The zoo is set up to allow the animals to have large, natural habitats. If you want the animals wheeled out and put in a cage right in front of you then you won't like this zoo. If you think it would be fun to work a bit, and enjoy viewing the animals as you would in the wild then you will love this zoo. The two best examples of this are the large african savannah and the elephant habitat. Each has at least 6-8 different viewing areas. Some large, and some small. It is very possible that you may have to visit them all to see the animals in a given area. It is also possible you may not be able to see them right in front of you. For me this was actually a very rewarding experience. The animals were active on the day I went, and I am sure they are happy and healthy because of the lengths taken to recreate a natural habitat. It should also be noted that not all of the exhibits are large with multiple viewing areas. I would say this only applies to 30 or 40% of the total exhibits.

From a variety standpoint, Woodland Park is not the biggest I have been to. They do not have the most diverse range of animals compared to say Denver or San Diego. I however, have always preferred quality over quantity. Going back to the habitats, every single exhibit was meticulously put together paying attention to the most finite details creating a natural experience. The shows were good as well. We went to the keeper discussion at the elephant exhibit and one of the elephants went for a swim. The keeper had her going under the water and swimming around quite a bit for bits of food.

My wife and I spent five hours enjoying every area of this zoo. I have not been to another zoo with better natural habitats and viewing areas. Again, if you want the animals wheeled out in a cage right in front of you, this zoo will not be for you. Know what to expect before you go, and enjoy it.

4  Thank accountant_guy