“Not bad”

Ranked #27 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Twin Cities, USA
“Not bad”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Was in town on business.

2nd time in this property.

Enjoyed it enough the first time to try spending 4 nights in this hotel.

Bed was firm.
Free wi-fi was slow.
Cafe had limited hours. 7am-1pm I believe. Never had the chance to eat at it.
Parking is an tight underground garage. My rental Focus had a hard time with it.
Walking distance to area attractions was nice. A few blocks to a restaurant.

Not a bad hotel. If you are staying for a couple of nights to take in the Seattle attractions, not a bad location.

Room Tip: The rooms on the "north" side are quieter due to no monorail noise. Palace restaurant dow...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Brian P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Hotel Five was great. The rooms are abit small, but thats what you expect with a boutique hotel.

You will need to walk abit to get to the main bus route (3rd Ave) but the hotel itself was perfect.
The added breakfast was great too! Mckenzie was also very helpful in booking the room.

Overall a great little boutique gem in Seattle...sure it does try alittle too hard to be trendy and the toilets are insanely strong when they flush..but who cares?

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms kinda suck because you stare right at the monorail
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jcarrh
, General Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you taking the time to complete a review of your stay with us!

We're delighted and proud that our very own Makenzie made your stay memorable. She and her team members are the main reason for our hotel's success. Thank you for pointing out her contribution.

We're glad our hotel was convenient for your visit and are delighted that you enjoyed the restaurant. If you haven't tried it already, we highly recommend the Chicken Waffle Sandwich. Yes. Chicken and Waffles together, in a sandwich. Consider it a Pineapple Tip!

We look forward to welcoming you soon!

Kelowna
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I carefully researched Seattle hotels for a five day road trip that my son & I took Seattle. Hotel 5 looked to be a trendy, clean hotel in a great location at a super price. It completely delivered and we will definitely be back.

We (my 14 y.o. son & I) chose to stay in a double queen with Space Needle view room. By booking through the hotel's website we were able to take advantage of a special rate of $135/night (+ taxes) + $25 restaurant credit, better than any other deal I could find on any other travel site. The room was very clean and exactly as pictured on their website. The pillows and towels were fluffy, designer toiletries supplied and a fully stocked Kuerig machine provided (along with 2 bottles of water daily). The room also had the expected amenties of a flat-screen tv, in-room safe, umbrella, chair with reading lamp, etc. All was clean and in good repair. I found the bed very comfortable.

The lobby was set up nicely with plenty of seating, a large flat-screen tv, a computer with free internet access, and a Starbuck supplied coffee machine. Cupcakes were put out daily. I was hoping for a variety of flavours but qucikly clued in that pineapple was the theme of the hotel ;) The staff was very firendly. We ate at the restaurant once. It was servicable, but not really our style - the service was friendly but on the slow side.

The outside of the hotel was being painted during our visit, therefore there was scaffolding around the building; it was a bit awkward but not much of an incovenience. As a great surprise, we learned upon check-out that the hotel had waived our on-site parking fees (a great deal at $15/day) to compensate for the upheaval to the exterior of the building. This was done unsolicited by us - it was a class move by the hotel that I very much appreciated!

The hotel is perfectly situated, a five minute walk to the Space Needle, EMP, Museum, Monorail and Seattle Center, ten minute walk the other direction got us to the center of Pike Place market and the shopping area. We walked down to 2nd Avenue and found a couple of trendy eateries that we enoyed, again a five minute walk from the hotel. As a single woman with a teen, I felt very safe here and that is very important to me.

I would 100% unreservedly recommend this hotel and intend to return as soon as we can :)

Room Tip: A Space Needle view room is on the quieter side of the building, overlooking neighbouring office bui...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank tracesterj
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Five for two nights at the end of June while visiting family in Seattle. We got a good deal on the room ($115) and had stayed at another Pineapple property before, so we were excited to stay there.

I happen to overhear the manager telling a group of official visitors (investors? hospitality industry colleagues? who knows) that they were very proud of the design and had given the artist/designer free reign.

Therein lies the problem.

It is trying so terribly hard to be hip, it misses the point. They clearly wanted bold, young, energetic, street-smart. What they got what was cliché, unfocused, and tacky. I'm all for the unusual and surprising, but all of it is so in-your-face that it became tiresome quite quickly. The window shades are screen printed with "hotel five" all over them, and there are lacquer-like paintings that seem to want to be some combination of grafitti and photographs of mechanical apparatus. They felt mass-produced in China. The room doors are smears of bright paint colors (printed--not actually smeared) and the numbers on the doors are so unreadable someone thought they had better have a second set of numbers so that guests could locate their rooms. Did I mention the red walls? All in all, not so relaxing. Whoever the artist was, he or she was so enamored of his/her concept (whatever it was...), that the experience of the guest seemed beside the point.

Other downsides?
When you flush the toilet, it sounds like you're 35,000 feet in the air and might get sucked into the stratosphere.
The glass shower door doesn't have a stopper on it, so if it closes too quickly, it makes a very big (and distressing) noise.
The double-glazing on the windows softens but certainly does not mute the sound of trucks on fifth avenue or the monorail going by.

But there are positives...

While my husband didn't, I found the bed quite comfortable. The sheets and towels were quite lux (though the Tommy Bahama toiletries---in pumps adhered to the wall---seemed a bit cheap).

The room layout was very good, even for the small space (we were in a queen room).

