“The ghost in the bathroom”

Hotel Nexus Seattle
Ranked #70 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My mum, wife and I stayed in two rooms at Hotel Nexus in the middle of October.

The hotel is perfectly located for the mall and the rapid bus service into Seattle.The rooms were clean and adequate for our needs. The breakfast room needs to be expanded. As someone who works with adults in wheelchairs, I found the breakfast room to be not very wheelchair accessible. They could expand the room into the workout room, which was not being used, at any time I passed it. It was hard to predict when to go for breakfast, as most of the time the room was crowded. There was a good variety of food, including scrambled eggs and waffles.

The visit was marred by a couple of problems. Due to some sort of mix up, the hotel cleaners decided that we were checking out the night after we had checked in, despite us supposed to be in the rooms for another two evenings. As a result, the milk and soft drinks we had in the fridge disappeared. When I went to complain, hotel staff said to go and buy more and then I got reimbursed, which was fine. People make mistakes, we are not perfect.

The second problem, however, was not resolved during our visit. I think we had a ghost in our bathroom, as at least once an hour during the night, the cistern of our toilet would mysteriously fill with more water, even though we had not flushed the toilet. I reported it to reception on our second day, and hotel staff said it was fixed, but the following night the ghost returned. As I could not be bothered reporting it a second time, the ghost stayed in the room until we left. You never know it may still be there.

While I would stay there again, I think I would wait until they did something with the breakfast room.

Room Tip: If you do not want the noise from the main street, ask for a room round the back.Passing ambulances...
1  Thank uktechwizard
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear uktechwizard:

Thank you so much for staying and rating the Hotel Nexus on TripAdvisor. As noted, we are conveniently located for bus transit and also offer a complimentary shuttle to downtown, hospitals and major attractions. My apologies for your items being removed from your refrigerator, I'm glad my staff promptly paid for their replacement. We are currently looking at a different set-up and menu for our complimentary breakfast - this should be done in the near future.

Thank you again for choosing the Hotel Nexus and we hope to serve you again in the near future!

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I'm a fan of hotels that are refurbished from other kinds of buildings, like banks or even old bad hotels/motels. Kimpton has this formula down, turning shabby into shabby chic, adding a great restaurant and even quirky things like a goldfish in your room. That's what I was expecting of Hotel Nexus, with its 1950s colors and retro lobby. What a disappointment! At check-in, the two people at the desk took phone calls rather than check in the live people standing there. A manager or someone rushed in and started a discussion about who had moved her business cards. My company credit card wasn't on file, or the woman checking me in couldn't figure out the codes. Then I went off to my really tired room, with a bathroom that looks like a bad 1960s one, a weird alcove with a giant ironing board in it, water pressure so low my toothpaste spit into the sink couldn't go down the drain, gross sinkholed mattress, worn out everything. No bottled water in the room; but there was a vending machine taking up a big part of a wall near the dirty elevator. To get to this awful room, I had to take that elevator up, walk down a dim corridor, go outside, and walk down another creepy exterior walkway. I honestly did not feel totally safe on any part of this journey. The much talked about breakfast consists of instant oatmeal, a plate of orange American cheese, bad coffee, and a machine that spits out pre made batter for waffles. Happy to be checking out.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank annmariehood
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Annmariehood:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry your stay was less than you had expected. We try to make each and every guest feel welcome and hope all are satisfied with our hotel. Obvious we did not meet your expectations of being a "Kimpton" like hotel. Thank you for staying at the Hotel Nexus and best to you in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We ended up at the Hotel Nexus as a result of the hotel we'd been booked into and paid for had no knowledge of our reservation! Nexus staff were so welcoming and helpful; Matt gave us an upgrade to help make up for the experience we'd had at the other hotel after 26 hours of travel. It was great to find a friendly face after that trauma! The next day Steve helped us check that all the rest of our holiday bookings would be honoured, and the the free shuttle downtown was a great bonus.
Thanks go to Matt & Steve for turning what could have been a disaster for the 1st 2 nights of our trip into a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amazinamanda

Dear amazinamanda:

Thank you very much for reviewing the Hotel Nexus on TripAdvisor. I'm so happy that your unpleasant experience at another hotel was our gain of an amazing guest! I'm so happy we were able to accommodate you and that you had a great trip to Seattle. Our location, complimentary breakfast, Wi-Fi, laundry and fitness room are just some of the reasons guest choose to stay with us. But the most utilized complimentary amenity by far is our shuttles which go to many attractions, hospitals and downtown Seattle.

