“Terrible awful service, crappy rooms”

Hotel Nexus Seattle
Ranked #70 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed July 12, 2011

First, I'll start by saying that I think there may be 2 different Hotel Nexus in Seattle and this review is for the one on Northgate that is not downtown Seattle...

This is an overpriced motel. I stayed here because I was in town for the Seattle to Portland bicycle ride, and the Nexus had advertised on the ride's website. They advertised a special rate, shuttle your bags to the start line, etc., etc. Fabulous! After making the initial reservation, any time we called to ask a question about the shuttle or whatever, nobody knew anything about it and told us to call back later.

Finally we arrived. The lobby was nice and the staff was ok, but often was so difficult to get an answer to anything. Three of them standing there doing nothing, pretty annoying. The rooms are small and while some things seemed clean, the bedspreads looked old and shabby. The halls and elevators were small and hard to maneuver large luggage through.

We got up the morning of the ride. Now, the hotel was full of cyclists and they couldn't bother to put the hot breakfast out a little earlier. They knew all the riders would be gone by the time they usually put it out. We were left with cereal, dry overboiled eggs and bagels. Half my bagel was dry, the other half was soggy. So gross.

My friend wanted a photo of us so she asked someone who we think was another guest to take a photo. The man at the desk was apparently offended that she didn't ask him and made some comment. Fine, she handed him her camera. Then he didn't get off his lazy butt to take the photo. Seriously, he just turned his chair and took a crappy shot. WTH?

Finally it came time for them to shuttle our bags to the start line. We dropped our bags in the lobby, and when we came back down with our bikes... the bags and shuttle were gone (they weren't supposed to drive us, just our bags). But now we had no idea where to meet the shuttle. We rode on to the start line and hoped for the best. We couldn't find the shuttle. My friend called the hotel. The man who answered was extremely rude (the same one who "wanted" to take our photo) and just kept telling her the driver was at the start line.

"He's at the start line."

"He's at the Start. Line."

"He. is. at. the. start. line."

It was his only answer. Snottier each time. We tried to explain that there were 10,000 people there and we could not find him.

Could he patch us through to the driver?
Could he call the driver?
Could he give us the number?
What is your name?
Click.

He hung up on us. Several minutes later I called and asked for the manager. I was told she wasn't there. Again I politely tried to get him to help us. He spoke to me like I was the biggest moron in the world for wanting to find my bags. Again, I asked for his name and again he hung up. If you won't give someone your name, and your solution is to hang up on them, you know what you're doing is wrong.

Finally, we located the driver. The driver, Dan?, (the only person with a clue at this whole hotel) informed us that he had just spoken to the man at the front desk and that they could have called him.

This place is awful and the service sucks. The location isn't all that hot either if you're wanting to see Seattle. If you are going to advertise a special rate for a special event, don't act like jerks to the guests you attract.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Anne987654321

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stayed here due to the advertised hospital discount. Booked two days but they actually only had me for one. Good thing I caught it before I left for UW and they cleared out my room . That would have made it for a pretty stressful day! But the "deal" I thought I had certainly wasn't a deal. It's within walking distance to the mall, but the restaurant Saffron was in the parking lot and it was amazing! Rooms were comfortable enough and adequate. If you're an Alaskan Medicare recipient it would be a great hotel, as they take care of it all, even taxis. It was out of the way for downtown or the university district but they did provide a scheduled shuttle for guests.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Nexus for your recent stay. I apologize for the mix up with the reservations agent that you spoke to. I encourage all of our staff to send out e-mail confirmations when we have e-mail addresses for our guests to avoid such mix ups. I’m very pleased that you enjoyed the Saffron Grill. They are a great partner and I will be sure to pass your comments onto the owner. I hope that you did find the hotel shuttle service to a valuable form of transportation to the UW and back as many of our guests do. If not, I thought you would like to know that we make a special stop at the medical center for guests that come to town for that purpose. I do hope that we will be your first hotel choice next time life brings you to the area.

Safe travels, -Tim Cordodor, General Manager.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

In most cases, "boutique hotel" means specialty hotel. Here it means old motel with a shabby exterior and renovated rooms.

The exterior looks awful. The manager said "just because there are exterior doors on the building does not make it a motel". Really? Then I dare you to put a picture of this "boutique" hotel on your website!

When we arrived they had our renovation, but nearly everything the person who took our reservation told us about the motel and our room was wrong. The person who checked us in even seemed surprised by this.

Despite these warning signs, we gave the motel a chance and chose to ignore the ghostly voice that whispered "GET OUT" when we walked into the room. The pull out couch smelled distinctly (not vaguely) of naked sweaty rump. Something we only noticed as the night wore on. The mattress in the couch was stained with something that I hope (but doubt) was coffee.They gave us a mattress for our daughter to sleep on that looked as though it had been fetched from the dumpster out back. We refused to let her sleep on it.

This motel is creaky, noisy, smelly and as one reviewer put it, just plain creepy.

I recommend the owners isfire the marketers and hire an asonist. Alternatively they should clean up the exterior, revise the website to let people know that is a motel with renovated suites, and drop their rates to match the quality of the experience they deliver.

