“Several miss-steps lowered our rating”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Seattle Downtown
Ranked #42 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Good value - good location - but several easily avoidable miss-steps left us disappointed. We checked in on a Thursday just after 3pm (published check-in time). They gave us the worst room in the hotel - right next to the extremely busy kitchen/breakfast area. We asked for something quieter - they moved us down the hall two rooms. It was much quieter - but we wondered why not give us this room at check in? The breakfast is above average with several hot-food options. Very crowded, we waited for a table two of three mornings - the breakfast crowd overflows into the lobby. Day two we had a paper bag of snack food REMOVED by housekeeping. Several people failed to follow through. Our third request for resolution resulted in a credit - but our confidence was gone by then. The furnace quit working - it reset several times to a 'Aux' setting which allowed the temp to drop 3 or 4 degrees; disappointing. Also, add $20 per day for parking if you drive in.

Room Tip: Street level can be noisy during weekday commute times.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Seattle Downtown

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was quite surprised by my stay here. My room was adjacent to the elevators and overlooked the front door. I figured I was about to request a room change but figured I would try it for a night. This was one of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed at! The room was standard but the bed was heaven, I wish I could have taken it home with me. They advertised a hot breakfast and a hot dinner too, I didn't expect much since I've heard this statement before. I was wrong again. Scrambled eggs, hash browns, and sausage with a couple types of juice and toast. This was every morning, some variation of eggs and all the sides, this was really good, and free! Dinner was another surprise, really good! Chicken and pasta, chicken, green beans and mashed potatoes. Chicken and pork fajitas with all the sides. This was all free and very tasty. I wanted to try some of the local restaurants but I was hard pressed to pass up these free meals at the hotel. I was very impressed with this hotel and will stay there whenever I'm back to Seattle.

Thank you Hilton!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jay B
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have spent five weeks recently in Seattle and stayed at Homewood Suites in Lower Queen Anne (Western Avenue W & 2nd Avenue W). This was my first experience at a Homewood Suites hotel and I found it to be quite excellent in all respects. The competent friendly staff made my visit most enjoyable. In particular, Chef Michael is doing an absolutely incredible job with the free breakfasts and dinners in the hotel's dining room--these include wine and beer. (This is not your usual tasteless "free breakfast" or "light hors d'ouvres" fare experienced in so many hotels.) Every day was a very pleasant surprise in terms of variety, quality, and taste. We had full, hot meals every day--Mexican, French, German, Chinese, American, Asian--and all top-notch--not unlike what you would get in a "fine dining" restaurant. When next in Seattle, I will definitely stay at this hotel--and hope to enjoy more of these fine meals prepared by Chef Michael. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for #424. Bedroom is very light and bright. It has a partial-bay view from one floor-to-ceiling...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Went to Seattle for a short weekened getaway and stayed at the Homewood Suites. The hotel itself is very nice and the location is good. Short walk to the Seattle Center, a longer walk to Pikes Market (but very nice walk along the waterfront).

The staff was AWESOME! Our flight was cancelled and there was no issue staying an extra night. After I got home, I realized I had forgotten to get a receipt from the airport limo driver. I called the hotel and they were nice enough to get a receipt, scan it in, and e-mail it to me so I can get reimbursed. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great location. Within walking distance of the Seattle Center. Rooms were spacious. The daily hot breakfast buffet was delicious. Staff were very friendly and helpful. It's in a very nice residentail area in the lower Queen Anne. Easy walk to the Olympic Sculpture park. The only compliant is the rooms are not very sound proof. But we didn't have loud neighbor. So it was not that big a deal. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was going to rate this hotel "average" which is not to say that it's a bad place to stay. As a matter of fact, it's a GREAT place to stay for many reasons, but what you'd expect from an older Hilton property. Pike Place is about a mile away so if you enjoy walking, as I do, that's not a problem. There are plenty of well-lighted sidewalks along the way and you can choose to walk along the sound if you like. But the walk might be challenging if you have trouble walking or have ambulatory kids.

Upon check in and suffering from a hard drive up from Portland, my desk clerk was much more sympathetic than she had to be. After my truthful response to "how was your drive" she gave me a big smile, said "awww" and offered free parking to make my day a little better. Just what I needed.

The next day, when my phone charger went kaput, the desk clerk (a different desk clerk) offered to try to find one he could lend me for the duration of my stay. Although he wasn't able to locate one, he genuinely tried and offered his sympathy.

Don't overlook the Queen Anne neighborhood surrounding the hotel "up the bank" from the water. It is loaded with great restaurants and shops that the locals use, vs. the "tourist" nature of Pike Place. (Which isn't to say "avoid Pike Place.")

I had a clean king suite at a very reasonable price, convenient parking under the hotel and the food is better than the usual Hampton Inn fare. Breakfast is included in the price as is dinner (and beer and wine!) on Mondays through Thursdays.

Convenient parking out front for unloading/check-in, as well. No valet and no bellman so you'll save a little money on tips, too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HoosierTravelers08
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a decent hotel for the money, if you can get a deal on it on a travel site. It's in the middle of a residential area in Lower Queen Anne -- a nicer area than most of the hotels right around Seattle Center. You're within walking distance of Seattle Center and right off Western/Elliott, which is a major thoroughfare in Seattle. However, despite facing on Elliott ("bay-facing" room), we didn't hear a lot of traffic noise.

The suite itself was quite spacious. The decor was average -- not awful but probably due for refurbishment soon, as it looks about 15-20 years old, showing some wear. A hot breakfast is free -- it's decent for a free hotel breakfast (Silver Cloud is probably a little better, but I've seen much worse in Seattle). Wifi is also free, which is unusual at a Hilton hotel. The only big extra charge was parking -- $20/night for the garage -- but as it's a residential area there's reasonably safe on-street parking all around the hotel and it doesn't seem too difficult to get a spot.

Really I only had two complaints, which were the strong, stale "hotel" smell -- really overpowering when you first walk into the room, which always makes me think they're trying to cover something up; and the housekeeping, which is a bit perfunctory during your stay (was clear they didn't vacuum or clean the bathtub/sink), although the room was clean when we arrived. Overall, this is not a bad deal for a suite in Lower Queen Anne, given the location and the prices of comparable hotels.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family