“Unfriendly owners and managers/great location”
Review of Bacon Mansion

Bacon Mansion
Ranked #11 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 15, 2009

A bunch of us stayed here for a friend's wedding, and I have to say the location was great. The owners/managers were not. They were outright rude at times, which surprised me. So many of us were from out of town, and they acted like asking questions was an imposition. I wouldn't stay here again for that very reason. For the same price, you can stay elsewhere where I am sure the service will appreciate your interest and dollar!

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank rgpmail2
There are newer reviews for Bacon Mansion

Reviewed August 13, 2008

The Bacon Mansion is centrally located on Capitol Hill in Seattle. We stayed two nights in the Capitol Suite, which is even larger than it appears on the B&B's Web site. The Capital Suite has two rooms that are separated by French doors. The larger room has an enormous four-poster king-size bed, two sofas, a desk, two sitting areas, two huge bureaus, and a large walk-in closet. The smaller room has a queen-size bed, small sitting area, small refrigerator, and a small vanity with a sink. The king-size bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in, and the queen-size was more than adequate. The rooms feature gorgeous period furniture, all lovely warm wood & cushy upholstered chairs & sofas.

Fresh, hot strong coffee (or hot water/tea) is left outside your door at 7:30 each morning. Breakfast is from 8:30-9:30 in the formal dining room. Everyone sits at a single huge, beautifully decorated table. Food was excellent, but light - homemade muffins, fresh fruit salad, yogurt, a couple kinds of cereal. Juice, coffee & tea to drink.
Common areas are lovely, and there is a baby grand piano in the living room. While we were there, another guest played beautifully each evening.

The gardens feature exquisite flowers, with many small tables tucked away so that you can have a nearly private experience. We enjoyed sitting outside with our coffee in the morning before breakfast.

The B&B is within walking distance of numerous excellent restaurants & interesting shops on Capitol Hill. The location is also very close to downtown Seattle, if you want to drive or take the bus.

Beware: The sofa bed is unusable for sleeping. It is truly terrible - lumpy, tilted, with the metal bar pressing firmly into your back. Do not attempt to even put kids on it - they will be more comfortable on the floor.

Remember that this is an old mansion - so the water pressure in the second floor rooms is nearly nil. The water scarcely dribbles out of the fixture.

There is no air conditioning, so we had to throw open all the windows to get any relief during the warm, sunny weather. (I know, we aren't complaining.) If you need a cool room to sleep, don't come here when it's sunny.

The windows do not have screens, which was a problem for me. When we were in the room after dark & had the lights on, all the flying insects were attracted by the lights and came to join us.

Also, the house has lots of spiders. Not venomous spiders, but they were too large & too numerous for me nonetheless. The rest of my family doesn't mind creepy crawlies, and didn't even notice all the 6 & 8-legged occupants. But I did. If you're concerned about bugs, don't come here in the spring/summer.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank AKdogs
Reviewed December 13, 2007

As a member of the media, I was looking for solitude, mainly, in a place with charm. This place more than met my expectations. Daryl, our host, informed us of the itinerary, then left us alone. Aside from prompt room service, we enjoyed a private fireplace (our room was in the basement — I highly recommend) and we had a romantic stay. When we wanted company, we joined breakfast and met the greatest people. Located right outside of everything Seattle, the Bacon Mansion was perfect for our needs. Ask Daryl for anything — he is most accommodating.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We stayed at the Bacon for three wonderful days. The location is perfect (Capitol Hill is a great neigborhood and convenient to most sights and many wonderful restaurants). The rooms are clean and well maintanied. We stayed in the Rose room, which had a nice view and was a good size.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bacointhe04
Reviewed August 5, 2007

My husband and teenage son and daughter spent several nights at the Bacon Mansion in July 07. We thought that the place was absolutley charming. We were in the Capitol Suite for 3 nights, and it was really spacious, attractive, and full of old world personality. We were very, very comfortable.
The location is also perfect, and we walked a lot to great shops and restaurants. Owner Daryl King is a real professional and does a great job steering this grand old ship. Big thumbs up!

Brenda and Michael de Jong
Oak Park, IL

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I had read a review in Fodors and went online to see the rooms. I'm not sure when they took the pictures, but it must have been some time ago. Our room had worn chairs, buckled carpet, and a strange shower arrangement (in the middle of the tub from the wall).

I was tempted to burn my Fodors book but it was too late. There were no rooms to be had in Seattle so we stayed there. We stayed in the Venetian Room, the last room available on those nights. We looked at the Capitol Room which was much more spacious and not so worn looking. Travelers beware, this B&B needs some updates.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Texas2007-1
Reviewed March 29, 2007

Our experience is based on a weekend stay in one of the “tucked in below the main floor”
basement suites. Although the room did have a window high on the wall, it was, in fact, tucked in well below ground level.
Although spacious and relatively clean, the room was a bit musty smelling and could have used a thorough dusting. The fixtures and furnishings were adequate, but not period pieces, nor would I call them luxurious.
The private bath was clean, but the extremely sluggish toilet performed poorly and was flanked by a worn and much-needed plunger—indicating that maintenance in this area could use some improvement. The shower water pressure was inadequate and the “rosette” (the ring that typically covers the ugly hole where a shower pipe sticks out of the wall) was missing. I found myself wondering what was lurking on the side of the hole in the wall, so showering was a little less pleasant than it could have been.

That said, my partner and I found the house relatively interesting and the common areas well furnished and inviting. We found the library particularity cozy while other guests enjoyed socializing in the comfy living room.

We met only one staff person, who was pleasant and competent. He welcomed us at the door, showed us around the house, and later provided information on transportation and dining in the area. He also kept us well supplied with coffee and other supplies during the two identical breakfasts we enjoyed over the weekend.

In my opinion, the breakfasts of cold cereal, fruit salad, yogurt, and juice were just barely adequate. Muffins, coffee, and tea, are apparently the only freshly prepared items available. I’ve had far better fare at other B&Bs. There was nothing to complain about, but other than the excellent muffins, there was nothing special about the morning meals.

This B&B is in an excellent location, only a short bus or taxi ride from downtown. It’s in a colorful, eclectic neighborhood, with shops and dining nearby.

Given that it is so well situated, and the fact that accommodation is relatively expensive in Seattle, the Bacon Mansion provides moderately good value for the money spent. However, it falls short of the glowing descriptions and carefully composed photos on its website.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple