“Awesome location, easy on the budget”

The Green Tortoise Hostel
New Lexington, Ohio
“Awesome location, easy on the budget”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

The Green Tortoise was my first-ever hostelling experience. I visited the Pacific Northwest and wanted to make my money go further. I stayed for four days. The Green Tortoise is literally right across the street from the famous Pike Place Market. I can't believe they only charge $30/night when they are in that location. On the downside, the noise from the market is incredible. Fish and vendor trucks start to roll in at all early hours of the morning. Bring ear plugs and you will be fine. I usually have trouble sleeping in non-familiar locations, but I slept so soundly during my stay.

I stayed in a 6-person all-female room with three sets of bunk beds. Each bunk bed has it's own privacy curtain (which also blocks out light), a fan and electrical outlets for all your gadgets. Each bed also comes with an underbed storage locker, which is big enough for your suitcase. You can bring your own lock or purchase one from the hostel. The bathrooms are private and in the hallway. There are several, so I never had to wait very long for access. They are beautiful, nicer than most fancy hotel bathrooms. The shower head is one of those rain types, which was very relaxing.

The Green Tortoise also provided breakfast, but you had to make it yourself and dinner three nights a week. I never took advantage of the food options, so I can't review them. I prefer to eat out when on vacation. Laundry machines are available. There is a nice big lounge to hang out in and meet other travelers. There is also a private lounge of sorts, which I did not enter. There is a computer lab available, but it is full day and night I found it hard to find an empty computer station.

I do have a couple of issues during my stay. The major one for me was the unreliable wi-fi. Half the time it didn't work. A lot of the international guests were very upset by this as Facebook is a major way of checking in with friends and families back home. Sometimes you could access it close to the front desk and sometimes not. The other one was that I had to move beds three times during my four-night stay. I returned to the hostel after a long day of sightseeing and found a non-English speaking girl on my bed, in the sheets I slept in last night, on top of my pajamas I left on the bed. I had to move beds, but she got to keep my original bed. This happened to me three times. I did have some warning the last two times. I finally made the front desk guy pinkie promise that I could keep the same bed two nights in a row because it is a hassle to move all my stuff.

Other than the minor issues, I had a great time and would stay here on my next trip to Seattle.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Key Biscayne, FL
Reviewed June 6, 2010

This hostel seems to have taken the best ideas from all the hostels I have ever stayed in and combined them into one really great place. I stayed in a dorm room, but never felt cramped or uncomfortable due to the ingenious set-up. Each bunk has privacy curtains, a fan, electrical outlets to charge all your gadgets and a reading light. The bathrooms and showers are all individual ones, so you have somewhere to put all your belongings without having to run around in a towel through the common area. The hostel has almost nightly activities, such as free dinners, outings to bars and clubs at discounted prices, and free walking tours. The staff is super helpful and knowledgeable about the area, causing to me to continue extending my stay because I simply did not want to leave. In short, if I had to make a suggestion to improve this place, I would be stumped. They've already thought of everything.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2010

If you are staying at a hostel you are likely looking for location balanced with price. All you can ask for is a clean bed and shower, which the Tortoise delivers. I've stayed here a few times and would recommend it to other backpackers. The staff always have the tourist info and maps you're looking for and you're right downtown so walking is the perfect way to get around. A/C in the summer would be a vast improvement.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
new mexico
Reviewed April 12, 2010

After traveling six hours, we were glad to finally see our hostel. We were excited to be staying in Seattle, until we started to check in. Our helper, Adam, could not have been more rude to us after such a long trip. What we needed was a welcoming personality, but instead he gave us short, unhelpful responses that made us feel like an inconvenience holding up his piece of pizza waiting for him next to the computer. We were about to give him a week's worth of business; I tried to explain our situation to him about our stay, when he literally "shushed" me, because he was looking at the computer screen. He continued checking us in in a monotone and repetitive voice, not listening to our questions or efforts to help him understand our situation. It was very difficult to stay in high spirits for the rest of the trip knowing this guy was the assistant manager at the hostel.

Also, the community refrigerator was not safe. We had at least 7 beers stolen and drank by others, even when we labelled our box with our names. I suspected they were the 'volunteer workers' who were able to stay for free by working shifts at the hostel, but who also drank and smoked (not just cigarrettes) all day in the "private lounge", looking smashed coming in and out of the suspicious-looking door.

Although other workers were friendly to us, and free dinner every few nights, there were things about the hostel that made us feel incredibly uncomfortable, a feeling that a business does not want their customer feeling about staying there. We weren't looking for a five-star hotel by any means, but we weren't looking for a college frat dorm, either.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank chinisci
Portland, OR
Reviewed March 25, 2010

We (party of 3) booked an 8 person room. The size of the room was ridiculously small. For instance, if two people wanted to climb to the top of their bunks at the same time without hitting into each other, they weren't able to. Besides a pair of flip flops, you couldn't fit anything in the "aisle" in between the four bunk beds. I know that there is ample storage space under each bed, but to charge 31 dollars per night per person is a scam! I've stayed in other hostels that felt like bed and breakfasts. This place was trashy. The 5 International travelers decided to have sex all night but this noise was NOTHING compared to the FISH trucks that unloaded in waves beginning at midnight and again around 3am. The Tortoise tries to sell you the free pancakes and parking "deal" but for some odd reason, we just weren't in the mood for pancakes. The parking costs 16.00 for 24 hours but the CATCH IS NO IN AND OUT!! Downtown Seattle isn't the place to be at night anyway. The best thing about our stay was when the guy at the front desk gave us our 20.00 deposit back after we got 91.00 back for canceling our second night. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Travelodge on Aurora and 85th. Great service, TV, free danishes in the morning. AND you are right around the corner from Fremont and Ballard where you can find great bars and rest.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Teatreechina
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Stayed here one night in a double. VG service at reception, we changed our booking with no trouble at all. Someone was always available and they gave me a good deal on tickets for the Experience Music Project.
Hostel was clean throughout and the common/dining area more than adequate.
The downtown location across from the markets was great.

The only downside was the STAIRS. Stairs everywhere, a real pain to lug stuff up.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2010

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in! The location is amazing - about 2 seconds away from the marketplace, a million coffee shops and live music venues. Our four-bed dorm was quite small but had massive lockers under the bunks for all the luggage, and the curtains around the beds are great for privacy and noise reduction. The bathrooms were very clean and the showers were nice and big. Breakfast with a massive selection of yummy foods (including waffles) was included, though unfortunately we slept through it twice! It's a sociable hostel that runs activities for guests and there is a nice, big communal area with plenty of seating/tables, TV and Internet. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I'd definitely go back here!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends