“Great place to stay for people under stress.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Nexus Seattle

Hotel Nexus Seattle
Ranked #73 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Port Angeles, Washington, United States
“Great place to stay for people under stress.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I'm from a 1 stoplight town, and had to spend a month here in Seattle due to a family member having a medical emergency. It was an incredibly stressful time, and I had no idea how to drive in this town, or where to stay when I got here.

The hospital gave me a list of recommended hotels that had hospital discounts. I choose the Nexus originally because, not only did it have a great discounted price, but also free shuttle service and complimentary breakfast in the morning. After I got here I found out it also had complimentary laundry and a small, but a rather nice gym.

The rooms were quite nice, with microwaves coffeepot, and a small fridge. I also heard from other people staying there that there were also rooms with full kitchens. I had the small fridge -- which was very useful for my extended stay.

The breakfast changed daily, and was not your usual bagels and donuts. We had everything from biscuits and gravy, to bacon and eggs. And bagels, danishes, waffles, juices, coffee and milk and cereal were always part of the spread.

But what sold me on the place was the people. They have some of the kindest people on Earth working for them. And it's a tough job, dealing with people struggling with someone they love in the hospital. They were always courteous, particularly the drivers, who would give you a shoulder to cry on, if you needed it.

I'm going home tomorrow. Yay! But I intend to stay here again soon. For a non-medical related trip, to see the sights. And I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Resa C
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Resa C:

Thank you so much for staying at the Hotel Nexus and reviewing us on TripAdvisor! I'm sorry you had to travel to Seattle for medical reasons but happy you choose our hotel. Our guests find that our breakfasts, shuttles, and Wi-Fi make us a tremendous value for a Seattle Hotel. By far what I'm most proud of is our employees, how they give the "Nexus Touch" of hospitality to each and every guest. Our home is your home!

I wish your family member a speedy recover and look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the near future. And once again, thank you for choosing the Hotel Nexus.

Michelle Caruso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Helena, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Hotel Nexus was a lower quality hotel that has been upgraded and updated up to appeal to budget travelers who want good customer service, clean rooms and proximity to their destination. If that's what you're looking for I can recommend this hotel. The rates, the staff and proximity to local world-class hospitals are a big plus. A good breakfast buffet is also included. Perhaps the biggest asset is the frequent free shuttles to just about anywhere you want to go in Seattle except the airport. Down side: water that may scald you, clock radios that you can't read and a good standard for clean, but not the highest. I was also a bit surprised that they solicited Trip Advisor reviews as I've never been asked to do so. I'd give the place a rating of 3.5 to 3.75 not 4.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear David S:

Thank you so very much for staying at the Hotel Nexus and reviewing your stay on TripAdvisor. What you pointed out about excellent customer service, room cleanliness, ample breakfast and complimentary shuttle are the most recognized and utilized amenities by our guests. We have heart, character and charm along with giving the "Nexus touch" of hospitality to each and every one of our guests.

I hope you had an enjoyable stay in Seattle and the Hotel Nexus and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Manitou Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I spent two nights at the Nexus and was perfectly satisfied. The staff at check-in was efficient, courteous, and happy to engage in conversation. I did not spend any time in the lobby area during my stay but it seems welcoming, with bright colors and a retro feel to the furniture.

My clean and spacious room was on the 2nd floor, on the backside of the hotel. You get to the room by walking down an exterior walkway that overlooks a parking lot and relatively quiet residential street (much better than rooms on the frontside, which faces the the very busy Northgate Way). The bed was firm and comfortable and the only significant noise was from inconsiderate guests who feel that it's perfectly fine to have loud conversations in the middle of the night as they walk to their rooms.

The free breakfast is OK, just what I expect from a budget hotel. Starbucks is across the street if you need better coffee ;-)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear ol_blue:

Thank you so very much for choosing the Hotel Nexus and reviewing us on TripAdvisor! It is very gratifying to read about our courteous and engaging employees - we take such pride in the service they provide. Many of the reasons travelers choose us are for our updated rooms, convenient location, 24 hour fitness center, complimentary Wi-Fi, complimentary hot breakfast and for shuttles to area hospitals and local attractions.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest at the Hotel Nexus and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the near future!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

My mum, wife and I stayed in two rooms at Hotel Nexus in the middle of October.

The hotel is perfectly located for the mall and the rapid bus service into Seattle.The rooms were clean and adequate for our needs. The breakfast room needs to be expanded. As someone who works with adults in wheelchairs, I found the breakfast room to be not very wheelchair accessible. They could expand the room into the workout room, which was not being used, at any time I passed it. It was hard to predict when to go for breakfast, as most of the time the room was crowded. There was a good variety of food, including scrambled eggs and waffles.

The visit was marred by a couple of problems. Due to some sort of mix up, the hotel cleaners decided that we were checking out the night after we had checked in, despite us supposed to be in the rooms for another two evenings. As a result, the milk and soft drinks we had in the fridge disappeared. When I went to complain, hotel staff said to go and buy more and then I got reimbursed, which was fine. People make mistakes, we are not perfect.

