“Great Room in Good Location...but a couple issues...”

Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #27 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Kreskin2207
“Great Room in Good Location...but a couple issues...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Checked in late but was greeted promptly upon entry into the lobby and check-in was a breeze! I chose this hotel based on great reviews, location to downtown, and most importantly gratis wifi. I went up to my room which was a good size, with hardwood floors excellent lighting, and a great spacious bathroom with stand-up shower. The room has a very modern feel and the bed was very comfortable with out of this world pillows. A couple downsides to the room - it was overlooking the street which has the above ground rail line and a lovely view of the less desirables sleeping on the opposite sidewalk. I didn't hear a lot of street noise or the rail but I'm a sound sleeper and had a cross country flight, so others might have an issue. While the room was clean enough to my standards, there were some hairs in the sink and hanging off the newly folded hand towel by the sink. Those kind of things don't bother me, but again, they might others. The rest of the room was very very clean though, looked very new, and had ample power outlets, a Kuerig coffeemaker, iron, and even a big umbrella for use during your stay. My main complaint came when I tried to log onto the internet to do some work; this was a business trip afterall. No dice. I got connected, but the bandwidth was so slow that I couldn't load a single page. After 30 mintues I finally gave up. So much for the gratis wifi. One other issue I had was the back upper parking lot was a bit dark. I checked in pretty late and while I didn't feel uncomfortable I would have expected a little more light in the area for safety (parking is $15/day by the way.) All in all I loved the hotel. I thought it was hip, modern, perfect location downtown within a short walk to many attractions and restuarants, and despite all my points I'd give them another try.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kreskin2207

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Hotel was great! Good location, super friendly staff, personal coffee maker in each room. They let us check in early (at 12 instead of 3) and you had free cupcakes in the evening. The room was small but cozy and had cable as well as everything you need. The hotel is small but it has everything you need and is right next to the space needle. There is also a Top Pot donuts a block away along with a liquor store and some good restaurants. For the value this cant be beat.

Room Tip: Request a view of the space needle!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank giabee
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

The hotel is beautiful, different, and more home like than hotel. The staff were all very nice and helpful in many ways. If you ask...its done.

Nice free extras were the daily bottles of water ($1.50 to $2.50 at other hotels I have been to) and the coffee's and tea's. The free shampoo/ conditioner/ shower gel and lotions were all finer quality than most hotels and were in dispensers instead of little bottles, this is a plus for those of us who hate those little caps. The bathroom had a rain shower head with water pressure!!! The toilet and tub were in a little bit of a separated area. The other area had a beautiful sink on one side and a great stand on the other that you could put your clothes on. They have a normal hairdryer, not one attached to the wall, an iron and ironing board, and the thickest, softest towels and wash clothes I have ever had in a hotel (or at my house!)

We were in room 230 and it was very quiet even though we were right over the parking lot and beside the rail train. I heard no outside noise at all. The beds were very comfortable. When you got into them it was like they hugged you but had great support. The bedding was very soft. The TV was a bright and clear flat screen that included 37 channels of Direct TV including Showtime. A relaxing chair with footstool was in the room and made it more home like. The deco was a refreshing change from most hotels. The included WiFi was fast and easy...no signing in every time you shut down. The alarm clock was one you could hook your Ipod touch into if you liked, was accurate, and the alarm was one that started soft and built in volume so you woke up gradually not startled.

We had one issue with the hotel and was taken care of right away. The A/C was working but not properly and would come on for 1 minute then shut off for 20 minutes. It made for a stuffy room. We thought it was its normal operation so didn't say anything until the morning and just suffered through the night. They had it fixed by the time we returned from our days outing. Had we mentioned it right away I am sure they would have had it fixed in minutes.

We ate at the restaurant the second day and had some issues. Just a bad day for them maybe but the steak sandwich my husband ordered had to be sent back 3 times due to them not cooking it completely (He ordered medium well and it came to him rare, then medium rare, then medium before the last time coming to him medium well) and the omelet I had ended up making me ill. The server apologized profusely but its just one of those things. NOTE: The cheese steak is not the thinly sliced beef kind of Cheese steak. It is a steak on a roll with cheese.

