“IKEA in Seattle”

Ranked #28 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“IKEA in Seattle”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This was an interesting place to stay. Last time I stayed in Seattle, we rented a car and it stayed parked in a garage our entire stay. Thanks to the other reviewers of Hotel Five, I saw we could take the Light Rail straight from SeaTac airport right to Westlake station - which is just a few blocks from Hotel Five! It only cost $2.75 per person verses a car rental or the $45 cab ride! The location is between the Space Needle and Pike's Place Market, so its a great location! One night we went to Zeke's pizza in Belltown near the needle which felt more local than touristy. (maybe it wasn't and we were blissfully ignorant, but to us it didn't feel like a tourist place!)

Hotel Five has an interesting decor. It seemed like IKEA set in Seattle. It had a lot of reds, bright yellows and reds. However, I don't stay in hotels for the day, so its not a big deal. When checking into our room, the outside of the room had a big handicap symbol right on the room number display. (and the numbers were big!) Gee. Thanks for making us feel so different and point that out to all the other guests that our room isn't like all the others. Honestly, what the hell is the point of making all the other guests know the room is "different"? Like someone in a wheelchair doesn't get enough stares anyway. I've never seen this before in a hotel and it was somewhat insulting.

Anyway, done with my rant. Back to the room. The floors don't have carpet, but a laminate which looks like wood. It had its pros and cons. The pro is that it felt much cleaner than carpet, but the con was that it could be very loud. Luckily we didn't have loud neighbors, so it wasn't a problem during our stay. They had the soap, lotion and shampoo dispensers. Unlike other hotels I've stayed, Hotel Five did a good job of not making them look tacky. The Air Conditioner was a wall unit, but I knew with the monorail and the floors, noise could be a problem. I brought earplugs with me so if you are a light sleeper, you may want to do the same. The room was decent size, but there are a few improvements I would suggest:

1. They should have towel racks or hooks inside the bathroom for towels. I would have saved my towels from one day to the next, but there was nowhere to hang them! So, I just threw them on the floor and got new ones after housekeeping came which was very unnecessary
2. Although it didn't rain on our trip, if you were wearing a wet jacket, there wasn't a hook at the entry of the room to hang it. Not sure where you would put a wet jacket.
3. We were right next to the elevators. The constant "DING!" of the elevators was pretty loud. (louder than most hotels)
4. Get a real door for the bathroom. The door was on a rail which slides back and forth along the wall - so it doesn't really lock or close tightly. This leaves a lot to be desired for better privacy.

Overall, despite the little issues, I would suggest staying here. It is right next to Top Pot Donuts which seems to be very popular. It is walking distance from the light rail from the airport, and walking distance to the Space Needle and Pike's Place. (plus it is much more reasonably priced that some of the other hotels in the heart of Seattle's downtown!)

Room Tip: bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. The rooms in front face the monorail, the A/C is loud.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I am moving to the Seattle suburbs from New Mexico and had several days to kill before I could move into the new place. Because I'm a daily bicyclist, I decided to try and find a place in Seattle that had loaner bikes. Failing that I figured I'd use my points and stay for free at a Residence Inn. When I read about the Pineapple owned hotels having loaner bikes, I immediately called them to check pricing. I was a bit surprised how expensive they were but I really wanted to be able to see Seattle by bike before I had to return to work. The weather was beautiful and despite the expense, I decided to splurge.

When I made the reservation, I asked if refrigerators were available and he stated only upon request. I requested one but was disappointed to find there wasn't one in the room. I did like the modern, Ikea style look of the room and the mattress was firm and comfortable. There were plenty of pillows even though they were all a bit firmer than I like. Unlike other reviewers, I love the dispenser style containers in the bathroom for soaps and lotions. The K-Cup maker is a definite plus too. The walls are thin and I could hear my neighbors televisions and the street noise from 5th Ave quite clearly from my second floor room but it wasn't obnoxious enough to really bother me.

The real dealbreaker about this chain of hotels that will prevent me from ever using them again was the loaner bicycles which was why I decided to stay there in the first place. On my first day there I looked over the cruisers in the lobby to select one to take out for a ride. Half had tires that needed to be aired up, one had an issue with its chain and wasn't usable. I found one that seemed to be fine and took it out into downtown. Within half a mile the left pedal arm fell completely off the bike. I had to walk it back to the hotel and check out another bike. The front desk gave me a "sorry about that" and I finally got back on the road on another bike. This was bike made for a male with the seat way too low but it was the best option they had since the others weren't really mechanically safe. I managed to bike around 35 miles that afternoon on it with no real issues. The next day I checked it out again and headed for Mercer Island. I managed to make it all the way to Mercer Island and rode around for another hour before I noticed the left pedal arm on this bike had also worked loose and was in imminent danger of falling off. I didn't have the proper amount of cash for the bus but luckily the bus driver allowed me to hop on and ride back to a stop near the hotel. I was humiliated and fed up by then.

The hotel gave me a 15$ certificate for their restaurant to make up for my "inconvenience" but this really does nothing to make me feel that staying here wasn't a really bad decision. I could have stayed elsewhere for a lot less money and better amenities and just rented a good bike.

If the loaner bikes are a selling point for you in staying here, reconsider.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed here in 2011, hotel was under renovation to update rooms - fortunately we were placed in a room that had already been updated. We were pleased with the stay - saved a boatload compared to other downtown hotels, and were still within walking distance to all the downtown attractions. The front desk was very helpful with restaurant suggestions and info on public transportation. No fridge in our room btw...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Loved this hotel! Highlights: very cool suite, great shower, and the huevos rancheros! Location is amazing, very close walking distance to main attractions of Seattle. Only 1 block from great doughnut shop. Friendly and helpful staff. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We (boyfriend and I) stayed for three nights in mid-August. Location is perfect for walking to the city center, waterfront and to public transportation. The train station, bus, monorail etc. were just a couple of blocks away.

The front desk staff was very helpful. They provided information about where to eat, hear live music, and how to get from the hotel to various sights. They were friendly, kind, and enthusiastic.

The room was clean, modern and spacious. We slept well and always returned to a clean and well stocked room. The bathroom had soap. shampoo,and conditioner in dispensers on the shower wall.

This hotel is funky and modern in its decor. The restaurant on site provides delicious meals at a great value. Free coffee is in the lobby, and Keurig coffee/tea machines are in each room. The TV is plasma and worked perfectly.

No complaints...just accolades. Wonderful - highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Great location to get to all the attractions you want including the space needle, ride the ducks, pike place market, emp museum and the WSCC, all of which are within 30 minute walk. Stayed here over the week of PAX prime 2012 and it was ideal for getting to the convention centre and all the night time events as well. Only down side was the wifi which was very weak, although this is offered free so can't complain too much. The linked Max's cafe, open between 7:30am and 1:00pm, is good for breakfast or early lunch with reasonable prices for the area. Overall good value and great location. Worth a look if you plan to stay in this part of Seattle.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This property used to be another mid-range/low-range chain hotel. (I think Ramada if I remember correctly.) It's in a great location within easy walking distance to the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, and lots of shopping and restaurants.

The new owners have done a nice job changing the decor from the bland boring Ramada decor but when we were there, the renos were still ongoing. They had scaffolding up right outside our window.

No complaints. Service was friendly, room was clean, and we enjoyed this as a base for checking out the city. If this is your first time visiting Seattle I would recommend this hotel. However, if I ever go back I will probably want to check out another hotel option.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple