“An Excellent Zoo”

Ranked #23 of 443 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nationally award-winning Woodland Park Zoo is a 92-acre zoological garden dedicated to the conservation of wildlife. Featuring more than 1,000 animals representing nearly 300 species from around the world, a visit to Woodland Park Zoo will make your day and a difference.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking
Wantagh, New York
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“An Excellent Zoo”
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I loved my visit to the Woodland Park Zoo. I have never been to the San Diego Zoo. However, I have been to the Bronx Zoo (Bronx, NY) and preferred the Woodland Park Zoo. The exhibits are layed out so nicely. The animals look like they are in their natural habitats. One of the major attractions at this time is the flamingo exhibit. However, any other type of animal you would expect to see at a zoo is there, and more.

2 Thank dbtraveler58

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Spokane
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Nice Zoo - lot of walking.”
Reviewed August 20, 2008

I've been to a few zoo's, San Diego, Portland, etc. and each has it's +'s and -'s. This one is ... well ... a zoo. It's a pretty decent one, and you get to see some neat things, but it is a zoo, so don't expect 'chariots' and 'harps', just expect a decent zoo, a decent enough day, the kids should enjoy some of the exhibits, and then go about your other Seattle experiences. The zoo is laid out well, where you can see almost all of it without too much backtracking. Still A LOT of walking, so be prepared. It took us between 4 - 5 hours to see it all, so expect a pretty long day. A lot of exhibits were empty. A lot of animals were out of sight. A lot of animals preferred sleeping than showing off for you. Like I said, it's a zoo, you get what you get. We had some great up close shots of the bears, the gorillas, the giraffes, etc. The white wolf was beautiful. There were many interactive areas so you can feed birds, pet the animals, etc. So, in summation:

Highlight, for me, was the eagle and wolf. So close to you and so beautiful.

Con: they need to build an exit for the North Side exhibit area. It is the only one that has one way in and one way out. So you have to back track through all the exhibits to get back to the main trail, that shouldn't have to happen.

Lowlight (but the highlight for my kids): the Gorillas. Okay, they were right up close, if there wasn't any glass you could have scratched their backs. They looked almost human in the way they moved and acted. BUT ... or I could say BUTT ... right in front of us, the largest gorilla decided to take a nice big crap, okay, no big deal this is the animal kingdom, but then right after he did it, with it still warm and steaming, he turned around, picked it up, and ate it. I didn't need that. I guess it saved me money on lunch. Oh well.

2 Thank bndjunction4
Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great day for the family:)”
Reviewed August 8, 2008

My husband and I decided to take our kids (ages 9 & 10) to Seattle for 5 days. One of our days we went to the Woodland Park zoo. This is a fantastic zoo and great family outing!! We spend 6 1/2hrs at the zoo, my kids cant stop talking about it. There was lots of animals to see, the park was clean and big enough that is wasnt extremely busy in one area and the staff were very friendly and informative.
highly recommended, A+

3 Thank Travelingmedic
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“What a beautiful zoo!”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We had purchased a CityPass for our Seattle trip which included admission to the zoo. The zoo wasn't high on our priority list of things to do but we figured, What the heck? It's paid for, right? We might as well visit.

I am SO glad we did! It was one of my favorite parts of the trip. I'm sure the fantastic weather helped, but the park was simply lovely. The landscape and zoo exhibits were stellar and most animals were visible in their habitats. The butterfly exhibit was very cool, and my husband and I had butterflies landing all over us! A unique experience.

Definitely use the map provided because there are many twisty lanes off the beaten path. I could have walked around the zoo all day, but 3 hours was plenty of time to see everything.

5 Thank Aviendha~131
Fort Worth, TX
220 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 345 helpful votes
“Realistic animal displays”
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We live near a highly rated zoo and we still commented how much we loved visiting this zoo. The biggest thing our whole family agreed upon is how the zoo did a great job of making you feel like you really were in the region of the world the animals were from. In the Asia jungle exhibit you wandered paths through thick bamboo and foliage. The African Plains you explored an African village where you went into the huts and school house to see into the animal displays. The tropical rain forest area was an insde building but the humidity and fake trees made you feel like you were in the jungle.

Our favorite was the Night Exhibit building where you wound through an indoor walkway in near darkness to see nocturnal animals such as bushbabies, armadillos and huge fruit bats.

If you have small kids definitely visit the Zoomazium - a spectacular indoor kids playground. Inside is a miniaturized african village for the toddlers all the way up to an indoor 2 story tall kapok tree with a slide inside. They even have a trading post where kids can bring thing with them to the zoo like bones, leaves, etc and trade them in for other things.

3 Thank TexasTraveller56