Area-
We easily walked to dining, Pikes Market, Museums, and Space Needle. NOTE: The rail is right next to the hotel but you can not get on it there. It only stops at the space needle and downtown, so you would need to walk the 4 blocks to the space needle to catch it to go downtown. We walked from the hotel to the underground buses, then from Smith tower to Pikes Market, then to Gameworks, and back to the hotel with ease...but I was tired after that day.

It would be possible if you are able bodied, not in a hurry, and dont have a lot of luggage... to walk to the underground airport train. Its about 5 blocks. Take note that the people of Washington think walking distance is 3/4 mile to 1 mile when they tell you "yes, it is in walking distance" and that some of the sidewalks in Seattle are very hilly.

I have photos of the hotel inside and out but it will not let me post them here (MAC) so just ask and I will send

Room Tip: 2nd floor space needle view was quiet and had a view of the needle midway up to the top. Higher up w...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Maume
Salem, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

Arrived in seattle early, staff were great and let us check in 2.5 hours early. Stayed on the second floor, immediately hit in the face with over powering fresh paint smell when we came off the elevator. The ice machine/snack/soda area was empty the machines MIA. Had to go to another floor to find them. Just to find out that the soda machine was out of diet drinks. We had a king bed that was really comfortable but the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor from the bottom of the door. There were a few scratches and scrapes in the paint. Not just on the wall but on the ceiling, found that a bit odd. For the over 200 dollars paid by the time you included all taxes I expected a bit more in amenities. The concept is great, but next time we are in seattle we will be trying a different hotel.

Room Tip: we were on the end without a view and got a little road noise. Try to get one facing the Monorail.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank babykaruk
LaceyKing, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We were doing some touch up painting in some of the rooms last week so I apologize that the smell was a bit strong that afternoon. As you noticed in your room the walls can get a few scratches from time to time so we try our best to keep them under control. I'm glad you commented on the "empty vending area" we have ordered an ice cooler for this space as opposed to a noisy ice machine. The ice cooler should be here shortly and will be filled with pre bagged ice for your convenience. So no more noisy ice machines to keep you up at night!
Also if you’re looking for travel deals keep an eye on our web page, I know there are some fun and exciting things coming up this summer!

Lacey King
Hotel Manager
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

This hotel is comfortable, but I'm not sure the decor will be to everyones taste! The rooms are very bright and airy and the bathrooms are good. It is within walking distance of the space needle and the staff were friendly and helpful. We did find it a bit noisy though. There is no carpet on the floors - they are all wood - and the person upstairs to us walked about in very noisy high heels!! There was also a group of teenage girls on our floor who woke us up at 2 am, so we didn't get much sleep.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank susankt99
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Purchased a Groupon, which included a coupon for $25 towards food at Hotel Five! Was NOT disappointed. Hotel was great for access to downtown Seattle, the staff were friendly, helpful and approachable. Room was comfortable with a modern, funky design and our room had a view of the Space Needle. Breakfast was good as was the choice. Only hiccup, was in the early hours of Saturday morning, we did hear some "loud talking" for about 20 minutes. Not sure if it was other guests of changeover of staff! After a day pounding the streets of Seattle, we were too tired to complain! Overall, a great weekend exploring Seattle. Would definitely stay at Hotel Five again :o)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Space Needle.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dena G
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

After readaing varied reviews on this hotel I decided to stay here anyway. Although there was some city noise that came through the windows this hotel was very modern and clean. You could see its a reno of an older hotel but really funky and not your usual stock standard boring business hotel which was refreshing. The rooms were extremely comfortable and bathrooms large and modern. The down town location was perfect both for my meetings and places like Pike Pl Mkts and the Space Needle area. Both less than five mins walk. I would stay here again. Also thanks for the upgrade.

Room Tip: I had a king room not sure what other rooms were like.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business