“Excellent for location (and a fireplace)”

Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Downtown
Ranked #21 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We were extremely happy with our stay here. It's a quick walk to the Space Needle, the EMP Museum, and the monorail that took us downtown each day. We loved our large suite, with a full kitchen, a small balcony and a gas fireplace that we lit in the morning and at night. The bed was comfortable, and the pillows were just right. Plenty of closet space, too. The hotel layout is strange, though -- we felt like we were walking through a maze to get to the far-off elevator that took us to our room. And the breakfast area is an extremely crowded free-for-all. Good luck finding a spot to sit! Still, the positives far outweighed the inconveniences. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: If it's cold, get a suite to enjoy the fireplace.
1  Thank MarcInSA

Reviewed November 23, 2011

Please note that this review is for a standard King room.

I was reluctant to book at this hotel due to a few recent negative reviews, but the other Hilton branch my husband and I love in Seattle wasn't available. Luckily, we ended up liking it just fine. The hotel isn't fancy, but it is very comfortable. Their staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, and the in-room internet was free. Nothing felt dingy. I can't give feedback on the free breakfast since we didn't get a chance to try it out.

Parking was a little tight, but easy enough if you have a compact or mid-size rental. I don't know how comfortable I would have been if I had my mini-van with me though. It's helpful to back in to the spots even though the signs say head-in only. Note that there are two parking garages; the main one is on the left closest to the lobby, and a secondary one is to the right on a lower level. The lower level garage doesn't fill up as quickly, so I suggest parking there. Keep in mind that the secondary garage elevator does not go up to the top floor of the hotel, which is the 6th floor. We had to ride it up to the lobby level and take a second elevator to our room. It was a weird set-up, but worth it for easier parking.

Although the name of the hotel says "Seattle Downtown", it's really about one mile away from the "real" downtown area. We already knew this ahead of time though. It's common sense to map out the distance of the hotel in relation to the places you want to visit prior to booking.

The hotel is only two or three blocks from the Seattle Center, which was perfect for us since we were dining at the Space Needle and visiting the EMP Museum. There was a cool little Indie music store across from our room called Silver Platters that was fun to browse in. We also found a really nice 24-hour grocery across the street called QFC. (The office-like building didn't look like there'd be a market in it.) They had a Starbucks in the QFC as well, so that was super convenient.

We drove downtown a few times for dinner, but in hindsight should have walked the mile there or taken a taxi since parking in the "real" downtown is really inconvenient and expensive. I am glad we paid for parking when we went to Pike Place though. It was nice having the car to store the stuff we bought.

1  Thank NextGenGirl
Reviewed November 22, 2011

My wife and I had to make an emergency trip to be with a son who had brain surgery. we arrived on November 18th and found Laimara at the desk. In the course of checking us in she asked what brought us to Seattle. We explained the emergency that brought us here. She was very sympathetic and didn't charge us for the parking, to help us out. The room was very comfortable and quiet (fifth floor). She told us about a grocery store which was very close and also a resturant. The location was great, being only about a mile from Harborview Hospital. The hot breakfast was a real treat and the the setting area was adequate. Everyone was so helpful!!

1  Thank LoganBob
Reviewed November 16, 2011

This hotel need a lot of work, rooms are wear off, not that clean, location is decent but Hotel old need revamping

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sucorodas
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Just completed a 3-day stay on points at this location. Since it was a reward stay, perhaps I shouldn't be too salty, but then again, I was charged a whopping 190,000 HHonors points for a two-room suite, so I guess I'm entitled to a negative opinion of this place. Since my complaints are numerous, I will just list them bullet style.

-- Location - this place is NOT downtown as it is called in the marketing of the hotel Why not call it Hampon Inn Seattle Center? It is two blocks north of the Space Needle, so I guess if you're doing that while you're in town you will have a short walk. But to get downtown you have to take the Seattle Center monorail or a cab. Poor marketing on location here, folks.