There is a little coffee maker and bottles of water that are replenished each day. And they provide you with an umbrella to use, and the safe is large enough for a laptop.

The staff, for the most part, was attentive and problem-solving. However, when we checked in, I asked if we had been given a quiet room, and he said, yes, though it was near the elevator and on the side with the monorail. If we wanted to change, we could ask. Why he didn't just give us a much quieter room to begin with, I don't understand. It was VERY loud across from the elevators and as I said, the traffic and monorail was quite perceptible.

We were given a $25 voucher to eat in the restaurant, but there wasn't really enough choice for breakfast and we weren't going to come back during the day for lunch, so we just didn't use it.

If you can get a good deal, and you can overlook the hipster-on-steroids factor, then it's recommended. Seattle hotels seem expensive and this is a decent option.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in a room opposite the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your point of view about our hotel's design. It definitely is bold and appears to not be to everyone's liking. Thank you for the kind remarks about our staff. If you would like to try us again, when your travels bring you back, I'd love to personally assure a quieter rooms for you facing our courtyard. (mbaumann@staypineapple.com) Being in downtown, we understand that street noise is inevitable, but always try to accommodate our guest requests.

We're also disappointed that our breakfast and lunch menus did not provide the variety you were seeking. We will continue to explore ways to broaden our fresh offerings.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer your feedback. We grow from all perspectives and thank you for yours!

Fort Myers, FL
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We spent two days at the Hotel Five Seattle. We rode the light rail in from the airport and easily walked the few blocks from the Westlake station to the hotel. We were greeted and checked in very quickly. The room was comfortable and spacious. We had a view of the space needle from our window. The decor was bright and different, we kind of liked something different and new. We enjoyed the Tommy Bahama products. We did not have a car. We used the Light Rail to go to a Mariners game, it was convenient and safe. We also rode the monorail to the Space Needle. The reception desk stowed our luggage for us while we waited for a ride to the cruise terminal. They also called and secured our taxi for that trip. We did not eat at the hotel so can't speak to that. This hotel fit our needs to a tee, and we would stay there again.

milford, CT
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We chose the hotel for it's central location, price special, and reviews, but were a little concerned that we wouldn't care for the decor.
We were very pleasantly surprised. The htel is very attractive, good breakfast restaurant, excellent service and amenities. It's about 5 blocks from where the Light Railroad from the airport ends, so very convenient, and within walking distance of most attractions.

Room Tip: The back of the building is quieter.
1 Thank vinniedog20
, General Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your review!

We're delighted that your travels brought you to Seattle and that your research brought you to our hotel! We hope to welcome you back in the not-so-distant-future!

In the meantime, all the very best!

Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I am writing this as I check out after 2 nights in a 2 queen room. i come to Seattle about 3 - 4 times a year and am still looking for my home away from home and this hotel is almost but not quite

Location and Parking -5 - Location is excellent with monorail and transit right outside the front door, 10 minute walk to Pike Place Market and 10 minutee walk in opposite direction to Seattle Centre (which is Science Center and Space needle)

Rooms - 4 - are an adequate size and impeccably clean, the decor is just bright enough to be cheerful but not overwhelming - I do wish you had an inbetween from wide open window and blackout blinds as you either allow people to look directly into your room or you have to shut out all natural light

Beds - 3 - I found the bed too hard and the coverlet felt unwashed to me. I asked for a mattress topper however they don't carry them. Pillows were great - big fluffy and four of them :)

Bathroom - 3 is lovely and clean. I really loved the soothing grey walls, white tile and green glass and the rainhead shower. I was very disappointed when I ran a bath to realize that the tub which looks liks a soaker tub is in fact only about 6 inches deep :( . Shower curtain is too short and water floods the floor in the shower. Soap and shampoo dispensers are excellent and waste free with Tommy Bahama products but they missed out on little things lke towel hooks and cotton swabs

Other Amenities - 3 - they thought of many conveniences - a hairdryer, an umbrella, an ironing board and iron and an in room safe as well as a Keurig coffee machine, which is great but not in a paper cup. There was no glassware - no water glasses or coffee mugs - only paper cups and for a "green" hotel I was disappointed. I hate paper cups.

Max's Restaurant - 5 open until 7:30am - 1:30pm - can order breakfast or lunch during this time and we ate there both mornings. Service was top notch and so was the food. Very few places can cook an omelette perfectly (IMO) and mine was perfect - eggs just cooked not scorched. Lovely and I would highly recommend this place to start your day - reasonable prices as well - my 5 cheese omelette was about $9

Front Desk staff and housekeeping - 4 - super friendly and made check in easy. Our reservation was mixed up and we had only one queen bed which I said would not do for my son and I to share (lol) so he upgraded us and waived the upgrade charge. I did not like housekeeping knocking on my door at 8:15am - maybe they could have a list of early checkouts so they don't wake people on holidays. As I said earlier - the rooms were impeccably clean

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DebiHarp
Thank you for taking the time to detail your experiences during your stay. We appreciate the care and thought you put into your review!

Thank you for pointing out the service of our staff, it really makes them feel good to have their hard work recognized by our guests! We will pass on your kudos to the team.

We agree with you about the missing cups and glasses.... we hate paper cups too! As I type, our ceramic mugs and glassware are steaming toward Seattle on a freighter! We look forward to our guests enjoying a hot cup of coffee in their room, from a ceramic mug rather than cardboard!

Thanks again for takign the time to address your observations. We really appreciate it!
We hope to welcome you again.