But the greatest asset we have are our employees with Matt and Steve leading our front desk staff. Thank you very much for choosing the Hotel Nexus and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I just got back home from staying at the Hotel Nexus in Seattle. I was there for a 1/2 Marathon. The staff was so warm and friendly. When I checked in they asked why I was in town and I happily told them what I was planning to do. They were impressed! What was even better is that they remembered the next day after the Marathon to ask me how it went!! That meant so much to me. Every person on that staff was great! Especially Sara at the front desk! The rooms are super clean! The beds are comfy! The hotel is super close to the freeway in a safe part of Seattle!! I will be staying there again when I go to Seattle!!!

Room Tip: I recomend the back side of the hotel. That way you won't hear too much traffic.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Dear Ali J:

Thank you very much for reviewing the Hotel Nexus on TripAdvisor. Congratulations on completing the half-marathon, what an accomplishment! I was so pleased to read you liked our rooms and our new bedding packages are great! We are preferred by many guests for our convenient location near I-5 and our complimentary shuttles to the city and nearby attractions. But most of all, thank you very much for recognizing our fantastic staff! We try to go the extra mile and give each and every one of our guests the "Nexus touch" of service.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future at the Hotel Nexus!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed two nights with my wife and 3 teenage kids in a suite and found this hotel a great option for families with 3 kids. The living room is large and the sofa bed was apparently quite comfortable. The two queen beds were also comfortable.

This isn't a luxury hotel but its ok. The parking, breakfast and wifi are all free which is a positive and it is very conveniently located near the Northgate Mall, just off the main highway. The downtown core is only 7km away and an easy drive.

Id stay here again as a family, although its not a luxury getaway by any means.

Dear Andrew255103:

Thank you for reviewing the Hotel Nexus on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad you found our hotel convenient for your stay and the suite worked well for you and your family. Besides the complimentary breakfast, Wi-Fi and parking we offer complimentary shuttle service to downtown Seattle, local hospitals and many attractions. We have a 24-hour complimentary fitness and laundry facility as added amenities.

Thank you again for staying at the Hotel Nexus and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

When one first drives up, the color scheme and appearance of the hotel suggest late 60's Holiday Inn, and maybe once upon a time it was.
Let that not dissuade you as the folks are friendly, the price is right, the rooms are clean, the exercise room is great.
Like other reviewers, I found the next door neighbors at times audible, but not terribly so. The beds are about ready for renovation as mine had a sinkhole on one side. I just moved to the other.
The frig, microwave and coffee maker let you stay a little cheaper.
Don't miss the Family Donut shop sorta next door. Great donuts!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Cardio-2:

Thank you for reviewing the Hotel Nexus on TripAdvisor. We are a mature property with a uniquely retro but freshly modern feel. We have a great location near hospitals, shopping, downtown Seattle and major tourist attractions accessible through our complimentary shuttle service. Thank you for pointing out our rooms are clean as we take pride in our housekeeping staff.

Thank you again for choosing the Hotel Nexus and look forward to the opportunity to have you as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The staff is so warm and accommodating that I didn't want to leave. I love staying at the Nexus. I highly recommend paying a little extra for the Japanese spa room,.. it will take the stress out of traveling. The location is next to tne northgate mallwhich is so very convenient for those travel emergencies when you findthat you forgot something.The new management has really made a difference in bringing customer service to a new level. They also have a lovely breakfast buffet that even accomodates a vegetarian like me,..and they allow pets! What more could you want?!! Love, love, love it!

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear alaskaartist61:

Thank you so much for reviewing the Hotel Nexus on TripAdvisor. I agree that the Japanese soaking tubs are amazing! Thank you for your kind comments about new management - as the new General Manager it is appreciated that you can see the difference. Our location, complimentary breakfast, complimentary shuttles and staff are what makes our property the choice for many travelers. We are most proud of our exceptional staff that gives the "Nexus Touch" of service to each and every guest.

Thank you again for staying at the Hotel Nexus and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the near future.