Bacon Mansion
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Belltown Inn(Seattle)(Great Value!)
$282
$274
$254
  • Room Service
La Quinta Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown(Seattle)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
$288
$254
Kimpton
$415
Mediterranean Inn(Seattle)(Great Value!)
$169
  • Fitness center
Holiday Inn Seattle Downtown(Seattle)(Great Value!)
$187
$454
galahotels.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrose roomcapitol hillb bcarriage houseyogurtcapitol suitevenetian rooma quiet residential areathe main housegreat locationseattle neighborhoodearly riserscommon areasbed breakfastsingle nightother guestswithin walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 5, 2007

My husband and teenage son and daughter spent several nights at the Bacon Mansion in July 07. We thought that the place was absolutley charming. We were in the Capitol Suite for 3 nights, and it was really spacious, attractive, and full of old world personality. We were very, very comfortable.
The location is also perfect, and we walked a lot to great shops and restaurants. Owner Daryl King is a real professional and does a great job steering this grand old ship. Big thumbs up!

Brenda and Michael de Jong
Oak Park, IL

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I had read a review in Fodors and went online to see the rooms. I'm not sure when they took the pictures, but it must have been some time ago. Our room had worn chairs, buckled carpet, and a strange shower arrangement (in the middle of the tub from the wall).

I was tempted to burn my Fodors book but it was too late. There were no rooms to be had in Seattle so we stayed there. We stayed in the Venetian Room, the last room available on those nights. We looked at the Capitol Room which was much more spacious and not so worn looking. Travelers beware, this B&B needs some updates.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Texas2007-1
Reviewed March 29, 2007

Our experience is based on a weekend stay in one of the “tucked in below the main floor”
basement suites. Although the room did have a window high on the wall, it was, in fact, tucked in well below ground level.
Although spacious and relatively clean, the room was a bit musty smelling and could have used a thorough dusting. The fixtures and furnishings were adequate, but not period pieces, nor would I call them luxurious.
The private bath was clean, but the extremely sluggish toilet performed poorly and was flanked by a worn and much-needed plunger—indicating that maintenance in this area could use some improvement. The shower water pressure was inadequate and the “rosette” (the ring that typically covers the ugly hole where a shower pipe sticks out of the wall) was missing. I found myself wondering what was lurking on the side of the hole in the wall, so showering was a little less pleasant than it could have been.

That said, my partner and I found the house relatively interesting and the common areas well furnished and inviting. We found the library particularity cozy while other guests enjoyed socializing in the comfy living room.

We met only one staff person, who was pleasant and competent. He welcomed us at the door, showed us around the house, and later provided information on transportation and dining in the area. He also kept us well supplied with coffee and other supplies during the two identical breakfasts we enjoyed over the weekend.

In my opinion, the breakfasts of cold cereal, fruit salad, yogurt, and juice were just barely adequate. Muffins, coffee, and tea, are apparently the only freshly prepared items available. I’ve had far better fare at other B&Bs. There was nothing to complain about, but other than the excellent muffins, there was nothing special about the morning meals.

This B&B is in an excellent location, only a short bus or taxi ride from downtown. It’s in a colorful, eclectic neighborhood, with shops and dining nearby.

Given that it is so well situated, and the fact that accommodation is relatively expensive in Seattle, the Bacon Mansion provides moderately good value for the money spent. However, it falls short of the glowing descriptions and carefully composed photos on its website.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Richard D
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Nice b&b, easy walking to many fun restaurants, easy cab to downtown. Comfortable rooms though I must say I felt the manager that checked us in was a little short with us. We are not from the area and I had a few questions about what to do where to go how to get there etc...my questions were met w/ one word answers. The manager was not all that excited to chat with us. I consider friendly and knowledgable assistance to be a big benefit to staying at b&b's so i was a little disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank TaikoM
Reviewed October 4, 2006

A full guest room and a teething toddler led us to find alternative accomodations in Seattle. We found a gem in this 1906 dowager in the Capitol Hill section of the city. Although the room was in the basement (forget the "tucked under" nonsense in the brochure ), it was light, spacious and comfortable. We were happy and very comfortable during our two night stay.
There are eleven rooms available on various floors of this spacious old tudor style mansion. Public rooms include a library, livingroom and very large dining room in which an expanded continental breakfast ( my definition) is served. The porch opens into a garden with a charming fountain which is adjacent to the carriage house which can accomodate larger family groups.
Do not expect the million calorie killer french toast breakfast. My venerable spouse however, was wildly happy with the fresh fruit salad, juices, cereals and really delicious muffins. I judge by the coffee. It was good. I was Happy. Someone has also given a great deal of thought to the selection of teas.
People were helpful and charming. The owner was on vacation, but things seem to run smoothly. Our bathroom was large, well lit, had good linens and an excellent water supply. Tolietries were of excellent quality. Wing chairs in the bedroom are always a plus. A fridge was handy and coffee was placed just outside the room in the am.
On the minus side: I need to lend them my Aunt Agnes for a course in dusting. Bathrobes would be a nice touch and some of the bed pillows have seen better days.
We would return in a heartbeat and would reccomend to all including Aunt Agnes!

Stayed: September 2006