“Better than the San Diego Zoo (and that's saying a lot!)”
Review of Woodland Park Zoo

Woodland Park Zoo
Ranked #23 of 461 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nationally award-winning Woodland Park Zoo is a 92-acre zoological garden dedicated to the conservation of wildlife. Featuring more than 1,000 animals representing nearly 300 species from around the world, a visit to Woodland Park Zoo will make your day and a difference.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Love this zoo! We bought an annual pass this year, and have been many times over the spring and summer. We love the winding paths which makes it feel like you're in the wilderness. We love the gorilla and other primate exhibits. The African Savanna is gorgeous. We love the outdoor play area (the indoor one is nice too, but some of my kids are too big for it - so we usually skip it).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,711)

Reviewed August 17, 2009

We've been to many zoos and only went to this one as we had tickets as part of the Seattle City Pass deal. However it was EXCELLENT and can be thoroughly recommended. Even the food was good!

Reviewed August 1, 2009

The Woodland Park Zoo is a good example of to each his own. I have seen other reviewers, and even heard two people complaining about having difficulty seeing the animals. These complaints do have a lot of validity. The zoo is set up to allow the animals to have large, natural habitats. If you want the animals wheeled out and put in a cage right in front of you then you won't like this zoo. If you think it would be fun to work a bit, and enjoy viewing the animals as you would in the wild then you will love this zoo. The two best examples of this are the large african savannah and the elephant habitat. Each has at least 6-8 different viewing areas. Some large, and some small. It is very possible that you may have to visit them all to see the animals in a given area. It is also possible you may not be able to see them right in front of you. For me this was actually a very rewarding experience. The animals were active on the day I went, and I am sure they are happy and healthy because of the lengths taken to recreate a natural habitat. It should also be noted that not all of the exhibits are large with multiple viewing areas. I would say this only applies to 30 or 40% of the total exhibits.

From a variety standpoint, Woodland Park is not the biggest I have been to. They do not have the most diverse range of animals compared to say Denver or San Diego. I however, have always preferred quality over quantity. Going back to the habitats, every single exhibit was meticulously put together paying attention to the most finite details creating a natural experience. The shows were good as well. We went to the keeper discussion at the elephant exhibit and one of the elephants went for a swim. The keeper had her going under the water and swimming around quite a bit for bits of food.

My wife and I spent five hours enjoying every area of this zoo. I have not been to another zoo with better natural habitats and viewing areas. Again, if you want the animals wheeled out in a cage right in front of you, this zoo will not be for you. Know what to expect before you go, and enjoy it.

4  Thank accountant_guy
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband and I have been to different zoos and we just thought that this one was just a park, really just for children to play.
Was very hard to see the animals, since they are soo far away to see, plus they were all sleeping, the grass was so high, that you just could ONLY imagine there was an animal there.
Entrance too expensive, plus you have to pay $5 for parking and extra $5 just to see, touch and or feed the giraffes. Unbelievable!
I would not recommend anyone to go there. there are better places to spend time in Seattle. Not the ZOO.

2  Thank sunflower1081
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We went twice in the past to weeks ...one Sunday am and one Saturday pm!

Both were great experience!

The first we went to the right of the south entrance and experienced many large animals seen some close up and others from a far distance.We saw the penguin new exhibit with them swimming furiously around the pool! then we went to just the petting zoo quickly as it took 3 1/2 hours to do that tour. That was time enough to leave and give the child a nap! Our two year old walk from the entrance almost all the way back to see the south entrance. The pint of milk in the food court was awfully expensive for the child but the chow mein was only $3.00.

The second time we went with our 14 month old. We went to the left thru the farm animals, taking the all the loops and ending at the new penguin exhibit! The child enjoyed so much going this direction because most was seen close up from the stroller. Our child loved petting the goats and saying "hi" to the pigs and all the other animals! The diving birds,he monkeys, the huge and baby gorillas and the red pandas entertained him the best! The penguin were not swimming so it was difficult for the child to see them at all from a stroller.

We wanted to buy him a red panda plush stuffed animal but the gift store did not have any.