“Great for the price, though no fond memories.”
Review of The College Inn

The College Inn
Ranked #93 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
London
“Great for the price, though no fond memories.”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This place is very odd- but I booked as it was a lot cheaper than anything else in the area at short notice. The place bills itself as a European style hotel but I have stayed in lots of European hotels which are nothing like this...

The rooms are clean, and the shared bathrooms also, in general clean, although at least for me they were not cleaned every day. The breakfasts were adequate, without being fancy. The staff were functional, although not 24 hours, so make sure you don't have a problem or want to arrive in the limited hours.

Location was very convenient for express bus to town centre, or for the University district. The area is interesting, lots of cheap places to eat, but did feel a little threatening after dark occasionally...

The rooms themselves were comfortable, felt like being in a college dorm. The only real complaint was that the hotel was a little noisy due to time of its construction, and location on the main road.

In all, I would stay again if the price were right; it reminds me very much of a British bed and breakfast in about 1984, in that everything is cheap, functional, but you don't expect or need a lot of service. Difficult to give this place a good or bad review, did pretty much what was expected, but I shan't remember it fondly.

Room Tip: Away from the road helpful..
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank blaknail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I mostly enjoyed my experience at the College Inn. The room was clean and comfortable. The share bathroom was also clean. The room was above the entrance to a pub, so noise at times was a bit of an issue. Great convenient location, though...close to a handy bus stop, I was able to easily get where I needed to go.

One thing I didn't like was having to heave my luggage all the way up to the third floor to reception (no elevator).

The staff were friendly and helpful - I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Comfy bed, great location, communal bathroom was clean, but… Internet disconnects every 10min, walls are paper thin, it's currently 2am and I'm listening to the drunk guys above me argue. Reception isn't 24hrs so there's no way to complain short of calling the cops or leaving a bad review here. Don't stay here on the weekends.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank roadwarrior1890
christudor, Owner at The College Inn, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments. As you can read this situation is definitely not our normal guest experience. We actually do have staff on duty overnight. For our other guests, you may reach them by our doorbell at the front or by dialing 0 from our guest room phones. I am so sorry for the rude neighbors. We are known to be a quiet Inn with responsible guests and I apologize this night it did not prove to be true. If you would be able to contact me, I would like to make the situation right.

Travelers are raving about these Seattle hotels

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I am so glad I book a room at The College Inn. My room was clean, comfortable and quaint and i loved the charm of the hotel's historic building. The front desk staff was friendly and super helpful- looking up directions and advising me on travel times to my destination in traffic. The breakfast buffet had a great variety and was so much better than any breakfast you will be served at a chain hotel! If you are looking for a clean, budget friendly option in a great location with pleasant staff members than this is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank erin h
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Hotel is located within the University of Washington Campus. It is therefore the ideal place to stay when visiting your children studying at the University.

Rooms are clean, but basic. An iron in the room to press your clothes was a bonus.

Breakfast is Buffet style therefore unlimited. Choice is decent.

The only inconvenience is that bathrooms are shared, although there are separate bathrooms for men and women (fortunately this has still not gone the unisex way). To make things worse, one of the showers was not operational, meaning waiting times were longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank giridharmurthy
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Please have no high expectations of this -so called- European College Inn, and you won't be disappointed. Being from Europe I don't get why this is called 'European' (except maybe for the showers 7 doors down the hall, that we had to share with 15 or so other hall mates). Actually found the "European" reference somewhat offensive. The location was convenient, close to bus lines to downtown and located in the eclectic U-district, walking distance to campus where I was attending a new Husky parent introduction weekend. Staying in this Inn made me feel like I was in college again and living in a student home. My hall mates were quiet luckily (that was different 25 years ago!). Anyway, I think you get the point. I was afraid of getting shocked by turning on the light above the sink, because all wires were exposed. Furniture and the entire atmosphere felt old and tired. Sorry, but probably will find another place to stay next time I visit my Husky.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Berry K
Singapore
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The stay has been nice, pleasant and no frill. Visiting University of Washington, I needed a place near to the school. The college is a short walk to the school and provided a good base to visit places in Seattle.

The room is clean, even though the room was not cleaned on the 1st day. Subsequently, house keeping standard improved. The toilet is clean and the hot water was good. Breakfast was sufficient and pleasant. The street can be noisy as my room was facing the road.

No complaint for the price I paid. Pleasant and if travelling on a budget I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Room facing away from the road may be better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo