“Old Hotel. Cheap Remodel”

Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #28 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Seattle, WA
“Old Hotel. Cheap Remodel”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stayed here based on the photos they advertised. First the room was small. They advertised large for seattle; it's not. Second, the room was set up with "ikea" style dorm furniture. The place just received a very cheap remodel and the entire hotel smells of paint. The floors are a cheap hard laminate that is supposed to look like wood. The result is that sound carries very well. I heard doors slamming all night. It is not near the market, it is a 10 min walk. The space needle is about 6 min walk.

They requested a card for incidentals. It's been two weeks and the hold has not dropped off. I called and was told by the desk clerk that her manager would take care of it. The manager did not. I emailed the hotel and got no reply. I called my Credit Card company and was told that because I used a prepaid debit card that it would take 30 days. There are much better hotels for the money. Rip off.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tarrega
LaceyKing, Manager at Hotel FIVE - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are concerned that your stay did not meet your expectations. The dramatic renovation of our guest rooms will be complete by the end of March. We hope to be able to welcome you back then.

As a rule, we advise all our arriving visitors about the inconvenience caused to our guests when presenting a debit card at checkin. Once we release the hold in our system, we're at the mercy of the issuing bank to release the funds to you. We're sorry that the pre-paid debit card you used is taking long to release the unused funds. However, we would like to call them again, with your permission, to assist in speeding up their process.

I would like to extend my direct number: 206-770-7142. Please contact me at your leisure and we will do our utmost to assist. Thanks again for your feedback.

Lacey King
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Excellent hotel! Clean, courteous service, super comfortable bed--including pillows, linens and not just the mattress--and bright, contemporary decor. It's centrally located in the downtown. And they allowed our dog. Unfortunately, for a small fee, but at least he was welcome!

Room Tip: Inquire into AAA/CAA discount.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank P A
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The level of customer service provided by staff at the Five surpassed my expectations. They went above and beyond at very opportunity. The rooms were very clean and the bathrooms were very modern. The hardwood-like floors throughout the room was also a nice touch. The hotel was very central and within walking distance of whatever you need, including a liquor store. The only complaint I have is that the walls were a little thin and you could here people talking in the hallway. We come to Seattle every 1-2 months and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tasha K
Portland, OR
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I recently booked two nights at this hotel. It was an amazing spot for a tourist. The rooms were nice, products were great (coffee, shampoo, lotion, bodywash, etc.) and all around a great place to stay. The staff were very nice and attentive. The little cupcakes at check-in? Oh yeah...

It is in the middle of EVERYTHING. Perfect for a weekend stay. You can easily walk to The Space Needle, EMP, Science Museum, Pike Place Market, The Seattle Aquarium and countless other great places. EASY access to public transit.

As other reviewers have stated, the hotel is under construction. We were there two nights and didn't hear a sound.

We'll be back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank NWguy219
Madera, California
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I booked this hotel last week, literally the night before I was traveling to Seatlle, I was impressed that they had the availability in the room I wanted, and how reasonable the price was, originally I booked only one night, but ended up staying a second night. The location is literally in the middle of downtown just off the main drag, and the monorail runs next the the hotel. I must say I was happy with my choice, the staff was awesome and very friendly, and to add, the cafe down stairs has great american homey food. I Will definently stay here next trip to seatlle.

Room Tip: the rooms are carpet free! its the fake hard wood and its great!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank James M
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have stayed at hotel five on 3 trips in the last 6 months. This is usually the lowest priced mid range hotel in downtown. If you can find the 3rd night free promotion it's the best deal in town for a mid range hotel. I will be back with the 3rd night free promotion.

Pros: close to everything downtown, a short walk from the bus tunnel, very clean, updated rooms, great rates, free internet, friendly staff.

Cons: it can be loud - thin walls & noise in the hallway can be heard in your room. Small excercise area.

As others have noted the hotel is remodeling, but only once did noise bother me. This was due to the fact that the walls are thin more than construction.

Overall, it's a great mid priced downtown hotel. Don't miss Top Pot next door -- it's a must for any Seattle visitor!!!!

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank Broadbandcowboy
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband for a couple nights back in November. The pros: rate was good (booked on-line at hotel website), location was in Belltown (next to Top Pot Donuts and easy walking to downtown Seattle) and hotel and my room was nicely renovated.

Note that the hotel is renovated, not new. As such, there are a few things that seemed old such as the heating unit. It was noisy (but not bothersome to me). Also, there is free water, coffee and wifi in the room. One other thing is that the bathroom noices were very audible in the next room. A better door/fan system would be appreciated.

Overall, this is a good hotel and a good price and I would stay here again.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple