“Nice Hotel, Not Greatest Location”

Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center
Ranked #67 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night before leaving for a cruise. We tried to check in early after arriving around 1:30 but they said our rooms were not ready. They did however hold our bags for us and gave us some recommendations for local attractions and eateries. The location is not great. While it is not that far from the Space Needle it is a bit of a trek because navigating the local streets can be difficult because of how the roads are set up. It's also a pretty good walk to downtown and the waterfront but it is walkable. Check-in was a bit of a hassle; we waited in line for quite awhile. They did give us a free upgrade to a nicer room and we had a great view of the Space Needle from our room. The room was alright, the bed wasn't great but it was good enough. The free breakfast was better than most I've gotten in hotels. They had a pretty good selection and the food was good. The adjacent Holiday Inn has a nice little bar with a good beer selection too. The pool is pretty small but it was still nice to have and we did enjoy swimming in it. Overall, the hotel's not bad; it's clean and does offer a nice breakfast. I think it's probably a little more expensive than I think it should be and the location's not the best but it's still not a bad option if you're headed to Seattle.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the Space Needle.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy3838
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay! I apologize for any hassle upon check in! Our summer months are very busy, so we cannot always accommodate early check-ins. We certainly want to make your arrival experience as smooth as possible, especially after a full day of traveling. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again. And, as always, I welcome any contact regarding your stay experience. My goal is to ensure all of our guests are fully satisfied with their stay before they continue on with their travels. Thank you for staying with us!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Room was decently sized and in good condition. No problems with wireless. I thought the breakfast was pretty good--definitely better than many included hotel breakfasts. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. They arranged my transportation to the Amtrak station, which worked fine.

Downsides: although the room rate seemed in line with the market, I can't consider it a good value compared with similar quality properties in other major cities. Also, the location is not wonderful. It's surrounded by other mid-priced hotels, but practically no retail, restaurants, bars, etc. (Although it is near the country's first automatic car wash). Not typical big-city hotel surroundings at all. The walk to Seattle Center is a bit of an obstacle course, one of the obstacles being the homeless guy permanently stationed at the corner. (He didn't hassle me at all). It's probably only a 10-minute walk but it seems longer because the trip is so desolate.

I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again, but would certainly consider it if the price and logistics made sense.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us! I'm glad you enjoyed your room and our services. I appreciate your comments on our location and rates. We do stay in line with the other hotels, and during the summer months, our rates do tend to be higher. The best way to save money on our rooms is by booking as early as possible via our website. We offer a Book Early and Save rate which guarantees the lowest rate available at the time you make your reservation. This is a prepaid reservation that is non-refundable or modifiable, so you will want to be sure your plans are firm. Please always let me know if there is ever anything I can do to make your experience with us more enjoyable!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Being a priority club member, I stay in many Holiday Inns. The facilities at this hotel are about average for one of the older properties. (However, there were notices that the hotel is being renovated with new furniture, carpet and wallpaper.) Our room had a great view of the Space Needle--was really pretty watching the sunset behind the it. The best part of our stay was dealing with the front desk. We needed assistance with early morning transportation to the Amtrak station. The desk clerk gave us several options and arranged for a car service to pick us up. She was more helpful than some concierges have been at expensive hotels. All in all, it was a good stay for one night.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience! Our property upgrades are still in progress, so there are still more exciting changes to come. I'm so glad you had a good time, and I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel is very difficult to find and get to, in a part of town that seems just a little bit dodgy. But I don't feel unsafe here, and the property is clean, mostly well maintained, and the front desk people are friendly. Their free breakfast, while not a huge selection, is fairly decent by hotel standards - no pre packaged pastries here.

There are a couple of things here that I really don't like though. The first is that the Internet is very nearly unusable. I'm an IT guy, and I've never seen a setup like this. Each room seems to have its own DSL router, and you're supposed to connect to the one that gives you the most bars. Obviously this causes some contention problems. But the one in my room doesn't even *work*. It showed up once, I tried to connect, it timed out and never showed up again. I had to hop around between different access points, they'd work for a bit, and then stop working. It took me over a half an hour to upload nine pictures of the space needle to the Internet. At least they didn't charge me more for it. Honestly, if I'd known it was that bad I probably would have picked somewhere else - the prices here are about the same as other places I've checked. They seriously need to find someone who actually knows how to implement wireless - I bet they could do it cheaper too. There's also no WPA security at all - anyone can tap into anything you're doing. In this day and age, that's not acceptable.

Also, the power outlets in the room are mostly unusable. I found one that works, but the faceplate is missing - a shock hazard for children. The other one seemed to have fatigued blades and won't even hold the plug into the socket.

The elevator is really slow, but that's to be expected for an old hydraulic implementation, not too big a deal. Parking is in an underground lot that's rather difficult to find. I'm spending a lot of time walking because I just don't want to go through the trouble of getting in and out.

It's not that this is a bad place. Other than these things, it's a nice. It's just that, to me, these are big things. If you don't care much about the Internet you'll probably like it here.

Room Tip: They're remodelling the 3rd, 4th, and fifth floors. Maybe those rooms are better.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank duskglow
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay with us, and thank you for your compliments on our cleanliness and service. Please be assured your feedback is being taken very seriously. We have had the majority of our WAPs replaced very recently, so the internet speed should be vastly improved. I will also be sure to address the outlet issue with my maintenance staff immediately. Providing a safe environment for all of my guests and employees is a priority something I take very personally. I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future, and I welcome the opportunity to discuss this or any other matter with you. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Darcy Hambrick, GM
hambrick@hcbmi.net

Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

No frills hotel in a great location for visiting the Space Needle, EMP, Key Arena, ect. Good price, clean, friendly staff and a great Space Needle view. Buffet breakfast was also very good but they could use more seating. Would absolutely visit again if going to that area.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank OlyCoug
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us, and I'm so glad you had a good time. We definitely would welcome you back the next time you are in Seattle!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The staff was very helpful in assisting me to get to various meetings, suggesting the best routes, and helping me plan walking routes. They had a power outage during my stay...what professionalism in calming people stuck in the elevator and dealing with the usual jerks who acted like it was their fault that the electricity was out.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JuneNP
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding my staff! They work very hard, and it is so nice to see their efforts recognized. Power outages are certainly inconvenient for everyone involved, and I appreciate your understanding and kudos. I hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next trip to Seattle!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel's only positive is its proximity to the Seattle City Centre !
Front Desk staff was so straight faced & expressionless that it made me think that they are doing us a favour by renting us the room for the 2 nights !!
The room was very dungy & the damp carpet smell was hitting your nose bad. The room rent is cheap as compared to other hotels around that area but dosen't mean they should be giving you smelly rooms.
The Holiday Inn is adjacent to the Express & we accidentally went to that reception first & were impressed with what we saw, however we got the reality check soon after !
The Express does provide free breakfast but it is very crowded during the breakfast times. Breakfast is decent & caters well to the platter.
Swimming pool is TINY ! Don't fall for the pool thing while making your booking.
Just use this hotel if you are looking for a cheap option next to downtown.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SamTSana
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and I am very sorry we did not meet your (or our) expectations. I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly concerning your comments. I hope you will give us the chance to make improvements and come see us again in the future!