“Wish I Could Stay Here Forever”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seattle
Shafer Baillie Mansion
Ranked #5 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Columbia, MO
“Wish I Could Stay Here Forever”
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I absolutely loved my stay at the Shafer Baillie Mansion. Its location is discreet, yet convenient. Its decor is magical--antique couches of deep maroon silk offset by dark wood paneling. The accommodations were immaculate, and the breakfast was varied and plentiful. Everything that you need to feel at home when you arrive back after a long day wandering the city--a friendly greeting, a cup of tea, and a warm, comfy room.

Mark and Ana, the owners, are very hospitable and friendly. They will do whatever it takes to make your stay relaxed and special. When I was there, our TV remote had been misplaced. When it couldn't be found, Mark gave us their family's personal TV remote to use.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank snizzlephritz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed December 3, 2007

My mom, and good family friend and I came to the Shafer Bailie in August, and the only thing that was not absolutely perfect was that they were doing renovations on the outside (hey, it has to happen sometime). We picked it because the hotels were mostly booked and more expensive than we wanted to pay. After this experience, I will always look at Bed and Breakfasts before hotels. From the onset, it was a fabulous place to stay. We arrived before our room was ready, so we were able to leave our bags and get some lunch in the meantime (with an excellent restaurant recommendation). Perfect distance from the city - not in the middle, but an easy car ride (5 minutes maybe?). Beautiful neighborhood. Breakfast was wonderful, and there is always water, coffee, and tea available. Other guests were repeat customers. I will always look to go back here when I revisit Seattle, and I will tell everyone I know to stay here when they come. Absolutely lovely.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
kamloops. bc
Reviewed October 16, 2007

We stayed in the Volunteer Park Room for 3 nights on a beautiful sunny October weekend. The room was quiet, the bed very comfortable and the breakfasts were excellent. An unexpected treat was hearing another guest play the piano during our last morning's breakfast. Absolutely no scrimping by the hosts on the quality or quantity of food. We parked our car in front of the mansion all weekend and took advantage of the nearby bus routes to get downtown and to the Seattle Center. The B & B is one block away from beautiful Volunteer Park which has enough attractions to fill most of a day. It is also located a short walk from restaurants, pubs and shops on a very interesting section of 15th Ave. Loved the surrounding neighbourhood, great for walks.
We hope to come back to this wonderful place on our next trip to this great city.

Reid Z.
Kamloops, BC

• Liked — excellent breakfasts, quiet room, convenient location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank reidzo
Sequim Washington
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Zigman
Oct 13 2007

Stayed in Elliot Bay Suite just after a major outside painting job was completed.

On the positive side no expense has been spared in refurbishing the mansion, the rooms were large and airy, the owner was responsive to our requests, and the continental breakfast was excellent (fresh fruit, smoked salmon, cheeses).

On the negative side there was significant dust on many of the surfaces when we checked into the room. The owners did do some cleaning during the evening after our comments. However, by the second day my wife started having serious asthmatic attacks apparently due to paint dust residue in the room. We had to hurriedly leave with the third night paid (no offer of rebate made). After several treatments by an allergist my wife is still recovering. Although it wasn't the main cause of the allergic reaction there was also a strong chemical smell emanating from the carpet in the sitting room.

I rated the B&B as above average and it could become excellent. However, I would strongly recommend that guests with respiratory problems avoid this room until the owners can assure them that it has been professionally and completely cleaned, ie. carpets, bed, all other furniture and surfaces. These comments would undoubtedly apply to the Capital Hill and Queen Anne Room which were also affected by the painting.

• Liked — Quality of facility and location
  • Disliked — Need for major cleanup in some rooms after outdoor painting
  • Stayed September 2007
Denver, CO
Reviewed October 12, 2007