You have been warned.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and stay on the top floor away from the traffic.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Tripdaddy2

Dear Family Vacationers,

Thank you for your frank comments regarding Hotel Nexus. As an independent property it can sometimes be difficult to portray the quality image of the property to the perspective travelers that are looking for the value that we have to offer. Our 3 diamond AAA rating can help give some quality understanding but we understand that we are not the hotel for every person and situation. I’m sorry that we fell so short of your expectations. Though we don’t claim to be a boutique hotel, we certainly assert our hotel to be a clean, convenient and comfortable lodging establishment. We will certainly take your comments into consideration as we continue to change and improve Hotel Nexus.

Safe travels to you and your family. Tim Cordodor, General Manager.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

After a long airplane flight and arriving at 1am. We were told that our reservations "had been kicked out of their system" and the hotel was full. The desk clerk was very unsympathetic to our plight. Thank goodness the hotel manager was there. He arranged to comp our night at one of "their sister hotels" but we must return for the second night of our stay. He arranged a night at Staybridge Suites in Mukilteo, 20 minutes north of the city, Definitely not near the city of Seattle. Staybridge was wonderful. We later found out that Hotel Nexus was in a very seedy part of town. We had planned to stay there later in our stay...we immediately canceled.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank pbstravels

Dear Traveling Family,

I’d like to start by apologizing for the mix up regarding your reservation. I’m not familiar with the situation and would love the opportunity to hear more about that so that I can address the underlying problem. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Staybridge Suites but do wish that you could have had the opportunity to experience Hotel Nexus, its services and amenities. We think that we could have made your stay enjoyable and met your expectations if given the chance.

I’m sorry that you heard that Northgate is a “Seedy” area. Our neighborhood’s urban center is just a block east of the hotel and is categorized with such establishments as Nordstrom and a new 14 screen Regal Cinema with IMAX. I do hope to hear from you so that we can learn and grow to meet your needs and perhaps offer the opportunity to host you during your next visit to our lovely city. You can contact me directly at gm@hotelnexusseattle.com if I can be of servcie. Safe Travels to you and your family.

Tim Cordodor, General Manager

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Not very exciting, but close to Northgate Mall for shopping and eats, a bit of a trip to downtown Seattle due to incredible traffic. A great donut shop in strip mall next to hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your review, we always look forward to getting our guest’s feedback so that we can improve for your next visit. While I don’t know that we can change the traffic, there are a few other good routes to get downtown that we would be happy to recommend as the 6 minute trip on the freeway can be much more during certain times of the day. I’d be happy to pass on the compliment to the couple that owns Family Donut. They are great neighbors and friends of the hotel. Thanks again for choosing Hotel Nexus and safe travels to you!

Tim Cordodor, General Manager.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

I was forced to stay at this hotel again (2nd time) because it was the contracted hotel for my job. I checked in on 6 June 2011. I did the "obligatory" walk through. At first sight, it didn't look too bad. When I got up the next morning to take my shower, there was alot of hair on the wall. You couldn't see it at first since it blended in with the color of the wall (brown). I went down and requested the front desk to ensure housekeeping fix this issue. When I came back that night after work, it still wasn't clean. I had to have housekeeping come by after 7pm to fix this problem. I had co-workers that the staff checked in, and the room was filthy!. bed wasn't made, trash was left in the room. I think there is a communication problem, even management issue within this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank dbarkley
Reviewed May 16, 2011

My stay at this hotel was one night only, thank goodness. We came to this hotel very late at night and from the outside it looked like a very nice hotel. The lobby looked newly decorated, and so our thoughts were that this place would be great for the price, $110.00 a night. A lot of reno's were done to the room but when we turned the heater on in the room, what a racket. We had to sleep with the heat off if we wanted any sleep at all. The heaters need to be replaced as well. I was very cold for most of the night and too tired to ask to be moved. I have looked at other reviews and was a little confused because I saw some great reviews. I guess we were one of the unlucky ones.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ILoveTooTravel
HotelNexus, General Manager at Hotel Nexus Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2011

Dear recent guest,

First, please allow me to apologize regarding any heater issues you encountered during your stay. We do both service and inspect the rooms after our guests check out to make sure just this type of thing does not happen. Also, we maintain a 24hr guest service staff to address any guest service needs at any hour. We would have loved to have had the opportunity to address this at the time to ensure you received a good night’s rest. We know that getting good sleep away from home is hard enough without the bother of added noise.

We do appreciate all the compliments on the rest of your stay. We have accomplished a great many projects that have made this property more comfortable, quiet, updated and stylish. We constantly look to continue in that process, like with our latest guest room renovations, new fitness area or recently added breakfast room. I would love to consider more of your thoughts and impressions of the hotel if you have time to share them. Please call me directly at the hotel or at gm@hotelnexusseattle.com. I hope that there may be a chance to earn your business for a second look at Hotel Nexus.

I wish you safe travel’s wherever the road takes you. Tim Cordodor, General Manager.