“Cute and cheap alternative to pricey, boring chain hotels”
Review of The College Inn

The College Inn
Ranked #95 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed June 23, 2009

This was my first experience in a U.S. Hostel (they call it European Style at this particular place) and I think it spoiled me for future stays in hostels! The private room I stayed in was moderately priced (not a, but was very clean, had a full sized bed and a sink w/ mirror.

Although like many hostels, there was nothing modern to speak of, but the owners/caretakers had obviously put in an effort in putting a personal touch on the place. Pictures and historic memoribilia are on the walls and give the place a pleasant, friendly vibe. Although I didn't get a chance to go, there was a bar in the first floor which seemed like a cool place to hang out and meet people. An above average continental breakfast was provided in a communal room. Bathrooms need a bit of updating, but they are certainly not terrible.

Most impressive was the helpfulness of the staff, in particular the guy running the reservation desk. My flight was late and therefore I missed the 11pm check in time. He generously left the door to my room open and the key inside, saying I could check in in the morning. So nice! Its things like that can often make or break a vacation and gave me a great introduction to Seattle. The guy also was very willing to give me info on public transportation, etc.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank carribeanprincessNYC

Reviewed May 22, 2009

My husband and another couple chose the College Inn for an overnight Seattle stay due to its reasonable rates and great location. Unfortunately, the staff at the College Inn is rude, uncommunicative, and dishonest.

I left a small bag in the registration office upon check-in and didn't notice it was missing until the next morning following check-out. Though their hours are posted as open until 11 AM, calls beginning at 10:30 AM went unanswered. We went back to the Inn to try and contact housekeeping at least, but got no answer at the two posted emergency numbers. We then had to leave town, and I imagined that the bag would be easily mailed to my home since the staff had been unavailable to help me retrieve it. Not so. Calls to them resulted in rude assertions that, yes, they had the bag and it would be mailed, then that it had already been mailed, and finally no response at all to emails or calls. Like another reviewer on this site, I am disputing the charges with my credit card company. And I, too, figured that they either liked the bag enough to keep it for themselves or are just too lazy and incompetent to send it on its way.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Josephine73
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Would recommend this place for location alone - right in the heart of the university district and next to central bus route for downtown. Rooms are very basic and share bathrooms not to everyone's taste but always very clean and excellent breakfast. Great value for a great location.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank UkCla
Reviewed March 20, 2009

The College Inn is a nice surprise; with lots of charm and well maintained facilities, the College Inn is an inexpensive choice while in Seattle. The surrounding amenities are fine, although if you are a bit older the loud, drunk university youth on the weekends can be a bit trying, but overall an enjoyable experience and would go back again if going to Seattle.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank SocialTraveller
Reviewed September 11, 2008

If you enjoyed living in the dorms during your college years, like my husband and I did, you'll enjoy staying at The College Inn for your vacation to Seattle. We arrived early, so we had to wait an hour before the receptionist came to check us in. We were lucky that a cafe on the corner, connected to the Inn, was open. We ordered some coffee and shared a brownie. Check in was easy and we found a lot of materials to take with us about the surrounding area. The breakfast area is in the attic, just watch your head as it's slanted because of the roof. They had a lot of breakfast items to choose from to start the day! Our room was small but good enough as we weren't going to spend a lot of time there. The bed, towels, and sink were clean, but you could tell the carpets were used, especially in the hallway. Showers were down the hallway and each private but all in one room. The Pub was connected to the Inn. We didn't eat there, but it was always busy with people going in whenever we came back from a day of sightseeing. This place was quiet, too, for a college campus. Maybe the students had left for the year already?

Granted the Inn is a few miles from all of downtown Seattle, but you can walk there (about 45 minutes) or take a short bus ride. If your feet get tired, ride the Light Rail.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 6, 2008

While I think it was a great option for the price, I wouldn't rave like the other travelers have. I do have some complaints.

We had a 2-bed room that unfortunately sits right above the pub - noisy if the windows are open at night. It seems to be a popular place and we didn't have the option to relocate in the inn.

The hallway carpeting was gross - replace it! It had bad stains and sometimes smelled.

There was enough dust in the room (baseboards, head board of bed, shelves) that I only left a small tip for housekeeping.

Also, we found communication to be lacking. We tried for 3 days to contact them about our late arrival. Luckily we got hold of them en route to our plane, but criminy - call us back! And not to offend but the Asian guy at check-in (I'm also Asian) was really not helpful at all, didn't seem familiar with the area.

However, on the up side, location was central (although I wouldn't be walking around alone after 11), breakfast & internet were free and you couldn't really hear noise from the other tenants. For the price, we were happy overall. I would probably stay there again if I wanted to save money.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank bonnie c
Reviewed June 28, 2008

I thought this hotel was charming. Customer service was great. I had never ridden a bus before, much less in a big city. The manager and owner helped figure out which lines to go on, and what to expect. I was nervous but they made me feel comfortable. Going to this hotel and Seattle, WA was my first trip alone (I'm 19) and so this hotel greeted my kindly. All the guests were very friendly, and the breakfast was quite delicious. The rooms were clean, as well as the bathrooms (yes they are shared, though I had no problem to it. Especially since it says on their site and in their hotel description on Expedia). There were lots of places to eat around the hotel. There was also a nice park with hiking trails... About a 20-30 min. walk. It was very nice and relaxing. My bed was also extremely comfortable.

In reference to other reviews:
RE: Shared Bathrooms
It says this on their site
RE: Have to ring bell to get in every-time and wait for someone to open for you.
Not true. The manager of the hotel gives you a key, and you open the door yourself. You only have to ring once when you first go into the hotel, or if you loose your key. It's there for safety reasons >.>
RE: Noise, couldn't sleep
I slept fine. Mind you I was on the 3rd floor, but still. There was even construction going on right behind the hotel at the time, and I still slept fine.
RE: small mirrors, no clean towels to conserve on water
The mirror to me was perfectly fine, no need for a 10ft mirror or anything. They DO clean your towels everyday if you wish for them to. They have a note saying something along the lines of,"To be eco-friendly and to conserve on water, we encourage our guests to reuse their towels. This conserves on energy and water.." It actually makes a big difference when guests do that. Not just for the hotel but for the environment. Even hotel 8's and hotel 6's have those up now. As well as Travelodge, and others.

1  Thank chickadee40040