“Awesome location and very modern, but a bit noisy”

Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #27 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Regina, Saskatchewan, Can
“Awesome location and very modern, but a bit noisy”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in the middle of July, and enjoyed my stay for the price paid. We travelled as a couple, and were on a vacation to site see, shop and eat Seattle's fine food (and drink coffee of course). We had purchased a night using hotels.com, and the other nights with a Groupon. I was initially a little skeptical using a Groupon, but its deal was the reason I chose this hotel over others I had short listed when researching Seattle. When I called after purchasing the Groupon, the man I spoke to was very helpful and made me feel confident in my Groupon purchase.

I had read reviews online saying to get a room away from the elevators. So I had requested this when I booked. However, when we checked in, we were given room 319, right across from the elevators, which we thought we would try and see how it went. Unfortunately the reviews were right, and we could not sleep that night due to the elevators, several guys partying the in the halls and going room to room til 3 am, then the rush hour traffic from 630am being extremely noisy. I was exhausted and grumpy, so went down to the front to ask to switch rooms. I travel a decent amount, and have never ever asked to do this, but I knew if I stayed in that same room I might as well just have slept in a box alongside the freeway. Luckily, the girls at the front desk were very helpful, and said we could switch rooms but they didn't have anything available, so we could leave our bags at the desk and when a room became free, they would take our bags to the new home leave there them while we were out for the day. Unfortunately, when we arrived back at the hotel in the evening, this was not done, and it still showed our room as 319, and our bags were not moved. So the man at the front desk was helpful and put us on the 5th floor and we took our bags up. Overall, it worked out, and I enjoyed the rest of my stay at Hotel Five. The girl working the cafe (Max's cafe) was awesome, she remembered what we liked to drink and we ate there every morning except one (had to try TopPot Dougnuts!). The portions there were HUGE! Two people could easily share a meal. The yogart parfait was good too.

Hotel Five definitely has a great location, as it is within 5 mins of the Space Needle, shopping and about 5-10 min walk from Pike's Market. The decor was also very nice and modern at the hotel... and I think more hotels should be doing the laminate flooring, as it was so clean! Who knows what could be found in the hotel carpets found at most hotels!! The beds were also nice pillow tops, and I liked the showers, keurig and the bottled water left in the rooms was a nice touch! The room also had a safe that could probably fit a 15in. laptop, and it had umbrella's for the rainy days. Parking is available under the hotel for $15/day, also if you have a car. Also, their wireless may need some work as it was sort of slow, and kept disconnecting no matter what device we used, not sure if this was because of the 5th floor room, but it wasn't as good as I expected.

If I went back to Seattle, I'd consider staying here again, but only if the price was right as the street noise was a bit much, but the location was awesome!!!

Room Tip: Away from the elevators
1 Thank RiderPrideSask

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We were very surprised at how quiet it was for downtown and next to the monorail. Loved the location. A nearby restaurant stayed open until 1 am. Walking distance to monorail, Link, Seattle Center, Pike's Place Market. Good deal for the location and quality of rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
LaceyKing, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to give a review of Hotel Five. I’m pleased to see that you really enjoyed your stay with us and our surrounding neighborhood. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Lacey King
Hotel Manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and overall it was nice. Location was pretty good. Easy walk to the Space Needle. Was a bit farther to Pike's Market, but still not bad.
Only downside was our room seemed to be a bit small. we had a large indent /concrete wall that took up a large section of our room. Not sure if it was just ours or not. They were full and could not move us. So we dealt with it just seemed tight.
We were in Seattle for a few days before taking an Alaska Cruise. It was only a few minutes from the Cruise dock which was nice on the day we left.
For the price of the room I had expected a bit more space. Again overall happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Ask about room size.
1 Thank Gary S
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My hubby and I stayed here a couple of nights before we were to leave on a cruise to Seattle. We had a very nice stay. We had driven by the hotel before our actual check in date so that we would know where it was. My hubby didn't seeem impressed. However, when we checked in and went up to our room, we were pleasantly surprised and needless to say, pleased. The room was nice. It was not overly spacious but it seemed ito serve its purpose. It had a pretty funky design. It reminded me of apartments back in New York City. The floors were hard wood. The soap, shampoo, and lotion were Tommy Bahama (quality brands). It was in a dispenser but I sure wish they had had some small bottles for me to take home. We booked the bed and breakfast package so a 25.00 dining certificate for their restaurant came with our room. Great food and service there. Cable was great. Best of all, we could walk to the Space Needle and attractions near there which saved us on cab fare. We were also within walking distance to the water front and to major malls and eateries in town such as Westlake Center. I highly recommend this hotel. They were doing renovations on the outside while we were there so it will probably look even better on the outside in the near future.