-- Noise - The construction at the actual hotel may be completed, but the surrounding construction noise early Monday morning was atrocious. We were awakened EARLY by the sound of jackhammers, dump trucks, loud crashes, etc.. There is a ton of construction/destruction going on one block east and north of the hotel. Of course my room was facing this mess. Not only is it an eyesore, but when you're on a mini-vaction and you want to catch some much needed sleep, you can forget about it (at least on one side of the hotel).

-- Disgusting bath tub - At first glance, the suite was impressive. Spacious, full kitchen, nice gas fireplace, good sized bathroom. Then I pulled the shower curtain back and took one look at the tub and just shook my head (see attached photo). Not only did the porcelain have a quarter sized hole in it near the rear of the tub, but as you can see the entire tub had this HUGE grey stain from where a previous tub mat had been left too long and collected mold/mildew. Instead of replacing this tub, they just leave it be for guest after guest to walk in and say, "YUCK!"?? That just boggles the mind.

-- Heating/AC - Alright... so it's nearing winter time in Seattle. Which means, damp, cold, mid 40's for highs every day. So I was looking forward to this fireplace thing. But the fireplace is not on a thermostat at all. It's on some stupid 5 minute timer. So on consecutive cold nights while watching TV in the living room and trying to enjoy the fireplace, you have to get up every 5 minutes and wind up the stupid timer? Please. On top of that, the separate bedrooms don't seem to have temperature control. Instead, they have this goofy looking old 1970's style wall mounted heat/AC unit. I hate to break the news to the property managers here, but as a Hilton Diamond who has over 500 nights on the road in the last 5 years, your hotel is the FIRST to offer such horrendous in room air conditioning units.

-- Parking - So, I will give the hotel props for waiving my $8 daily parking fee for Diamonds. But I must say this - why charge for parking at all? There isn't a big demand for parking in this area is there? It's not like you're DOWNTOWN. And the parking? What a bizarre setup. The limited outside spaces are so narrow you can forget trying to get a full sized car in them. Then with the hotel built onto a hill there are two different parking garage entrances. But get this - the garages aren't hooked together. So once you do get parked and find an elevator things get extremely confusing. Oh, and the spaces in side the garage? Even tighter than the ones outside. Absoultely ridiculous parking situation at this hotel to say the least.

-- Housekeeping - can someone please explain to me why one day the maids would clean the condo thoroughly including replacing the towels and then the next day they barely touched the place and did not bother replacing the wet wash cloths or towels that were purposely left in the tub to be replaced? Mind boggling.

Staff - I have no complaints about the staff at all. The girls at the front desk are all very helpful and pleasant, as are the attendants working the breakfast area. Service here is probably the only high mark I can give.

Breakfast - Typical Hampton Inn breakfast. Nuked powdered egges, Nuked greasy sausage. The line for the waffle maker was a mile long both mornings we ate here. Cereals/muffins/fruit/yogurt was well stocked and fresh.

If I had it to do over again, I would have just paid to stay downtown instead of wasting a huge amount of HHonors points on this disappointing stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Ravenboy
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We stayed 2 nights on 30th October, 2011 as we were attending a concert at McCaw Hall. The hotel is an easy 5 minute walk away. There are good restaurants and coffee bars nearby. We upgraded to a suite which was perfectly adequate although cheaply furnished. They have gated underground parking for $15.00 a night.

Room Tip: Be aware the property is built on a hill. I requested a 2nd floor room as we do not like ground floo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed at this Hampton Inn two nights, October 30-31, 2011. Our room was well-appointed and comfortable. We were on the fourth floor, and it was pleasantly quiet.

The location is ideally located close to a number of restaurants, as well as being just one block away from Seattle Center and McCaw Hall, where we were attending a concert. We felt very safe walking back to the hotel from the Hall. In fact, we left our car in the secure parking garage the entire time we were there, and walked everywhere.

The buffet breakfast was well-appointed, and the staff was diligent in not letting the food run out.

We will definitely stay there again when we visit Seattle.

Room Tip: Depends on floor preference. Our room on the 4th floor (the lobby is on the 3rd floor) was convenie...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple