Woodland Park Zoo
Ranked #23 of 461 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nationally award-winning Woodland Park Zoo is a 92-acre zoological garden dedicated to the conservation of wildlife. Featuring more than 1,000 animals representing nearly 300 species from around the world, a visit to Woodland Park Zoo will make your day and a difference.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Crowded with people, sad zoo attractions that made me decide that I don't want to visit zoos anymore. There were a lot of people on the day we went, making it difficult to move around. I can't tell you the number of times I was almost ran over by a stroller or a kid. The animals made me sad, their spaces were either small or overgrown with weeds so you couldn't see much. The orangutan had a bucket over his head, and while everyone thought it was cute, I felt bad for him. I have no idea why the giraffes were in tiny pens, but that also made me sad. The snow leopard pen was depressing and I couldn't wait to get out of there. The zoo map is confusing and there were times we would walk thinking we were exiting only to end up at a dead end. I used to love to visit zoos as I thought it gave people a chance to see animals up close in order to gain new respect for them, but after visiting this zoo and seeing the money go toward restaurants and snack bars instead of the animals, I'll pass on ever going again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,710)

Reviewed September 13, 2013

First off be forewarned that this is an outside zoo. So unless you like to walk in the rain I suggest you pick a sunny day. It's reasonable priced and so is the food. Speaking of the food their options were amazing! The diversity of animals was great and their exhibits were very well put together. If you haven't been there recently go again.

jennifer_larsen, Tourism Marketing at Woodland Park Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you for posting your review of Woodland Park Zoo on Trip Advisor, we're so glad you enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I visited this as part of the Seattle CityPass (we used the zoo option instead of the Museum of Flight). Two of our friends came along as well. We all had a great time. We went on Labor Day and got there right when it opened. I think there was only one animal we didn't see in the entire zoo and that's because they weren't on display that day. There were tons of babies on display (lion cubs, jaguar cubs, a baby giraffe, etc.)! In contrast to some other zoos we've been to, we thought most of the animals had ample space to roam (the elephants practically have their own park!) and they all seemed quite content. The otters were a huge hit -- I could have stayed there and watched them all day. I highly recommend this zoo whether you're using the CityPass or not.

jennifer_larsen, Tourism Marketing at Woodland Park Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for your review of Woodland Park Zoo; we're so glad you enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Park was clean, staff very informative and friendly but the animals look down right miserable. The lions were in a space the size of a studio apartment and although we walked the entire park, only saw about 5 or 6 animals that were awake and normal looking. Very depressing. I will not be back any time soon. Paid almost 40$ for next to nothing, not including food and drink.I think their money could be better used on expanding animals living quarters instead of having a snack bar and bench every 100 ft.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I dont understand these reviewers who call this place small, in fact we found it quite spacious. There is not so many animals as in San Diego, but the enclosures are very nice and if you are interested in animals, you wont be dissappointed. What I was missing were more specific information tags on some enclosures, the existing ones are mostly oreinted to funny facts to attracts crowds. Three hours are a minimum for visit, I would recommend 5 or 6 if you want to see everything thoroughly. The only thing to take notice of is there is not much places to visit on a wet day, I would not go there in rain.