Port Alberni, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My son (13) and I are currently spending our last of 4 nights as guests of this fine hotel. We stayed in the largest room available, the Urban Suite, of which there are 4 in the hotel.
First, the positives - The staff were all excellent. Friendly, helpful and courteous. Zack went out of his way to try and find us a tv remote and brought extra ice when the freezer was out and linens for the pull-out couch. The decor of both the common areas of the hotel and the room was very fresh. The bold colours and artistic styling are nice for a change from most "beige" hotels out there. The bed was super comfortable and the linens, silk duvet, and towels were luxurious. The pull-out couch that my son slept on was the best we had ever been on, no bar across the back, just firm panels and comfortable memory foam. Room was very clean and kept to a high standard throughout our stay. Wi-Fi was excellent.
Next, the negatives - The walls ceiling are rather thin. Hallway noise was very noticeable as was shoe clicking on the hard floors in the room above us. The TV's, two large flat panels. Had poor reception and one was missing a remote which made it hard for us to watch different shows in the two rooms. The staff tried to find one for us, but came up empty. One of the TV's only got about 20 channels and 10 of them were snowy. Thin LCD screens are nice, but if the picture is crappy...what's the point?
Finally, some suggestions - There is a standard water conservation card in the room which says towels left on the floor will be changed, however, there is nowhere else to leave them since there are no hooks, rods, or bars in the entire suite. Putting some up in the bathroom would also provide the ability to hang up robes, PJ's etc. There are no ice machines, just freezer chests with small bags of ice in them (sometimes) on the 2nd and 4th floors. These were often empty. The need for ice would not have been so great if there were small fridges installed in the rooms. There was plenty of space for one. Cold beverages, milk, snacks are great while vacationing and without a restaurant on site after 1:30pm would be greatly appreciated. A previous reviewer commented on the lack of proper coffee cups in the room and I totally agree. Paper cups suck. This is also, the first hotel I have ever stayed in that did not have glasses of any kind in the room other than the paper coffee cups, not even in the bathroom...strange. This last item may be just particular to this suite (225) but the hot and cold taps on both sinks are reversed. They are not labeled and the hot is on the right and the cold on the left. Shocked myself a couple of times with hot water when I wanted cold.
Overall, it was a great stay and it's easy to tell the hotel is still making improvements. We will most likely come back.

Room Tip: There is one Urban Suite per floor and they are located near the elevators, soda machines and ice ch...
2 Thank escalus
LaceyKing, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed review. I'm please that you and your son enjoyed Hotel Five so much! We are continuing to make improvements to the guest rooms, a few of which you have mentioned, towel hooks in the bathroom and ceramic coffee mugs are on the way. We have recently started using the ice chests with pre-bagged ice instead of noisy ice machines in the hallway, we are still learning the correct number of bags to keep them stocked at all times. I happy you enjoyed the pull out sofa with the memory foam mattress and our bold decor.
We look forward to welcoming you both back to Seattle soon.
Lacey King
Hotel Manager
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night prior to taking an Alaskan cruise. The decor was modern , our room was a little small but clean and all the necessary amenities, The free Wi Fi was a bonus. The restaurant had excellent food and the waitress who worked Saturday morning was friendly and attentive. There was a mix up with my reservation ( It was probably my fault) and Jason Dooley fixed it on the spot. Jason was working at the front desk and was very helpful with directions and even suggested that we visit the EMP near Space Needle. The EMP was fun and educational. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: I did not see a pool or spa. I could not undo the rating on the pool or spa.
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2012

If you can get it on priceline etc then your probably getting an ok deal. I paid "full price" and I've stayed at better places for less money. You also get charged $15 a day to park your car in a dark cramped parking garage. it's about a 8-10 block walk to Pikes Market and close to monorail and space needle--walking distance. Area was decently safe-no problems. They are updating the outside so you have to dodge workers, equipment etc. no pool very small gym area.