I stayed at the mansion for 5 nights while on a business trip to Seattle and found it to be a beautiful, relaxing, and quiet place to relax and get away from the typical business hotel environment. The mansion is located in a residential neighborhood surrounded by huge trees and stately older homes with a lovely park and art museum just a block up the hill. Some good neighborhood restaurants, cafes, and bars are also within walking distance. The mansion is on the corner of two small streets that didn't seem to get much traffic, even during rush hour, so I'm not sure where the traffic noise others have mentioned could have come from.
My room was on the second floor and was very spacious, clean, and well appointed. Free wireless internet and a large flat-screen TV were nice bonuses and the walk-in closet was a genuine luxury. It was great to be able to unpack and hang all my business clothes for the week without worrying about them getting wrinkled in a cramped hotel closet. The bathroom was also spacious and clean, although there was no shampoo (not something you usually think about bringing from home).
I was unable to experience breakfast as I was leaving in the mornings before breakfast was served, but the management was kind enough to set up yogurt, cereal, and coffee for me each morning.
The entire mansion is beautifully restored and filled with antique furniture in very good condition. There's a sunny garden room, several more formal sitting areas, and a computer room that's free to guests.
Overall, I loved this place and will definitely stay there again when in the Seattle area and would love to come back for a vacation.

• Liked — Quiet and spacious
  • Disliked — Would like to have seen shampoo in the bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Mantonat
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed September 29, 2007

Well, I thought about not writing this review because I would love my room to always be available when I return! But it's too good a gem not to share... Tucked in Capitol Hill, an old quaint neighbourhood, is majestic yet cozy Shafer Baillie. My room looked exactly as it did in the website photos, parking on the street was easy to find as described and I have never had a better continental breakfast anywhere (5-star hotels inclusive). Hosts Ana and Mark were helpful when I needed them (upon arrival and a phone call away) and out of sight when I didn't (leaving me space and privacy). My room - the Capitol Hill - was spacious and clean with a walk-in closet, big fluffy white towels, flatscreen tv and highspeed internet access. A variety of newspapers were available daily as well as a great magazine collection. Breakfast included fresh fruit, yogurt, a selection of cereals, cheeses and meats as well as coffee and tea - definitely more than I had expected! The neighbourhood has many amenities (about six blocks down the road) including restaurants, cafes, grocery and wine shopping, a Starbucks and gas station nearby. I walked to Pike Place market for flowers in a good half hour and drove a mile away to have dinner at Lark.

This month and next, I will be spending 30 nights away from home staying in 4 and 5-star hotels for both business and pleasure. It is rare for me to be able to find a bed and breakfast along the way though I search. If I had the option of a Shafer Baillie close to the city centre of every place that I visited, I would choose it hands down over any hotel.

• Liked — Great location and neighbourhood
  • Disliked — Fall leaves all over my car in the morning!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank What_a_view
ca
Reviewed September 12, 2007

We booked one night in the Master Suite via the SB website earlier the same day. It was the only room available and had a King bed so we took it. The home is lovely--great attention to restoration--and very, very clean! Breakfast was "expanded continental" which I thought would be a rip-off but turned out to be very nice due to the addition on meats and cheeses and lovely fruit. The coffee maker is quite intimidating, but makes a perfect cup! :-)

We found it a bit strange to be greeted at the front door with no intruduction (!), but maybe just an oversight.

Couple of things we found odd: No book of menus or recommendations for things to do or see. We asked about restaurants and were directed to a few areas within walking distance where they were plentiful, but the hostess had not eaten at the ones she mentioned and could not remember the name of the Thai places that she had enjoyed previously (?). No tour of the facilities or explanation of where we could find water or ice (we found the water, never did find any ice. No guest fridge either in a common location or in the room. no explanation of the internet or printer (we needed to print boadring passes, but could not from the laptop in the office which just kept giving an error on the yahoo website), In fact, we found that the hostess was conspicously absent at breakfast as well--we came down and the folks who were eating left, and so did she! She did re-appear nearly 20 minutes later after another couple who came down after we did had left. We finally did have a nice chat and she recommended a few things to do with the few extra hours that we had in town. But it was not the effusive hospitality that has been described on this site.

If we do stay here again, we will never, EVER stay in the Master suite! While it is lovely, it is on a busy, busy street. Even with the (single paned) windows closed, the traffic noise kept us up until 3am. I think some of the other rooms might be quieter.

Overall, I was dissapointed with our stay. Hubby loved the old house and the work that had been done on it and it is terrific to see that people do care about the past. I missed my sleep and the personal touch and recommendations that make a B&B so different than a hotel.

• Liked — beautiful restored mansion
  • Disliked — noise, lack of personal touch
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple