“Pretty Good”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Seattle Downtown
Ranked #40 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We had four adults in a two bedroom suite and it worked out pretty well for us. In part due to my brother being willing to tough it out on a not some comfortable hide-a-bed sofa. The suite was spacious with two big bedrooms and a large living area with kitchen. All three sleeping spaces had their own T.V.

The rooms were all very dark at night, which is good. Nothing to look at during the day which wasn't really an issue for us. Probably not for you either as there is plenty do to within walking distance of the hotel (and it is only about a ten minute walk to the free bus zone).

The free breakfast was typical in terms of food, but they did a good job of keeping the supplies up and there was way more seating than most places I've been. Nobody was forced to eat off a coffee table in the lobby or anything. The also had a free evening meal on weekdays that was a surprise. The food wasn't anything to get excited about, but it was free and so was the beer and wine. Great for a pre-game meal before heading to the ballpark.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BC-Jack63

Reviewed August 31, 2011

Stayed at this Homewood Suites since it was close to where I had a business meeting. Lots of street construction around didn't make it easy to get to. Parking cost an extra $15.00 but was in a secure garage. Got to my room, seemed nice enough. The AC unit was loud and there was a vent that couldn’t be shut off in the bathroom that was so loud I had to close the door not to hear it. There was a good amount of street noise as it is a downtown location. TV selection was OK, but no menu card so I had to flip through to find the stations. I didn’t find the bed too comfortable and the pillows were thin, one wasn’t enough but two was too much for a good sleep. Woke up at 6AM to find no hot water! A pipe had broken and was being fixed.....the front desk really didn’t seem to care, I only got a "sorry". Sorry doesn’t work when you have a business meeting and you can’t shower! Since it was a kitchenette room I was able to boil water on the stove to be able to clean up as much as possible. Interestingly I found a 1/4 bottle of wine in the cupboard when looking for a pot to boil water. This leads me to believe that housekeeping isn’t that thorough? Breakfast was typical, not special. When I did check out the manager did not charge me for the room, since they have a 100% satisfaction program. I told the manager he should have had a back up plan, maybe some baby wipes or similar for guests to use since there was no hot water. He said "Gee, we didn't think about that"! If they had and showed a bit of sympathy for the guests, it would have went a long way! This isn't a horrible hotel, it just a very bad experience so I would probably give them a second chance but they need better beds and pillows!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Travelalot31310
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This hotel is billed as a downtown hotel but it is not the Homewood Suites that is right downtown..the one downtown is the one on Pike street. In addition there is no courtesy transport to downtown but instead two cab drivers that monopolize the unloading zone for most of the day. It one of the huge disadvangtages of the hotel.

As well make sure do your laundry if you are travelling from elsewhere before you come as there are two washing machines/dryers for the whole hotel. And make sure to remember the washer is on the floor and the money goes to the left.

As well when we stayed one of the elevators was down for several days and we heard it had been broken for two weeks.

That being said this hotel has a lot of advantage...cheaper parking than downtown, a great breakfast that is replenished right til the end of it, friendly staff despite the crowds from a PAX event, clean rooms and light evening meal with free booze from Mon.to Thurs.

The biggest thing is to remember the hotel is not downtown and really should not be billed as downtown.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Goven
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We found this hotel nice and quiet. Staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful. The rooms are large with the typical suite-style separate rooms for the living room and bedroom, with kitchenette and bathroom inbetween. Location is safe and convenient to the Space Needle, but not the most conveniently located hotel. You will have a walk several blocks to find a restaurant. We were pleased with the hotel, but I will give housekeeping demerits for leaving someone else's hair in the bathtub and in the kitchen sink. Parking is limited and costs $15/night. Free parking is available on the street if you prefer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2011

The hotel itself is nice and we have stayed here prior - but usually only because the Hotel Monaco is booked and this is one of the few Seattle properties tha accept pets. However, the hotel was terribly overpriced this time, and was over $200 for one night. sorry Hilton specialty hotels, this class of hotel definitely does NOT warrant that price - or league!! Sorry!! It would also be nice if you offered your driving/ commuting guests a break on parking or free parking for one night, or something, considering you are in an area where there is literally room for about 10 or 12 guests on the street outside. It's also not the best area (between city and industrial) and it feels a bit scary to leave a $40K car outside. The place has always had chilly employees - none that I can ever remember being super friendly, but this time, two staff members on the night shift were DAMNED unfriendly, and one in the morning acted so put out, I wanted to strangle her! When asked to honor a $5 or $10 difference in rate between a smoking and non-smoking room (we don't smoke) guy at booking acted like he was doing me the hugest favor in the world putting me "making that exception." He called the smoking room "gross" in his opinion. I thought, "So why don't you clean it or overhaul it??"

My honest opinion? Though I think the location is good for being outside the downtown walking range (takes literally 2 minutes to get to the center of action on 1st Avenue near Pike Place, and 2 minutes to get up to Queen Anne) I would almost - truly - rather stay in Bellvue or Kirkland and drive back and forth, than to stay here....

Don't get me started on the vomit left on the sidewalk just outside the hotel for ... ohh... I'm guessing about 20 minutes before someone cleaned it up. Meanwhile, we were checking in over the top of it. YUK!

The best part about this hotel is, they do have one of the best breakfasts of a hotel of this type. Oh, and the lobby is quite beautiful. However, considering that it is on par with a $110 to $120 per night hotel, we overpaid for breakfast by about $90!!!

My only other observation, which is important and I think should be addressed is: I asked for a razor in the morning, because we had left it at another hotel. They were accommodating and that was great, but when I asked if they had a complimentary disposable, she just said, "Yes." Not, "Yes, we do, would you like someone to run that up for you?" I asked and she hesitated, then sent someone up. But that is NOT hospitality. Take a lesson from Kimpton's book, Hilton - you would be a LOT more competitive in these lean times!

Room Tip: Don't book last minute in evening, don't expect good service, and don't bring pets b/c t...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pixielegfiend
Reviewed August 12, 2011

close to free bus transportation, parking limited, helpful staff. rooms were large

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My friend and I stayed at this hotel at the end of July for two nights before departing on a cruise to Alaska. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They are very knowledgable about the area and willing to offer any and all information for sight seeing, food etc. They are within walking distance of the Space Needle, Pacific Science Center, Pike Street Market, the aquarium and some other great sights. I also strongly recommend City Pass to plan your trip and see all the sights economically. The breakfast and dinner each evening are a great bonus - quality food and drinks go along with a very clean, spacious room. Definitely the place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends