“Location, Location?”

Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown
Ranked #21 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed August 20, 2014

The hotel is well located if you have a car. You can get off Hwy. 5 at the easily accessable exits at Mercer, drive west until 5th Ave., then hang a right and you are there after a block. The parking areas are tiny, I was really glad that I didn't let the rental car attendent talk me out of a compact.
You are north of the needle and it is over a mile to The Market, over 2 to the historic Pioneer Square and even further to the stadiums. Fortunately we like to walk. Unlike others here, I was not enamored with the mass transit. All lines seemed to simply funnel down 3rd, you often have to transfer in a sketchy area, the drivers were not that helpful and often you still had to walk even after being dropped off. The shuttle bus from the airport will still leave you a good walk away from the hotel. The monorail ony takes you about a mile to what they feel is the center of town...the shopping district (?). When asking directions to a Mariners game, the front desk advised me to simply catch lines 3 or 4 just outside the hotel, neglecting to tell me about the need to transfer.
I liked this hotel (see rating) and would come here again. But I would like this space for a rant. I am an old-timer who admittedly likes to pester the front desk. More and more I see hotels simply manning their front desks with some callow attendent who knows nothing about the area they represent. Maybe it's me, in this age of smart phones you are supposed to get the answers yourself. When asking this front desk what time the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation was opened for visits, they reacted like deers in the headlights. Note; the Foundation is less than two blocks away! They eventually forwarded a time of 8, we walked over (in the rain) to find it was open at 10.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zolo
hamptondowntown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. I especially, appreciate the details. This is great information for me to share about our knowledge of the area. This means so much to us as we continue to strive to improve. Please rest assure that I will share your feedback with my entire team. You are a valued guest and we appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to earn this once again on your next visit to the Seattle area.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Even though I live in the area I've needed to stayed here several times this year and have always been impressed with the quality and cleanliness of the rooms. The front desk and breakfast staff were consistently friendly and eager to please. My stay last week was no different, but what prompted me to write about it was how engaged management was with guests and staff. They all pitched in to help during a busy breakfast. Even though the breakfast was "self-service" the staff provided coffee refills at the tables and the GM, who helped to clear tables, greeted and sincerely thanked everyone.

Room Tip: Try for a room on a higher floor for a better view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jack K

Dear Valued Guest,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. A personal thank you to you for your continued support as a local and your continued confidence in our service and product. This means so much to us as we continue to strive to improve. Please rest assure that I will share your feedback with my entire team. You are a valued guest and we appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to earn this once again on your next visit to the Seattle area.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

This is my go to spot when in Seattle, the location is perfect, away from all the crazy traffic. And parking is at ease, and i dont have to worry about my car. I always get HHonors here and this so called Hilton in my opinion is up at the Hilton level. Just a much better price.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
hamptondowntown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Reviewed August 16, 2014

We took the Amtrak train to Seattle and stayed at this downtown hotel. Here is my review.

1) Location: Excellent - Located on 5th Avenue North which is 2 1/2 blocks from Seattle Centre where the EMP museum, Children's museum, Space Needle, Chihuly Glass museum, Pacific Science Centre and Monorail are within 1/2 block of each other.

2) Rooms - Clean, very quiet, firm beds with good pillows. Modern bathrooms with marble counter tops and cabinets. Mini fridge with no freezer and microwave available upon request. Safety deposit box at front desk.

3) Ammenities - Work out room, no pool, 2 computers for general access.

4) Free breakfast buffet - Hampton Inn serves the best free breakfast buffet of all the hotel chains we stayed at. They have over 6 types of cereals, oatmeal, muffins, fruit salad, waffle makers, break, english muffins, pastries, croissants, bacon/sausage (alternates on different days), scrambled eggs, all types of beverages, and yogurt. Plenty of seating but is very busy all morning.

5) travel tips - Lots of traffic and construction happening now. Amtrak is very affordable and is only 5 minutes away from the hotel. There is no need to have a car as all the museums are within walking distance and the monorail takes you downtown to Westlake shopping Centre - the heart of downtown which is 5 blocks from the harbor where the aquarium, Pike Place Market, seafood restaurants and Argosy boat tours are located. Buy the Seattle City Pass to have 2 passes to the Space needle, EMP museum or Flight Museum, Woodland Park zoo or Pacific Science Centre, Aquarium, 1 hour Argosy boat tour, and discount to the Chihuly glass museum.

All hotels in Seattle downtown area are expensive but this has the best value.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Glen K

Dear Valued Guest,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us.I especially, appreciate the details of your stay that you shared. This brings more value to our property and shows travelers the type of fit we are for their needs. This means so much to us as we continue to strive to improve. Please rest assure that I will share your feedback with my entire team. You are a valued guest and we appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to earn this once again on your next visit to the Seattle area.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Background: I've stayed in HIs across the world.

This Hotel: I can honestly say this is the best HI I have ever stayed in, worldwide. Their attention to detail is ahhmazing and truly makes me wish all other hotels were the same. Examples: Amazing directions for parking, direct you to the area/garage closest to your room. standard HI receipt and they improve upon it by printing the breakfast menu and today's weather on the back of it!!! The front desk staff was unbelievably kind and knowledgable.

Summary: I will go out of my way to stay at this property in the future and would prefer it over higher classes of hotels as well. Simply a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
hamptondowntown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. This means so much to us as we continue to strive to improve. I would also like to show my most sincere appreciate for the extremely kind words that you shared. I shared this with my team in total excitement of their efforts to personalize your experience. Your experience is what we want the most of. Your feedback really allowed me to continue to drive our platform of service and reiterate the message of owning each guest. I cannot thank you enough for taking this time for us. We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to earn this once again on your next visit to the Seattle area.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

We keep going back to Hampton inn when visiting the states. Such a pleasant stay each time. And the Seattle hotel was great. Such a spaceous room , has eveything you need. So comfortable bed! The breakfast and free coffe all day and night are very nice. You get free water bottles as well. The staff is very freindly and helpfull! The hotel is located near the area of the space needle. To get downtown you can take a short bus drive on the #4 bus. I highly recomend this hotel when visiting Seattle!

Room Tip: High floor
Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
hamptondowntown, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. This means so much to us as we continue to strive to improve. Please rest assure that I will share your feedback with my entire team. You are a valued guest and we appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to earn this once again on your next visit to the Seattle area.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stayed her for two days before our cruise to Alaska. The room was comfortable and the free breakfast was ok. Two things make this place very memorable. First -- the location is an easy walk to the Space Needle, the Seattle Center park, and restaurants. Second, the staff are all just terrific! This hotel is one of the closest hotels to he cruise port, so it gets a lot of cruise passengers. The staff really goes out of its way to help everyone get to where they need to be. If I were to go to Seattle again, I would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th flour in the back. It was very comfortable and noise free.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank CardsFan05

Dear Valued Guest,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. This means so much to us as we continue to strive to improve. I really appreciate all of the details that you shared with us. Please rest assure that I will share your feedback with my entire team. You are a valued guest and we appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to earn this once again on your next visit to the Seattle area.