The second problem, however, was not resolved during our visit. I think we had a ghost in our bathroom, as at least once an hour during the night, the cistern of our toilet would mysteriously fill with more water, even though we had not flushed the toilet. I reported it to reception on our second day, and hotel staff said it was fixed, but the following night the ghost returned. As I could not be bothered reporting it a second time, the ghost stayed in the room until we left. You never know it may still be there.

While I would stay there again, I think I would wait until they did something with the breakfast room.

Room Tip: If you do not want the noise from the main street, ask for a room round the back.Passing ambulances...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank uktechwizard
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear uktechwizard:

Thank you so much for staying and rating the Hotel Nexus on TripAdvisor. As noted, we are conveniently located for bus transit and also offer a complimentary shuttle to downtown, hospitals and major attractions. My apologies for your items being removed from your refrigerator, I'm glad my staff promptly paid for their replacement. We are currently looking at a different set-up and menu for our complimentary breakfast - this should be done in the near future.

Thank you again for choosing the Hotel Nexus and we hope to serve you again in the near future!

Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I'm a fan of hotels that are refurbished from other kinds of buildings, like banks or even old bad hotels/motels. Kimpton has this formula down, turning shabby into shabby chic, adding a great restaurant and even quirky things like a goldfish in your room. That's what I was expecting of Hotel Nexus, with its 1950s colors and retro lobby. What a disappointment! At check-in, the two people at the desk took phone calls rather than check in the live people standing there. A manager or someone rushed in and started a discussion about who had moved her business cards. My company credit card wasn't on file, or the woman checking me in couldn't figure out the codes. Then I went off to my really tired room, with a bathroom that looks like a bad 1960s one, a weird alcove with a giant ironing board in it, water pressure so low my toothpaste spit into the sink couldn't go down the drain, gross sinkholed mattress, worn out everything. No bottled water in the room; but there was a vending machine taking up a big part of a wall near the dirty elevator. To get to this awful room, I had to take that elevator up, walk down a dim corridor, go outside, and walk down another creepy exterior walkway. I honestly did not feel totally safe on any part of this journey. The much talked about breakfast consists of instant oatmeal, a plate of orange American cheese, bad coffee, and a machine that spits out pre made batter for waffles. Happy to be checking out.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank annmariehood
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Annmariehood:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry your stay was less than you had expected. We try to make each and every guest feel welcome and hope all are satisfied with our hotel. Obvious we did not meet your expectations of being a "Kimpton" like hotel. Thank you for staying at the Hotel Nexus and best to you in the future.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We ended up at the Hotel Nexus as a result of the hotel we'd been booked into and paid for had no knowledge of our reservation! Nexus staff were so welcoming and helpful; Matt gave us an upgrade to help make up for the experience we'd had at the other hotel after 26 hours of travel. It was great to find a friendly face after that trauma! The next day Steve helped us check that all the rest of our holiday bookings would be honoured, and the the free shuttle downtown was a great bonus.
Thanks go to Matt & Steve for turning what could have been a disaster for the 1st 2 nights of our trip into a wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amazinamanda
Dear amazinamanda:

Thank you very much for reviewing the Hotel Nexus on TripAdvisor. I'm so happy that your unpleasant experience at another hotel was our gain of an amazing guest! I'm so happy we were able to accommodate you and that you had a great trip to Seattle. Our location, complimentary breakfast, Wi-Fi, laundry and fitness room are just some of the reasons guest choose to stay with us. But the most utilized complimentary amenity by far is our shuttles which go to many attractions, hospitals and downtown Seattle.

But the greatest asset we have are our employees with Matt and Steve leading our front desk staff. Thank you very much for choosing the Hotel Nexus and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Newberg, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I just got back home from staying at the Hotel Nexus in Seattle. I was there for a 1/2 Marathon. The staff was so warm and friendly. When I checked in they asked why I was in town and I happily told them what I was planning to do. They were impressed! What was even better is that they remembered the next day after the Marathon to ask me how it went!! That meant so much to me. Every person on that staff was great! Especially Sara at the front desk! The rooms are super clean! The beds are comfy! The hotel is super close to the freeway in a safe part of Seattle!! I will be staying there again when I go to Seattle!!!

Room Tip: I recomend the back side of the hotel. That way you won't hear too much traffic.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ali J:

Thank you very much for reviewing the Hotel Nexus on TripAdvisor. Congratulations on completing the half-marathon, what an accomplishment! I was so pleased to read you liked our rooms and our new bedding packages are great! We are preferred by many guests for our convenient location near I-5 and our complimentary shuttles to the city and nearby attractions. But most of all, thank you very much for recognizing our fantastic staff! We try to go the extra mile and give each and every one of our guests the "Nexus touch" of service.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future at the Hotel Nexus!