“Fairly small aquarium, tide pools are cool.”
Review of Seattle Aquarium

Ranked #64 of 466 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The heartbeat of hands-on marine experience and preservation education in the Pacific Northwest, the Seattle Aquarium offers fun, exciting ways to discover more about the amazing Puget Sound that surrounds you! Join us in our mission: Inspiring Conservation of Our Marine Environment.
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I went to the aquarium in June 2010 because it was included in my city pass and was near other attractions I was going to visit. When we first arrived we ate lunch in the cafe. I wouldn't recommend this. The food was overpriced and not that great, you can find much better places to eat nearby along the waterfront.

Then we walked around the aquarium. I was very surprised at how small it was. I'm from Chicago and I expected it to be more comparable to the Shedd, which it is not. They basically have a big wall of fish when you come in, the tide pools, and a small exhibit behind tide pools in one building. In another building they had the bird display, salmon hatchery exhibit, underwater dome, and the mammal’s area (seals). I may have missed one or two things, but that was basically it. You can pretty much walk through it in an hour. They do also have a decent gift shop, I got a few things there.

For me the coolest thing was the tide pool exhibit, you could actually reach in and touch starfish, etc. Lots of kids were clustered around it, so it must have been popular with the little ones. For the salmon hatchery, we were there in June, so too early to really see much with them. In the seal area they had some trainers working with them to do tricks, etc. It was a very small area and people were crowded around a small ledge to watch what was going on. The set up in the mammal area is poor for viewing, if you don't get there right away before the crowd you can't see and you have to stand up to watch. My mom was in a wheelchair and couldn't see at all.

Overall, this seemed more like a small town aquarium then one I would expect to find in a major city like Seattle. It wasn't bad or anything, I guess I just expected more.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,541)
All reviews
"rainy day"
"puget sound"
in 105 reviews

Reviewed October 13, 2010

We expected more on this aquarium but was disappointed. Not comparable to Shedd Aquarium of Chicago or Monteray Bay of California.

1  Thank larpi311
Reviewed September 8, 2010

It was somewhat interesting but I expected more. Appeared to be needing updating. The underwater dome exhibit was a disapointment because the grid structure made it appear to be many little aquairiums which obstructed the view - I guess it was needed to support all that water. Otter exhibit not particularly attractive for either the otters or people. The coral aquariums were quite impressive. Has a nice outdoor deck for eating lunch and watching the boats in Puget Sound. But this all appears to be a tourist attraction mostly for children.

Reviewed August 29, 2010

I have been to many great aquariums and had high expectations for Seattle's but was disappointed. I had high hopes walking in, there is a huge beautiful tank that takes up most of a wall. Pretty much the nicest tank they have though. The others are very small, and there isn't an impressive variety of fish. The "tide pool" section is also nice if you have never seen a tide pool before. It is stocked with a hundred or so starfish that you can touch and there are some anemones and crabs. The mammals have tiny, dirty homes and there are two kind of otters and two kinds of seals, that is all. There are only a couple of sea birds, the enclosures for them are small and some are fenced over so it makes it harder to see them.
The fish "dome" is disgusting and a giant grid where a lot of the fist just kind of lay on the concrete grid. Weird and outdated.
Children would enjoy this, disappointing for adults. Seemed like a steep price for a small aquarium.